News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum etiquette and behavior

Started by Jeff Lewis, February 03, 2005, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkie101

I can, its basically to make the owner embarrest and to try and degrade them somewhere else, its a real stupid action that some take, Ive had it done before to me, its just there to anger the owner. Crap trick really. 

Winters

Quote from: Bitwiz44 on March 06, 2005, 09:03:45 AM
I have had my share of these people with BI-Polar or other Mental diseases.

Oh yeah, same here. Uhm, but... I am curious...

And when you ban them, they threaten to come here (SMF LINK ) and Trash this forum, un-less they 'Un- Banned".

How did you know these people were coming from your board? Did they choose the same nickname or something like that?

Michele

I have had my share of these people with BI-Polar or other Mental diseases. And when you ban them, they threaten to come here (SMF LINK ) and Trash this forum, un-less they 'Un- Banned".

I gotta say I take offense at this statement. Do you have any idea what Bi-Polar actually means? That, and other mental illnesses cause no problems if properly diagnosed and treated.

Personally, I've never been banned from a forum, never threatened anyone, and always treat others with respect. Mom always said, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."

And if you ever want to get support for my SMF portal, I think an apology is in order.  8)
Dubito ergo cogito ergo sum

[Unknown]

Some of my best friends are autistic, and I know I'm totally insane.

-[Unknown]

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Michele on March 15, 2005, 11:11:49 AM
I have had my share of these people with BI-Polar or other Mental diseases. And when you ban them, they threaten to come here (SMF LINK ) and Trash this forum, un-less they 'Un- Banned".

I gotta say I take offense at this statement. Do you have any idea what Bi-Polar actually means? That, and other mental illnesses cause no problems if properly diagnosed and treated.

Manic depression? Yes, I know what it means, so have to say I agree 100% with Michele here in finding that statement both nonsensical and offensive!

Michele

Thanks guys... I know without my combination of anti-depressants, I don't function well at all. :)

Oh, and LSP/Enigma is coming along nicely.  ;)
Dubito ergo cogito ergo sum

MrFlicks

Quote from: Trekkie101 on March 06, 2005, 09:25:24 AM

To me, Its a form of "Cyber Terrorism", Let them trash your board or they will click the link at the bottom and trash SMF.

As I have said many times, Our best defense would be if we could ban by CPU ID or Windows ID.

Tell them thye should come here, then the developers could ban them from every copy of SMF ever  :P

Can I help with that? LOL

I hate threats bullys and ****Holes (Though dont want to get involved in that use of idntifying the same with those challenged by conditions mentioned that can be used in a deregatory way!)
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

xd3vilx

Such Simple Rule Of Course We Will Follow...

sirknight

I Think this fair and just for all of us..We should be responsible in all our post.

mumphster

Hey, more power to you, and thanks again for a great product.  I'm chomping at the bit for the ubiquitous e-mail feature 1.1 as the non-profit I maintain smf for won't pay to be charter.  however, smf is so good I won't hold it against you, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Bitwiz44

Quote from: Michele on March 15, 2005, 11:11:49 AM

And if you ever want to get support for my SMF portal, I think an apology is in order.  8)

???
I am trying to see this as a mis- reading of what my point was.

the Problem is very real.

Read this first post:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=31654.0

Then, If you have a 'Better" explanation,  Please describe what kind of "mind" does this. Why, would someone deliberately be hostile to another member Here? My post clearly was in reference to "My Board', in no way directed to any member of SMF.

Miraenda

I don't necessarily think it is someone with a mental disorder, it could be a young kid who gets their kicks from messing with people.  It could be a group of hackers that again get their kicks with messing with people.

The problem here is that you labelled a whole group of people as the ones trolling who have mental disorders when you don't even know who these trolls are or what their mental capabilities are.  I have mental disorders, and I was not very pleased by your comment either.

If you have not had contact or friends with mental disorders, rather than make an assumption about the whole group (those with mental disorders) and then displace that assumption to label another group (trolls) as being the same group, why don't you just complain about trolls as they are without assuming their mental state?  Judging and labelling are the 2 worst aspects of human behavior on the planet, they cause discord and animosity between people and groups.  If you cannot understand why what you said was inappropriate, then you have as much to learn as the trolls on your board do.

Bitwiz44

Quote from: Miraenda on May 11, 2005, 07:30:20 AM
I don't necessarily think it is someone with a mental disorder, it could be a young kid who gets their kicks from messing with people.  It could be a group of hackers that again get their kicks with messing with people.
Lets see, Hmmm.. "gets their kicks" . This action, comes from someones "Mind" does it not? Or are you believing this is strictly a physical action they are not in control of?

The problem here is that you labelled a whole group of people as the ones trolling who have mental disorders when you don't even know who these trolls are or what their mental capabilities are.  I have mental disorders, and I was not very pleased by your comment either.
so, this 'Hit" a nerve with you, yet you will state you have never been a Troll?

If you have not had contact or friends with mental disorders, rather than make an assumption about the whole group (those with mental disorders) and then displace that assumption to label another group (trolls) as being the same group, why don't you just complain about trolls as they are without assuming their mental state? 
This is also an assumption on your part, you don't not know the level of experience that I possess.

Judging and labelling are the 2 worst aspects of human behavior on the planet, they cause discord and animosity between people and groups. 
Why is it the worst? Would it not depend on the "label"?

To me, your post is another form of Trolling. I clearly Stated my comment was NOT directed to any member of SMF. Yet, You 'Jump" into this "Baiting" and dodging the "question' with no relevancy. Categorizing is common practice when one describes in communication. You state "judging" is a bad thing, and turn right around and 'Judged" me. Thats Confusing and misleading the reader, or "Acts of Trolling".

The beginning post, was a request by SMF. I merely stated that "More" power to keep out these "Trolls", and emphasized "My" board's Issue. It did not require any concern of any member of SMF of "How" I describe the issue on my board, unless they have a another agenda for being here.

And, ones mental state does govern their actions or behavior. For anyone who gets their 'Kicks" by distruction, causing confusion, causing Kaos, doesn't indicate a "Acceptable" mental state in society. Of course, by your definition, "acceptable and un- acceptable" would be judgment and labeling.

Finally, This thread has gone off topic. I refuse to continue this "baited" senerio. I'm certain Jeff did not start this thread to turn it in a "Crusade" by a few.

SkipBaker

I thought this was how one responded to editorials in the Boston Globe, so I joined the forum so I could send a thank you note for their editorial about pain and why OxyContin should be saved for those who suffer. But now Im not sure if this if only for the Boston Globe.

Skip Baker

SkipBaker

This is s test. I can't seem to get into the forum for the Boston Globe..

Skip Baker

SaltedWeb

I am still pretty much a newbie to this group.

But not a newbie to life experiances.
But I think the basics still apply.

I am a business owner who interacts both in person and, electronically. ( email phones, forum etc) I am often on a physical job site or taking a call.  If there is a horizon of personalities I have met them from 18 - 98 years old ( no joke).

I dont think you need to coddle anyone, in fact often times a disablity
may only seem that way to what you are seeing, and not what they feel. Its not a disability to them its a disability to us not to be able to identify a proper means of communication.
And we can not be expected to meet everyone needs and make everyone always feel warm and fuzzy. Thats not reality either.
That said, you should treat ppl, as human being.

And if we cannot meet the persons need be honest and open and say,
I am sorry but I am not in the position to support what you need done.

I know this may not meet the political correctness we thrust upon this country.  But its reality, none of us can please everyone all the time.
But we can all be nice given the times we cant.

Sorry about the soap box was just my two cents

Paul

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

NOS ChromeNut

:o Well, with the exception of the exceptions to the bipolar comments, I think that restating the agreements that users/members on these forums have agreed to is quite agreeable... now I'm lost. Anyway, part of the reason I'm moving away from phpBB and considering SMF (I'm about 80% convinced) is that on the phpBB forums you will find not just users/members entering inappropriate comments, but you will find some of their Developers literally attacking other members because of their posts.   I asked a simple question on one of the forums there and basically got the snot beat out of me by one of their developers because I had missed the answer to that question in a previous post, this was on a thread with 24 pages!  Like I'm going through 24 pages for a simple question!

Anyway, you can't please everyone all the time, and if your moderators are doing their jobs and you allow open, honest criticisms to be posted, then you're doing a better job than most.  So far I give SMF and their Forums extremely high marks.  As to the bipolar comments, again you just can't please everyone, and some people are just more sensitive than others. . . and before you go off on me about being lenient, I have a daughter with multiple handicaps and I have exceedingly thick skin, which you grow into in dealing with idiots and morons who ask stupid questions and make stupid comments.  If it offends you, but it's not truly entirely offensive, then shrug it off... that's my motto anyway... ;D

NOS ChromeNut

??? Oh, meant to state that if you find my avatar offensive I'll be more than happy to remove it... I'm just a bit nutz... :P

DaveMost

Jeff I agree 100%. As a new user and member here, my only comment is that this should be the case on both sides. The few posts I have made, the replies seem harsh and unfriendly. I belong to several forums and new members are usually welcomed. However, in my case, maybe it is isolated. I have read a lot of your posts in trying to learn my way around your forum and notice most replies are friendly.

I will say this, you have a fantastic product and look forward to learning more and maybe I'll become a charter member, but my thought is friendliness should be extended to all and if that is done  more people will become charter members in appreciation of being treated with respect.

Thanks for your time
Steve

BlackMagicWoman

Seems all Angels has come together  ;D

Advertisement: