News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] wowBB 1.7

Started by ThorstenE, September 21, 2008, 08:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThorstenE

Software: wowBB
Version: 1.x

This is the official support topic for wowBB converter.  Use this topic to ask for support for this converter.

Note: This was tested on wowBB 1.7 but should in theory work on other versions of wowBB  if the database changes have not been to great.

Changelog

convert.php
Use this convert.php with the .sql file attached in this topic.

Geoffw

I am converting my forum to SMF from a leased version of WowBB hosted on their server. 

For some reason the convert prog offered here will not work under these circumstances, as you sem to need to have both WowBB (a full stand alone version) and SMF on the same server.  When I FTP'd the leased WowBB to my own server and tried to run the 'Covert' program nothing happened.

So, as my forum is a relatively small community and has only been in use for a year, I am trying to copy the messages across from one forum  to the other.  a long winded and tedious process, but manageable (I've created accounts for three of the twenty regular users, and copied about five of the 290 message thread so far)

The only problem is the posting are appearing under today's date, and not their original date.  Obviously I can see why, but  would like to be able to 'edit' the dates so that I can create virtually the same database as already exists on my current WowBB.

So I suppose had two/three questions that I hope someone can shed light on:

1: Has anyone been able to 'convert' a leased Wowbb that exists on another server?
2: Is it possible to 'import' a WowBB backup database into SMF?
3: or failing the above scenarios, can one 'edit 'the date stamp on individual messages?

Cheers Geoff

***Sorry I seem to have posed this twice to the same forum!

SleePy

If you can get a database backup.
You could import it into another database on the same server. The converter just needs the configuration scripts (Usually just something like config.php, configuration.php or settings.php.

As long as it has that and it has valid data in it for the database and file paths (If you are wanting to convert attachments/avatars if the converter supports it).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

mike s

Hi all, I'm trying to give this converter a go on a test SMF 2.0RC1 forum.

1) I am currently running wowbb1.7 on a separate host (not leased from wowbb). I created a test SMF site in a separate subfolder, and have it working fine. I have not done any customization except for playing with some of the minor configuration options to get to know the software.

2) I downloaded the convert.php and the wowbb_to_smf.sql files into my main SMF subfolder.

3) I tried running the convert.php and received "The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxxx4326_smf'@'localhost' for table 'wowbb_users'  ", so I added this user to my wowbb database with only SELECT priveleges.

4) I tried again, now getting this at the very top of screen (not in a window):

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_SERVER_VARS in /home/xxxx4326/public_html/xxxxx/wowbbforum/config.php on line 26

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_SERVER_VARS in /home/xxxx4326/public_html/xxxxx/wowbbforum/config.php on line 26

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_COOKIE_VARS in /home/xxxx4326/public_html/xxxxx/wowbbforum/config.php on line 33

Below that and in a box, i get:

Converting...
Converting Membergroups... Unsuccessful!
This query:
DELETE FROM `xxxx4326_smf`.smf_membergroups
WHERE ID_GROUP >3 AND minPosts = -1;
Caused the error:

Unknown column 'minPosts' in 'where clause'

And now I am stumped, lol. Any suggestions or help great appreicated. Is there a doc file for this yet, that I have perhaps missed?

regards. Mike.

ThorstenE

the converter currently is for SMF 1.1.x only. You can convert your wowBB to SMF 1.1.8, then run the large upgrade..
Upgrade SMF

mike s

ok thanks very much.. I thought I had read it was new for 2.0 but my brain is probably overloaded lol..

I will retry under 1.8 and check my results.

appreciate the reply!
regards, Mike.

RickJ

I am trying to give detailed instructions to our webmaster for converting our forum from WowBB 1.7 to SMF.  I will, of course, point him to this thread where I see the files posted in the opening post...

But is there somewhere else where step-by-step instructions are given?

Thank you.
Rick.

(I do search before asking, so please pardon me if I missed something :) )

ThorstenE

RickJ

Thank you TE, but I did already review that link carefully.  It does not quite, though, answer my question.  If it were my own forum I'd just "wing" it, but I'm trying to get as much step-by-step info as I can for a large NPO who wishes to convert from WowBB 1.7 to SMF.  I don't have server access so I'm trying to do the best I can to refer them to step by step instructions, and include any other info that they might need too.

Is there anything beyond the docs link that you can offer as far as tips and hints? 

In my experience, something like this hardly ever goes without a hitch... Maybe I'm wrong. 

I've got several SMF forums that I admit but I've never converted one from WowBB 1.7 so I just want to get as much info as I can before taking the plunge.

Thank you for anything further that you can provide.

Sincerely,
Rick.

mike s

I'm going through a conversion from wowbb1.7 to smf as well. If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to answer. I Can show you before and after conversions as well before I take it live.

RickJ

Thanks gofi! :)

One thing we'll want to do is to do it in a new folder...and make sure it all worked right before changing links that point to it.  Is that what you'll do too?
Rick.

mike s

yes , just create a separate subfolder on your system and install it there, then run the convert. You can do lots of testing this way before going live.

RickJ

Great!  I hope you don't mind that I'll be watching you as the "test subject" :)
I'll appreciate any tips or tricks that you might share based on what you've run into along the way.

Thanks again, gofi!
Rick.

steve922

This is what I am getting...

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of wowBB 1.7. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxxxxx_smf1'@'localhost' for table 'wowbb_users'

I am running wow 1.7 trying to convert to 1.1.8

Any suggestions?
Steve

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

steve922

Quote from: SleePy on March 25, 2009, 01:06:08 PM
Please see this document:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=146192.0

Thank You SleePy.

The information in that thread did help me however now it is only converting 889 of my 36,000 posts. It is eveident that I will not be converting SMF unless I can get more help.

I am more than willing to spend some cash to get this done if anyone is willing to help.

ThorstenE

steve922, have you seen any errors during the conversion? the conversion should finish with "conversion successful".

steve922

Quote from: TE on March 28, 2009, 05:15:10 PM
steve922, have you seen any errors during the conversion? the conversion should finish with "conversion successful".

It finished with "conversion unsuccessful" It gave a rather long list of errors, all of which appeared to be posts on my wow forum.

At the very end of the report it said something about "duplicate entries"

I will try it again to give more specifics.

mike s

steve922, are you running it against a live database???

if so, try closing the board for a litlte bit and rerunning.. I would get sporadic errors when running against the wowbb board while it was still up.

regards, Mike.

ThorstenE

steve922,
edit the wowbb_to_smf.sql and find:
---* {$to_prefix}messages 200
---{

replace it with
---* {$to_prefix}messages 200
---{
$ignore = true;

this will ignore all duplicates from the messages table.

Just a note: the converter stops sometimes to avoid a server overload. Do not Click "continue".. the converter restarts after 3 seconds automatically.

Advertisement: