News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Advanced Contact Form

Started by Deprecated, September 26, 2008, 06:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF3000

Just a question, when you get these errors, what does this actually mean, does it mean I can't install the mod because of the errors or are those edit options on the left side actually telling me how to get it working?

Deprecated

They mean:

1.) You cannot install the mod package without causing errors.

2.) On the left side, if the arrow points down that indicates which modify section is causing the error.

In the case where a file has only one modification, the cause is obvious. In the case where a file has multiple modifications the arrows tell you which modifications are the cause of the error.

Again, you should NEVER install any mod package that shows errors, with the single exception of those errors on themes that you do not use and are certain you will never use.

Note: You should take appropriate steps in user permission setup to prevent members from selecting these themes. My own forum is set up that I use only the Curve theme, and members do not have any option (permission) to select any other theme.

Deprecated

It would be interesting if you would attach copies of Subs.php and Admin.php to your next post.

Perhaps I can identify which modification or modifications are the cause your problems.

aegersz

I'm of the same mind, I only offer the Curve theme and it makes life so much easier.

I get a few complaints but at least I can easily install mods with the odd manual code change.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Deprecated

The amusing part of Curve is that you might assume the corners are round via CSS but in spite of that they are round because of clever use of sprites. I had never heard of sprites so this was an excellent means to introduce me to a new concept. Even more so when I modified my own Curve theme and had to create my own sprites.

Core is AFAIK the original SMF theme and before alternatives were introduced gave SMF forums an "all the same" look. Now with Curve and the many contributions of themers your SMF forum can have many possibilities of looking unique and interesting. I don't know if the Developers intend to drop Core in future releases but it makes sense to me that Curve is the default theme.

SMF's design having a main code module driving an implementation module driving a theme module makes a great deal of sense once you get the hang of it.

I expect when my production forum gets most of my code mods that I plan, then I'll start tinkering the theme and learn that aspect of SMF better.

Advertisement: