News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

smf 2.0 beta 4 hacked :(

Started by Leper, October 10, 2008, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leper

Originally i had beta 3 installed and it was hacked, i then was able to upgrade to beta4 and restore... i just noticed that it was hacked again... not sure whats going on but i did file a report here...

I am using bluehost, what is the best way to get to the bottom of why this is happening? ... does anyone have a process they follow in order to figure out how it was hacked?...

Any help would be appreciated...

~ Hacked by Fraan!

DirtRider

I think you should also post a link to your forum it may help
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

nukinfuts

No offense but you were "hacked", and then it happens again after an upgrade so it sounds more like admin and/or host error. A link to the forum as well as some details as to exactly what happened will be useful to finding the problem.

SlammedDime

You would have to be far more descript as to how you were actually hacked and what actually happened.  If files were edited, it is far more likely to be an insecure host or insecure scripts on that host.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

TheWrath!

how did they hack your website?

bros

Link to forum

Also, bluehost isn't the best of hosts. Oversells and has script kiddies on it.

Leper

Seems settings.php was modified or replaced, permissions on it are set to 640. $Maintenance =1; then the title / message...

$mtitle = '~ Hacked by Fraan!';      # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage = '~ Hacked by Fraan!';      # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

SlammedDime

Ok, again, you have to be far more descript on how you were hacked.  Is that the only thing changed on the whole forum?  Did someone create a new admin account on your board?  Be descriptive... exadurate, write paragraphs if you have to.  The more information you give us, the more we'll be able to help.  Conversely, the less info you give, the less we can help.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: