Problem Upgrading to 1.1.5 (Language files related.)

Started by Arwym, July 28, 2008, 06:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arwym

Greetings.

Today I decided to help a friend set up new forums for his community, and took an existing installation of SMF version 1.1.2 (I think that was it).  So I decided to upgrade it to 1.1.5, and followed the instructions on the manual.  I downloaded the Large Upgrade from the Download page.
I have uploaded and overwritten the corresponding files, and changed the permissions on the files where it was necessary.  After that, I tried to run the upgrader, and got this warning:

Supposedly, there are old or outdated files in the languages folder.  However, I checked that folder, and everything had been uploaded successfully.  Yet I decided to re-upload everything and see if it worked.  It didn't, since I got the same message.  So I deleted the Themes/default/languages folder and uploaded a copy of all those files from the full installation of SMF 1.1.5, but that didn't work.  I still the the same message.  I reloaded and reloaded, even cleared the cache, just in case.  Nothing.

I still went and checked whether the forums had been upgraded to 1.1.5 or were still in the older version.  Supposedly, they are in version 1.1.5 but everything's messed up now.  That doesn't surprise me, but then, what is it that I did wrong?  Or is it a bug?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.  And if you need any more information, please let me know.

Thank you.

Arwym

I am not sure of how often I can bump, so please tell me if it's not allowed.  I've waited some hours and still not a single response.  I don't want this thread to get to the second page.  :(

I really need to solve this problem.  Any help, please...  I'll thank you very much.

redone

What exactly is messed up now on your forum? I am not sure why you had these issues.

Arwym

Language files related, like I said.  All those strings of English text aren't showing.  The copyright is missing, according to a warning that appears at the bottom of the forums.  It's as if it had upgraded successfully, except for that part of the language files.

N3RVE

Hello Arwym Starlight!!
Users often get that error when they are some old language files in the language_dir, these files could be associated with a mod or another language pack that the forum uses.
Please, login via FTP (How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?),
navigate to ./Themes/default/languages, backup delete every file from there then upload fresh files from the 1.1.5 Large upgrade package then attempt the upgrade.
Report back here to let us know how it went.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Arwym

Quote from: [n3rve] on July 30, 2008, 01:01:46 PM
Hello Arwym Starlight!!
Users often get that error when they are some old language files in the language_dir, these files could be associated with a mod or another language pack that the forum uses.
Please, login via FTP (How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?),
navigate to ./Themes/default/languages, backup delete every file from there then upload fresh files from the 1.1.5 Large upgrade package then attempt the upgrade.
Report back here to let us know how it went.

-[n3rve]

Hello, n3rve.  :)

I am quoting part of the first post:

QuoteSupposedly, there are old or outdated files in the languages folder.  However, I checked that folder, and everything had been uploaded successfully.  Yet I decided to re-upload everything and see if it worked.  It didn't, since I got the same message.  So I deleted the Themes/default/languages folder and uploaded a copy of all those files from the full installation of SMF 1.1.5, but that didn't work.  I still the the same message.  I reloaded and reloaded, even cleared the cache, just in case.  Nothing.

I still went and checked whether the forums had been upgraded to 1.1.5 or were still in the older version.  Supposedly, they are in version 1.1.5 but everything's messed up now.  That doesn't surprise me, but then, what is it that I did wrong?  Or is it a bug?

Sorry for the late answer.

greyknight17

Do you use any language besides English in your forum? Try download the 1.1.5 New Install package instead. Upload all the files except for install.php and the .sql files. Use repair_settings.php and make sure that the database information is correct. Then click on the Recommended values. Save the changes. That should restore your forum back to working order. Delete the repair_settings.php file once you are done.

Advertisement: