News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

survive old vBulletin board crawled URLs

Started by darklord2, September 24, 2008, 07:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darklord2

i have converted my forum to SMF, so my old URLs (crawled by googlebot) not work any more, i need a Mod to pass searched Keywords to search form in a specific way...

if some one search on google i.e: "apple computer" then he will find my forum old URL (VB format) and when he click on that old URL he will go no where but index.php but we can simply check the referer url that is "www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=apple+computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8" the bold part of referer Url are my needed keywords that should pass to search form.

now i need a MOD to determine this keywords and post them to SMF Search Form and then show SMF Search Result.

i'm newbie at SMF. so, Can anyone make this MOD?!

(sorry for bad english ;) )
P30Experts: Persian PC Experts

SleePy

Well vBulletin passed topics via a showthread.php file while SMF does not.

So you could create a showthread.php that would change the querystring to make it match what SMF is looking for and send 301 redirect headers to tell google to update its links.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

darklord2

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

darklord2

darklord2

I wrote a simple code, it does what i want. so i wanna share it with anyone who switched from vBulletin to SMF and still needs his/her crawled URLS  ;)

Installation:
simply download attachments and open them in an editor like notepad, then replace any yoursite.com to forum URL i.e:www.simplemachines.org/community and then upload them to root i.e: www.simplemachines.org/community

thanks to SleePy for assist  ;D

darklord2

Advertisement: