News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Private board uneeded code

Started by jrdeahl, October 01, 2008, 05:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdeahl

I opened up the template file again and looked at other code. I see what you mean by the confusion between php and html. Some php and html commands is or is not printed to the screen.

Basically you have to know both fairly well to intergrate into web pages and have it display correctly.

I mean you would not want php variables and their setting displayed to the screen.

I may be to old to learn this stuff. Especially out here in the boonies.

Thanks again.

John

jrdeahl

Here is what I ended up with.

Note I also had to modify 2 other files in themes/default/languages which were index.english.php and login.english.php. Removed text that displayed on the screen.

Deprecated

There isn't any confusion at all between PHP and HTML. The confusion lies in the distance between your monitor and eyes and includes the meat between your ears. ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, you need to know PHP, HTML, CSS and a smattering of other technologies to be effective at writing SMF code, although SMF is nothing unusual in that respect.

Being out in the boonies is no impediment as long as you have a reasonably fast connection. Get satellite if you have nothing else besides dial-up.

I don't see that age has anything to do with it. I bet 15 year olds have learned it, and I bet 75 year olds have learned it.

Good luck!

jrdeahl

Maybe I should have qualified that a little more.

I am a 60 year old disabled service connected veteran on 100 mg of prescription morphine a day amoung a dozen other pills for torn nerve at my neck, blocked arteries on my heart, chronic pain, chronic fatigue and fibro.

It is hard to sit still let alone learn these days.

In my younger days I was a dos dbase programmer and compiled in quicksilver. I wrote over 40 programs, most for city governments. Programs like fund accounting and utility billing.

Deprecated

Well you have my sympathy for your infirmities and I'm thankful that while I may be an old grizzled engineer, at least I can get around and my only drug is a couple aspirin at bedtime, following the theory that aspirin is a miracle blood thinner beneficial to heart disease.

Nevertheless you have all day and all night (just like me) to explore this wonderful world of Internet-space, and your enthusiastic questions indicate to me that you are intrigued to learn more, so I urge you to do the best you can and to investigate the URLs that I provided. Good luck! :)

jrdeahl

Yep. I did. Already been there. Some good stuff at w3school. Thanks.

I have 6 websites, but only a couple of forums. I used to run phpbb which is a good board but doesn't have the features of smf. I got tired of adding mods that some didn't work right.

And when I needed to do a closed board for several reasons, one of which was the dumb as*es that would try to register on this board.

Even though there was a webpage infront of the board they had to go through that stated they had to sign up to be a volunteer before they could register to join board, they would not signup to be a volunteer, yet tried to register.

Get this, the board is for USA  only purposes and I would get people from all over the world trying to register. Probably to get at the protected directory of 200gb of video files.

I wondered if these were actual people or bots trying to register (one of the reasons I wanted to trim down the login screen for non registered people).  Since I have gone the private board of smf not one false register. 

Do not have to delete half a dozen people several times a week now.

By the way, the best doseage of asprin for heart is 80mg a day.

Thanks again.

John

Deprecated

I know the 80 mg thing, but I'm convinced that aspirin eases the aches and aliments of the day, so I take two. I've been doing this for at least 20 years, and as you can see it hasn't killed me yet.

Running an Internet based business is a great business opportunity for people with disabilities. We are all equal here as long as we can see, think, and wiggle our fingers. :)

jrdeahl

I am not running any businesses from the websites though, wish I was.

I don't know about you but it is awfully hard to stay awake let alone think on 100mg of morphine each day.

I live in Iowa, snow country. The winters are hard on the elderly and infirm. Last winter I thought I would not make it through another one. I guess I will see with this one coming up.

Of course the doctors and nurses can not believe I am still standing. They think I should have the heart surgery right away. I am not going to though. If they can not fix the nerve injury problems causing the cronic pain, etc there isn't any point.

The effects of years on morphine, if nothing else, will kill me in short order anyway.   

Chronic pain doesn't kill you, it just makes you want to do it yourself.

I just watched the F1 grand prix qualifying and that little amount of tension agrivates the damaged nerve at the base of my neck enough I have to put a heating pad on it and a neck brace around where I have 3 plates in my neck.

Oh, the fun of it all.

I hope your health is good. Take care of it. It is the only body you have.

John

Deprecated

I'm in as good a shape as anybody my age, some of the parts creaky or broken but all the essential ones are all working. I take care as best I can, which like most people is most of the things I should do but not all. I have all the shortcomings that most people have including sometimes not doing what is best.

Good luck John!

Advertisement: