News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Characters are unreadable after Convert!!!

Started by darklord2, September 17, 2008, 03:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darklord2

Hi,

I read all manuals and posts but none helps!

I have a VB forum and now i wanna change that to SMF, i download converter.php and other stuff and do exactly from the walkthrough and all went good but at the end my board messages are unreadable.

My VB forum posts are Persian and mySQL Collation is latin1_swedish_ci and works perfect. at SMF installation time first i checked UTF-8 and next time i skiped that.

first time and before conversion everything goes correct , but after conversion caracters are like this: گزیده اید. برای.

and in Second time from the moment right after installation caracters are like this: گزیده اید. برای.

now i'm confused! please help me... (Sorry for bad English)
P30Experts: Persian PC Experts

ThorstenE

I would recommend to install SMF in the same collation like vBulletin is (latin1_swedish_ci).. then convert your forum again and leave the UTF-8 Checkbox unchecked.

darklord2

thanks for fast reply  ;)

unfortunatly, when i leave UTF-8 box unchecked then nothing readable can be written on forum!

with UTF-8 box checked, all things are AllRight but after conversion, old posts which came from VB are unreadable and writing new posts is still Correct and readable!!!

ThorstenE

Quote from: darklord2 on September 17, 2008, 03:49:07 PM
thanks for fast reply  ;)
unfortunatly, when i leave UTF-8 box unchecked then nothing readable can be written on forum!
yes, this appears when both forums have different table- or database-collations.. you have to re-install SMF with latin1_swedish_ci collation (while installing SMF leave the checkbox for UTF-8 unchecked).

darklord2

thanks again  :)

Ok, i will do this and let you know the result.

darklord2

i did as you told.

First time:
- Drop all tables and create a new DB with Collation: latin1_swedish_ci,
- ReInstall SMF and left that checkbox for UTF-8 unchecked,
- write a sample post in persian --> it was UnReadable!
- navigate to convert.php, ISO-8857-1 choosed, conversion completed succesfuly
- Agin all posts are UnReadable.

Second time:
- Drop all tables and create a new DB with Collation: latin1_swedish_ci,
- ReInstall SMF and left that checkbox for UTF-8 unchecked,
- write a sample post in persian --> it was UnReadable!
- navigate to convert.php, UTF-8 choosed, conversion completed succesfuly
- Agin all posts are UnReadable.

My guess:
I opened my previous Vbulletin DB and my new SMF DB in phpMYAdmin, wow! both are the same...!
you know, no diffrent between posts table from VB and messages from SMF. both shows somethings like: پرسش Ùˆ پاسخ پیراÙ...ون انواع پایگاه
but when this data show through VB it's Readable and from SMF it's unReadbale.

--------------------
Wait!

after all of the above i went to Admin > Forum maintenance > convert HTML to UTF-8 and IT WORKS!  :D

Thank you very much. i owe you...  ;)

Advertisement: