Beta 4 Testing ?

Started by riker, September 22, 2008, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riker

I read somewhere that Beta 4 had lots of testing and so lots of bugs were found. I'm just wondering how everyone missed the theme display issues ?.  I've gone back and looked at my sons site which still has beta 3 and that doesn't have any of the problems 4 has

karlbenson

Beta 4 has the new semantic templates. There were bound to be issues that weren't discovered by testing.

And this is why as a beta, we haven't recommended using it on live productions sites.

riker

Quote from: karlbenson on September 22, 2008, 06:42:28 PM
Beta 4 has the new semantic templates. There were bound to be issues that weren't discovered by testing.

And this is why as a beta, we haven't recommended using it on live productions sites.

Some of these issues are in your face while posting though as others here including me have shown.

Gidget Claire

I've just uploaded Beta 4 to my test board and found no issues with default themes so far. The only 'issue' I have, which isn't a major one anyway, is that I get the weird post display people reported if I try to use the same theme (Outline) as on my Beta 3.1 public forum. *Gotta wait till themes have been updated*

Friend of the friends!

Gargoyle

I have more than a few display issues.... But it's in Beta so I expect that. ;D

Gidget Claire

So far, I'm happy with Beta 4 (first time I don't get errors in my admin pannel in ages). But I need to test it more before I decide if it's worth to upgrade.

Friend of the friends!

riker

Quote from: dee nasty on September 23, 2008, 03:16:57 PM
I've just uploaded Beta 4 to my test board and found no issues with default themes so far. The only 'issue' I have, which isn't a major one anyway, is that I get the weird post display people reported if I try to use the same theme (Outline) as on my Beta 3.1 public forum. *Gotta wait till themes have been updated*

Then I don't think you've checked your forum out correctly.  I know Beta 3 didn't have any display problems but beta 4 has plenty

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=260724.msg1703877#msg1703877

Dragooon

The reason for Beta 4 having issues is that the whole HTML and CSS of the default theme was changed(To put it in simple words).

Mr ChriZ

SMF Beta 4 seems far more stable to me than IE8 Beta 2.
I was getting rendering issues on loads of sites, so i've gone back to IE7.

I'm not getting any display problems with IE7 and Beta 4.

riker

Quote from: Mr ChriZ on September 24, 2008, 04:07:05 AM

You haven't checked the examples then on the link provided and like I said on that thread IE8 Beta 2 can emulate IE7!

Mr ChriZ

Quote from: riker on September 24, 2008, 05:29:06 AM
Quote from: Mr ChriZ on September 24, 2008, 04:07:05 AM

You haven't checked the examples then on the link provided and like I said on that thread IE8 Beta 2 can emulate IE7!
I did and I'm not seeing them, however it could be because I use the classic theme.

Mr ChriZ

I can see the help issue if i change over to Core.

riker

Quote from: Mr ChriZ on September 24, 2008, 06:02:25 AM
I can see the help issue if i change over to Core.

Thats just one issue though

Gargoyle

riker it'll get fixed... It always does... ;D

riker

Quote from: Gargoyle on September 24, 2008, 09:47:54 AM
riker it'll get fixed... It always does... ;D

but that leads to another question Gargoyle.  We have been told that their "may" (fingers crossed) be a new brighter default theme like this one so surly it would have made more sense to get this new html theming tested with that instead of waiting to RC?

Gargoyle

With all due respect riker please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever coded anything ??

Just because the exterior may have its flaws does not mean that the inside didn't have a lot of work done to it.. Have you ever looked through the code and seen all of the functions?? This is more than just a little html ya know..

Plus these people do this for FREE in THEIR spare time... Also in order to display your "index" page you have about 4 .php files, a mySql database, and a bunch of images all being pulled from different places to make that ONE pretty page in your browser..

Honestly with all of the changes they have done at the code level a few small display errors are to be expected. Just the thought of a "BETA" version being perfect is a little naive don't you think??

Now with that being said I installed BETA 4 on my local machine here and I think it looks excellent! I opened the code to see the changes from 1.1 to 2.0 and they are immense!!

What they basically did was took a Ferrari and made it look like a Volkswagen but kept all the power.. I honestly don't think you understand how much work has actually gone into BETA 4..

riker

Gargoyle I have been following the progress and so read what crew members have been saying about it.   Now one of the things I seen was that Beta 4 would have been an RC if it wasn't for the html theme implementation so I think my questions are valid

Gargoyle

Didn't say they were not valid... I'm just saying they are not justified in a capacity such as this.. ;D

Advertisement: