News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[URGENT]ERROR IN MOVING DATABASE TO NEW HOST!!!

Started by indra00, October 14, 2008, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indra00

I am presently changin my hosting domain and hv moved to a new domain

I hv downloaded and uploaded all old files into the new domain(except files with ~ extension ...i thiink they r not necessary.right?)

Now my problems are----

I am not being able to import database using phpmyadmin in my previous host! don know why ???

But I imported backup database from my old forum's maintainace option...Will that suffice???

Now my previous hosts database name and new name is not the same...as my new domain(free) automatically inserts a prefix to created database name...

So how to solve it???

When I use new servers phpmyadmin to import the database file downloaded through smf-maintainace ....it is showin lot of errors

Please tell me what to do??? i'm basically a noob in these things

ITS URGENT AS MY SITE IS DOWN FROM LAST 48 HRS...PLZZ REPLY SOON

If any support member can personally do the edits it will be a lot o' help

(i saw that u can offer for doin help ...I dont hv nething except a rapidshare account lastin 22nd)

FORGOT TO ADD!!!!!!!

I HV UPLOADED MY FORUM FILES TO MY NEW SERVERS ROOT FOLDER WHEREAS IN PREVIOUS SERVER IT WAS UNDER /forum/ DIRECTORY....HOW TO FIX THE PATH TOO????

Deprecated

Quote from: indra00 on October 14, 2008, 07:24:33 AMNow my previous hosts database name and new name is not the same...as my new domain(free) automatically inserts a prefix to created database name...

Your problem is caused by phpMyAdmin's "foreign key check" feature. This feature is intended to prevent you from accidentally restoring a database to the wrong database server by comparing names and refusing if the names are different.

You can do one of two things:

(1.) Make your backup via phpMyAdmin and check all the settings you normally use, and additionally check the box "Disable foreign key checks."

or

(2.) If your database is not excessively large you can use the same kind of editor you use for modifying SMF's PHP files (e.g. Notepad++ or Notepad2, but NOT Windows Notepad) and you can delete the line that begins CREATE DATABASE `database_name_here` ....

Having done that you should be able to upload that file to your new database server.

My own preference is to use phpMyAdmin for database backups and restores. I prefer to not use SMF's own backup because I have never been able to get those to work when I upload them. YMMV

indra00

I HV UPLOADED MY FORUM FILES TO MY NEW SERVERS ROOT FOLDER WHEREAS IN PREVIOUS SERVER IT WAS UNDER /forum/ DIRECTORY....HOW TO FIX THE PATH TOO

when i am clickin on export and then checkin the boxes go button....my page just goin on loadin ...nothin downloadin!!! any suggestion??? internet problem or what ???

Deprecated

You can fix the path using repair_settings.php

What is repair_settings.php?

Check your settings and verify that you have checked "save as file" and it might speed things up to also check "zipped."

How big is your forum in terms of number of posts and number of members?

indra00

Quote from: Deprecated on October 14, 2008, 08:26:08 AM
You can fix the path using repair_settings.php

What is repair_settings.php?

Check your settings and verify that you have checked "save as file" and it might speed things up to also check "zipped."

How big is your forum in terms of number of posts and number of members?

not big!! just 200 members........ and  around 400 posts

Deprecated

That shouldn't be big enough to have size issues with downloading/uploading databases.

Did you give it enough time to complete? Or if it timed out, what error messages did you get?

indra00

no...it ws jus some server problem...hv downloaded the db
will try restorin tonight
will tell if it doesn't work

leonardus

i've tranfert my dbase and my host. Thank you, but now there ia a problem.

i use black rain theme and i've installed nneonneos shout box. there is an error:
Strict Standards: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead in /users/u/n/d/undergroundgroup/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 823

just before and just after the admin control [history] [command]...
can you help me?

thanks!

EDIT: Don't worry. i found the error! thx anyway.

Deprecated

Oh no!!! I got that too once, and can't recall how I fixed it.

It would nice if you could post a very brief description of how you fixed it. For posterity. :)

Advertisement: