News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Deleting Account

Started by davewinfield, October 13, 2008, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewinfield

Hi all,

A general question: What would happen if I completely deleted my account on a forum? What info would the admin's file still have (i.e. email, old posts, general information about me ascertained through my profile)?

Also, if for some reason I wanted to register again, I wouldn't be able to use my same email and username, correct?

Thank you kindly :),

DW

Gary

You get the option of deleting the posts if you wish when you delete the accounts, and in 2.0 admins can re-attribute guest posts back to an account in the Maintenance area of the admin center.

If the username is deleted then you can re-register using the same email and username as it is no longer taken.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

davewinfield

Quote from: Gary S. Ghoulsdon on October 13, 2008, 04:21:12 PM
You get the option of deleting the posts if you wish when you delete the accounts, and in 2.0 admins can re-attribute guest posts back to an account in the Maintenance area of the admin center.

If the username is deleted then you can re-register using the same email and username as it is no longer taken.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response! I'm bummed about my posts being saved by the Admin, but do you suspect he still knows my email address? (By the way, I deleted my account exactly one day after registering).

Secondly, if I re-register, I'd have to create a different password, correct? Would there be another activation email I receive?

Thanks so much for your help!

Gary

Quote from: davewinfield on October 13, 2008, 06:16:17 PM
but do you suspect he still knows my email address? (By the way, I deleted my account exactly one day after registering).
It's hard to say, he might, if he has a good memory or stores member's email addresses in an external document, as once an account is deleted, SMF no longer stores email addresses.

Secondly, if I re-register, I'd have to create a different password, correct?
No you would not. In actual fact, it is entirely possible for more than one member to have the same password.

Quote from: davewinfield on October 13, 2008, 06:16:17 PMWould there be another activation email I receive?
If that option is turned on by the admin, yes.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Deprecated

Quote from: Gary S. Ghoulsdon on October 13, 2008, 06:52:37 PM
but do you suspect he still knows my email address? (By the way, I deleted my account exactly one day after registering).
It's hard to say, he might, if he has a good memory or stores member's email addresses in an external document, as once an account is deleted, SMF no longer stores email addresses.

Unfortunately for the OP members email addresses are also stored with each post, in the smf_messages table. Even if he changes it I expect the old address would be in the smf_messages unless SMF does an update when the email is changed, but I don't see any good reason to do that. I don't see any reason to store the email in that table either, but it's there.

Advertisement: