News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Image posting (image hosting?)

Started by TheCulprit, October 16, 2008, 12:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCulprit

Ok I'm brand new to this, and I honestly dont understand very much of it at all. I've managed to get a forum up and running, basically just using your tutorals.
hxxp:www.saintsofshadow.com/forum [nonactive] (small gaming clan site.) it's version 1.1.6, with a custom theme I got from smf themes page.

I want my members to be able to place images directly in thier posts, which it looks like should work, but it isnt.
Ive gone through my Admin center, enabled all attachments, and they still arent coming up. I'm very confused. I thought maybe the file sizes could be the problem so I upped the maximum file sizes, still didnt work. Someone suggested to me that I have to have the images hosted - but I understood that I only need a host if I was storing an image gallery on my main site, not for user posts in SMF...is that not right?

Very lost, very ignorant of this whole process.
Thanks for your help. 

N3RVE

Welcome to SMF, TheCulprit :)
If you want the users to post the images in the reply (not as an attachment), you need to have them hosted somewhere, then use the image URL with the [img][/img] tags.
e.g. [img]http://oxynerve.net/avatars/avatar_script.php[/img]

Alternatively, they can attach to a reply. See the instructions at the Help section of your forum.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

N3RVE

Quote from: TheCulprit on October 16, 2008, 01:11:50 PM
So if they insert an image as an attachment, using [img]http://filename - maybe a picture of a cheese wheel or a hotair ballon[/img] ,
then that image doesnt actually show up in the post when the next member views the reply? 

It will work, if the link outputs an image and your members use the [img][/img] tags, the image would be visible in the post.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

pspmichael

The way we do it on my site is to upload the file to one of many online storage sites, such as PhotoBucket, Xdrive.com, etc.  You can set up one account for the forum or just have everyone create their own.  Once stored, simply place the URL between the [img] [/img] command. 

This works MUCH better than having the files stored on your own server!  I learned the hard way that your users can very quickly make a folder on your server so large that it won't back up correctly.  Even if you could store the graphics and photos on your forum server, you are much better off using the other method.

N3RVE

TheCulprit, is this issue resolved?
I can see you removed a reply.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

Advertisement: