News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

UNREADS

Started by SpectroPro, September 25, 2008, 01:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectroPro

Ok..I remember asking about this a year or two or three ago.. LOL 

I am using 2.0b3.1 and won't upgrade again until 2.0 is final..[EDIT:  I did upgrade to 2.0b4]  I want to break everything all at once.. LOL

I have 4 categories on my site.  In each, there are 5 boards  In one board, there are 2 sub boards and 10 topics...

5 of those topics are new.  2 topics inside sub board 1 are also new.

When I look at my front page, the NEW icon is shown for that board with the new stuff in it..  So I open that board.  I read one topic, and leave that board..  now, I hate this...  the icon now shows NO new topics inside..  even though I read only 1 of the 5, and nothing inside the sub boards....

I believe we had a debate on this last time...but to me, and all my users who are asking about it... this is just wrong behavior..  That NEW light should NOT go off until every post in there that I have NOT seen yet, is read.. 

Can someone tell me how to fix this?   Can this be an option in the new version?  I seem to remember many people agreeing with me years ago that it should stay on until there are no new inside..  And logic simply says..if you didn't read it, it's still NEW..

Thanks...and I hope there is a way to fix this ....  Some codes to change or a mod to install... 

- Greg
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

N3RVE

Quote from: SpectroPro on September 25, 2008, 01:01:20 AM
I am not using 2.0b3.1 and won't upgrade again until 2.0 is final.. 

Then why is this in the SMF 2.x Support Section?

When I look at my front page, the NEW icon is shown for that board with the new stuff in it..  So I open that board.  I read one topic, and leave that board..  now, I hate this...  the icon now shows NO new topics inside..  even though I read only 1 of the 5, and nothing inside the sub boards....

I think SMF marks the board as read when you view any part of it, I agree with you that it would have been cool the other way. You can request for it at the Feature Requests board.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

SpectroPro

Quote from: [n3rve] on September 30, 2008, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: SpectroPro on September 25, 2008, 01:01:20 AM
I am not using 2.0b3.1 and won't upgrade again until 2.0 is final..

Then why is this in the SMF 2.x Support Section?

I think SMF marks the board as read when you view any part of it, I agree with you that it would have been cool the other way. You can request for it at the Feature Requests board.

-[n3rve]

That was a typo..  should have said I AM USING 2.0b3.1.   I have since posting that upgraded to 2.0b4 but the question still is valid..   

I posted in this area instead of the feature request because they state there will be no more new features added..  So I am just asking the creators WHY do they do it this way.  It simply makes no sense at all to show a board as read if you have NOT read everything in that board. 

I thought that was the purpose of the 'mark all read' button.  You could open a board, mark all read, and then NOT be shown that you haven't read everything when you see the board icon again. 

If an admin or moderator thinks this should be in a different place, please, move it..  Reading the descripts of what goes where, I couldn't find a better place than this for the question...

Thanks,

- Greg
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

Rumbaar

I think it is like the same reason posts aren't recorded below the first child board, to save on system resources and queries.

The new message front board indicator is different to the 'new' post indicator.  One is sort of at board level and the other at post level.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: