News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Coppermine integration

Started by charlottezweb, November 07, 2003, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzy

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Cruez

I integrated YabbSE 1.5.4 with Coppermine 1.2.0 RC2.. went pretty smooth...

I would like to see Coppermine easily integrated into SMF...

Joachim Müller

yes, Jack is currently working on a bridge file for SMF (he has become a SMF charter member just to get his hands on the SMF code). There are however some problems that need to be solved first: as coppermine is released under GPL (and SMF isn't), will coppermine be allowed to integrate code bits of SMF into the coppermine-to-smf bridge file and release it with the coppermine package? Jack has already contacted the FSF on this issue (and maybe the smf team as well, I'm not sure). Maybe the smf devs could step in and allow us to release the code bits that are necessary for the bridge file under GPL (*hint*)?

There have been several requests on the coppermine support board for an easy integration of coppermine and smf so far - the numbers will rise once smf comes out publicly. I'd love to have a bridge file ready by then...
Integration of coppermine and any bbs is easy: when using bbs integration, the user management of coppermine is being replaced by the user management of the bbs (once there is a bridge file at least).

Someone on this thread has said that coppermine looks to phpbb'ish - I totally agree to that: when the current coppermine dev team took over the project in September 2003 we were forced to use phpbb as forum software, since the original coppermine site had gone down and we had to establish a forum really fast - we went for phpbb because that's what Greg, the original author of coppermine, had used in the past. I'm not happy at all with phpbb, so if smf will have a good converter script for migration from phpbb to smf, I'll go for that (again: *hinthint*)!

Re: using menalto gallery instead of coppermine as picture gallery: there have been arguments (and flames) on this before. IMO the main difference between menalto and coppermine is the server requirements: menalto needs NetPBM, Coppermine needs GD or Image Magick. When thinking about gallery integration, you should consider first: what ressources do I have on my server...

GauGau
(coppermine dev team)
[edit]corrected spelling...[/edit]
Integrate your SMF install with a picture/multimedia gallery: Coppermine Photo Gallery [nofollow]

Jeff Lewis

GauGau, send an email off to the following and we can discuss this via email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

In a nutshell, we want Coppermine to work with SMF so I'm sure we can arrange something.
Co-Founder of SMF

charlottezweb

* charlottezweb applauds

one step closer to upgrading for me :)

[Unknown]

* [Unknown] "accidently" mentions the phpBB -> SMF converter we have.

-[Unknown]

Omar Bazavilvazo

* Omar Bazavilvazo is happy to hear that the bridge is on progress because he is going to upgrade to SMF his main forum, with gallery coppermine :)

And, switching from phpBB to SMF is worth it, and as Unknown gave the hint, the converter is already done ;)

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

Ben_S

* Ben_S also cannot wait for the bridge/integration so he can get his gallery back up.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jack

Sorry guys, I really should have contributed to this thread earlier ...

Yeah, I became a charter member with three primary intentions ...

To convert the yse board I run to smf as smoothly as possible,

To convert the yse mods I've made to yse,

and to create a yse <-> cpg bridge before public release.

Unfortunatley, 'real life' has got in the way a lot  :o

I have some code myself, but nothing really functional enough for me to want to release even as an alpha.

I had approaced the yse bridge originally by duplicating an amount of code (the password checking and user profiole loading code) from yse in the coppermine bridge file. I attempted to get the 'OK' from the YSE team, but the best I could get was along the lines of "I think it's probably OK, I'll pass your question along" - which didn't really satisfy me. So I decided to link directly into the YSE code thinking that this solved all licensing requirements. I would like to re-open this communication with the SMF team, as this is (to me) the most efficient way of handling the link but have been unable to find the time to commit to it yet. I told Gaugau that I would contact Jeff, but have not done so yet. COnsider me kicked up the arse to get this done ;)

From clarifications I have (yesterday) received from the FSF, this is actually not the case & I have to amke an 'exception' to the license specifically allowing the bridge code to be linked to YSE / SMF. As most of the code is mine & we have the general blessing of Greg, I can't see this being too much of a problem. However, this way does entail loading and parsing a significant amount of the smf/yse code just to view the gallery. Something that could be a problem ionrestricted systems (I know from experience).

Basically, the direction of my work resides on whether Jeff & co would be willing to relicense some paarts of their code to me under the GPL. Whether they do so or not will not affect the availability of a SMF / CPG bridge, just it's implementations.

Jeff: No pressure from me either way here, I can work with whatever you're happy with, now that I know I can call your code from mine directly (with an 'exception' in the license), or even (as a last resort) with a 'clean room' implementation of the user profile loading code.

At the end of the day, I've been a bit lazy - and I intend to 'get my finger out' tomorrow when I get up - honest.

jack

Quote from: [Unknown] on February 02, 2004, 10:20:11 AM
* [Unknown] "accidently" mentions the phpBB -> SMF converter we have.

It wasn't as 'accidental' as me mentioning yse / smf when we moved to sourceforge ;)

Oh, and a s afinal thing to those going on about CMS's .. my main site uses YSE, Coppermine and PHP-Nuke to do what we want - we picked the best functionality from each- we couldn't do anywhere near what we currently do without all three. Let software do what it was designed for & don't expect it to do everything.

[Unknown]

I would be more than willing to work on the bridge with you and license my work in the GPL, as long as it wasn't "large portions" or anything.  However, I think it'd be helpful if you described, better, the scope of the bridge - what exactly does it do, how much code does it need to incorporate?

-[Unknown]

charlottezweb

On a side note, is it possible to have an option in the next update to allow only registered forum members to be able to view the gallery?

The mod I have installed on YSE allows me to disallow guests from creating albums or posting comments, but nothing to keep them from viewing...

Regards,
Jason

Tony Reid

Well with Spiffs mod, I stopped that by adding

if ($username == "Guest")
   fatal_error($txt[223]);

just beforethe final ?> in the init.inc.php

Not sure if it will work on the bridge mod by unknown though ???
Tony Reid

charlottezweb

Thanks Tony!!  That worked perfectly!

Jason

Tony Reid

I think it was Spiff who told me that code ;)
Tony Reid

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tony on February 07, 2004, 06:05:55 PM

I think you misread the primary meaning of my post......

-[Unknown]

Tony Reid

Quote from: [Unknown] on February 07, 2004, 10:38:21 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 07, 2004, 06:05:55 PM

-[Unknown]

I was talking about the one that you did for YaBBSE,

Tony Reid

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tony on February 08, 2004, 05:19:20 AM
Quote from: [Unknown] on February 07, 2004, 10:38:21 PM

-[Unknown]

I was talking about the one that you did for YaBBSE,

I didn't do any such mod for YaBB SE...

-[Unknown]

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

jack

Heh .. it was me :)

You'd probably be better off replacing that code with :-

if ($username == "Guest")
   cpg_die($txt[223]);

I've been working on some stuff that's either really cool or really icky (I haven't decided yet) for the SMF bridge that I will probably retrofit into the yabbse one because it will save an amount of memory on the server and will probably faster to execute - it will mean that yabbse functions unused by the bridge will not be available.

Advertisement: