News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

IE6 Quick Reply layout problem

Started by casp3r, October 02, 2008, 04:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

casp3r

The quick reply box work fine in Firefox and IE7 but I have a slight problem with it it IE6

Pic1 - Shows the quick rely box when you first go to a post

Pic2 - Shows what happens as soon as you start to type in the reply box - note how the text area extends

Pic 3 - Shows what happens when the text reaches the right hand side of the text area - it doesn't wrap

When the text is posted everything is posted - even the stuff that you can't see past the edge of the text area.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

SpectroPro

I have users also seeing this same problem.  And also using IE 6.x..  I have told them and all my members... 

Upgrade to 7.x cause it doesn't exist in 7.x OR, even better, I told them to all get a real browser.  These graphical issues ONLY occur in IE anything..   Don't forget, MS thinks they are above the rest of the world, and thus, don't have to follow W3 standards..they think THEIR standards should be followed by everyone.  MANY developers have stopped trying to make their stuff work with IE.  I did.  I can design a site, and it will work in every browser except IE..  I had one client demand that I not alienate their IE users since they were 85% of their user base... What took me 4 hours to do and worked in every other browser, took me another 35 hours to make work in IE.  These were graphical errors...  Fix, test, fix, test, etc... 

It simply isn't fair to ask developers to program to an inferior crap outdated and garbage browser.  This is just my thoughts of course... and this is what I have posted on my site.  We already found some HUGE graphic errors in all version of IE (including 8) and I decided that if people want to use it, they will just have to live with the site looking like crap..  Or, they can upgrade and get Firefox or Safari.. 
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

casp3r

I totally agree with what you're saying but like you I have a lot of users how are using IE6 so I have to cater for them too :)
Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

SpectroPro

Yeah, but that's where we differ.. I won't cater to them.  :)   I have never had ANYONE give me a good reason (or any cept they are lazy) for NOT upgrading to a better browser..  And I ask..I would LOVE a great ... or even half assed reason. LOL    My God, the reason I first ever got FF was that it uses about 1/2 - 1/4 the system resources of IE.. Has tabs (ok...  had tabs from the start...in other words for YEARS before MS finally said, hmm..people want tabs..idiots..hehe) and I could just go on and on... It uses way less memory than IE... 

But, I have found, that very few people, when told WHY you won't spend your time modifying things... (if like this, a forum, where YOU CAN inform them...) won't upgrade or change..  Many people, especially older people are just plain scared to install something..  But if you tell them the reasons to change, and explain how easy it is..  MOST will..  and those that don't, can just live with the problems...  Heck, you can even use FF now with any site that requires IE, by using the IE tab addon..  You can set it to use the add-on always for certain sites..  Thus, you get the best of both worlds in ONE browser.. :)

Good luck..
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

Rumbaar

Is this for BETA 4?  I think I read it's a known issue with IE and BETA 4?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

casp3r

Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

Rumbaar

Have you tried a search for BETA 4 related IE layout issues?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: