Moving posts between topics

Started by L0nk, October 13, 2008, 12:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L0nk

Hi,

I am having a minor issue on my forums. Moderators complained I wouldn't have enabled the functionality so that they can move a post from one topic to another (and I guess you know how often it happens that users post in the wrong topic). Well, I checked myself.. and oops.. this feature doesn't seem to be there at all. The only way I saw for doing so would be splitting the topic the user accidently posted in, thus extracting the one post and merging it with the target topic which would be a little awkward.

Is there a mod allowing to "Move post into another topic" or is there an option I just fail to see.

SMF Version is 1.1.6

Thank you,

Lonk

DirtRider

I have not seen such a mod at all
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

Deal

I just signed onto this forum to find the exact same answer. I would like authorize mods to be able to quickly move a selected post from within one topic into another topic.

SlammedDime

There is no 'default' way of doing this on SMF.  i'm not sure there are any mods to do this either.  I'll move this topic to the mod requests board.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Marcus Forsberg

SpectroPro

I requested this exact thing a while back (month or two.)   

This is a stock feature of most other boards and is an essential part of any good moderators arsenal..  While I love the split topic feature, and it is quite powerful, it doesn't address this very simple and NEEDED feature. 

The ability to select one or multiple posts and then move them into another topic is missed soooo much if you come to SMF from other boards...

The check boxes on topics is just how it should be done for posts as well..  This way, you check the box of the post(s) you want to deal with.  At the bottom of the page, would be a selection tool, just like on topics...   You tell it what you want to do with the selected posts, and if it's move, then you drop down a list of boards and topics to choose from. Should also include delete, moderate, etc...  anything you can imagine to do with a post should be a choice.

oddly, the check boxes are already included in posts, but they do nothing that I can find. 

Greg

----------------
Greg is currently listening to: Jimmy Buffett - Thank God The Tiki Bar is Open (Rare)
via FoxyTunes
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

shumilica

i'll bump this topic. I would be an important mod... but what do I say mod? It has to be part of SMF feature list....
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

ShawnH

lurkalot

I can see the split topics option, and the merge topic option, and can use this to move posts, but it's a very long winded way to do it.  If someone posts by mistake to the wrong thread, there doesn't seem any easy way to simply move it to the correct thread.   

Any chance someone could make a mod for this please?  A "Move post" function  To move individual posts to another thread.  I find it hard to believe that SMF doesn't have this basic feature. 

Permissions = for Admin, and Global moderators.

Feature Set =  (not essential for me) But maybe a select multiple posts from a thread, and move.  Like the merge topics feature.

More details as discussed here,
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=302009.0

TheListener

There is a mod which can be used.

If a person finds they are typing in the wrong section then a dropdown can be used to post the topic into the correct area.

Is this what you mean?

bbmtalk

I think it is a great idea to have a mod that moves posts just like moving topics.

Splitting and then merging are confusing and very inconvenient.

bbmtalk

Arantor

The only thing I would wonder about in terms of having a problem with this is ordering of posts.

Ordering of posts is - contrary to popular belief - not in order of timestamp, but in order of post id. Usually it's OK but sometimes it can confuse matters quite heavily.

Edit: will merge with the other thread recently bumped on this.

bbmtalk

Thanks for merging them.

Quote from: Arantor on September 05, 2009, 03:38:05 PM
The only thing I would wonder about in terms of having a problem with this is ordering of posts.

Ordering of posts is - contrary to popular belief - not in order of timestamp, but in order of post id. Usually it's OK but sometimes it can confuse matters quite heavily.

Isn't post ID based on the time it is created? I guess I am just thinking if both (time stamp and post IDs are correlated), sorting won't be an issue, right? 

I have no idea what I am asking about. Please just ignore if it is nonsense.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on September 05, 2009, 03:38:05 PM

Thanks for the merge. ;)

As for ordering of posts.  Wont it just work like the merged topic, and stick it on the end of the thread?

Arantor

The merge didn't just put them at the end. It put them in order of post id, as the titles are interspersed.

Topics are very definitely in order of post id; there are posts of mine that have timestamps hours out of the others.

It isn't that difficult to do since it is a variation on split/merge code however you'd end up having to code it to support quick moderation too, which complicates things.

Arantor

This will get done as and when someone decides to do so. Bumping it won't make it happen any sooner.

It's actually a fair amount of work to do - which is why no-one has taken it up before.

jeff_perez

Quote from: bbmtalk on September 05, 2009, 02:38:03 PM
I think it is a great idea to have a mod that moves posts just like moving topics.

Splitting and then merging are confusing and very inconvenient.

I thinks so to.

live627

I can take this on.

My base fee is $10.00 USD

Any less than I forget it. However, members requesting this mod have the ability to pool their money, hmmmm...

Advertisement: