News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Putting a message on the login screen?

Started by jonboy99, October 17, 2008, 11:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonboy99

Hi folks, what is the best way to put a message on the login screen?  Doesn't have to be complicated, will most likely just be to inform users if there has been a rearragement of the forums, change in terms and conditions etc which they see when they login.

I don't want to have to send unsolicted emails to do this, and many people only read one forum so can't put it as a sticky post unless it's going to be in all forums.

Do I need a full blown portal, or can do it simply?

cheers

Jon

PS I should have put this in the admin and functionality section I think, sorry.  Feel free to move.

H

Welcome to SMF.

Depending on where you want the message to go it shouldn't be too difficult to manually add the message to the relevant file.

You could also try one of these mods which you could use to redirect the user to an info topic:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1364
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1443
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

jonboy99

Thanks Huw.  The redirects look an option, but a message on the login screen, anywhere really would be better.  My forum requires login before seeing any forums, so there is simply an almost blank screen with the username and password boxes when you go to the forum site.  Anywhere on there would be fine - is there a suitable file to edit?

H

Easiest way would be in the login.template.php of your theme. You'll need to echo them.

You may also want to edit index.template.php if you have login boxes on the homepage :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

jonboy99

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)