News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Transfering some parts of a 1.1 forum to a 2.0 BETA 4

Started by TheVDM, September 17, 2008, 06:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVDM

Hi, I have 2 forums, one with SMF 1.1.6 and one with 2.0 BETA 4, I would like to transfer certain fields from the 1.1.6 forum to the 2.0 BETA 4 i.e. members and posts, but not the general forum settings..

Kind Regards
Jym

karlbenson

There is no way that I know of to do this at the moment.

Firstly there are huge differences in the mysql tables between smf 1.1.x and smf 2.x. with renamed fields, new fields etc.
So even if there was a mod, the tables would need to be updated to 2.x.

Secondly, our mysql tables are relational. So members, posts, topics etc affect dozens of tables.
So its not just a case of copying one table, but half of dozen for topics alone.

Thirdly, the next problem you would face is that you need to merge the data from two forums.  There is the problem that all ID fields would need numbering, and all the relational information re-numbered aswell.

So overall, this isn't impossible, but a very complex and task.

Essentially you require a merge script to do, however we don't currently have a functional one.  I can move this topic to mod requests if you would like.

Deprecated

I've thought of a few different ways to do it, and each time it just got more and more complicated to the point of not worth the trouble, it least by my valuation of my own time. Even importing the members could be difficult enough. You could probably take a copy of your 1.1.6 database, use the upgrade script to make it 2.0 Beta 4 compatible. Then you would use phpMySql to resequence the member numbers to begin at where your Beta 4 forum is currently assigning, then export the smf_members table and import it to your Beta 4 forum. Adjust the autoincrement and I think at least you would have imported your old member database into your new forum.

But there's always little things to nag you, like what if there are identical member names in both databases?

I think the member list is doable, but I sure wouldn't like the job of importing the posts. Unless there's some simple way but I can't think of one. The cross indexing between smf_topics and smf_messages would require simultaneous resequencing and renumbering, so as not to collide into the old database same post and topic numbers.

Advertisement: