News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

I can\'t install ANY mod...

Started by anrapa2, October 19, 2008, 08:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anrapa2

Hello everybody!
I tried everything, spent the last week looking for an answer on old posts but I didn't manage to solve it: I can't install any mod...

First of all, the http://mods.simplemachines.org/ link doesn't help in browsing mods on the admin panel (yes, I added this address to the list). When I click "Browse" it just doesn't go anywhere. It keeps waiting until is times out...

If I use "Download a package by url" it SOMETIMES says it's been downloaded but then the installation fails (could it be related to the absence of the zip/gzip/tar functions in my server?).

If I decompress the files and upload them to the Package directory it shows in the list of installable mods but if I click "Apply Mod" it says: "Modification parse error" two times, related to the install.xml file...

What can I do?
:(

Jade Elizabeth

Well, firstly I would try to install a mod by downloading it from the mod site, and them uploading it manually. Let me know if that works. What sort of errors are in the logs?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

anrapa2

QuoteIf I decompress the files and upload them to the Package directory it shows in the list of installable mods but if I click "Apply Mod" it says: "Modification parse error" two times, related to the install.xml file...

This is the message I get (and one of the methods I used to try to install mods)

Jade Elizabeth

You're supposed to leave them in a zip archive..
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

indra00

well i also had this error.

try creating a folder named temp in ur packages directory.

remeber in general the temp folder gets deleted after each execution. there's a mod for dat which lets the temp file not get deleted.

Just keep ur ftp browser open and after each step of installation do a refresh on ftp folder to see if its deleted..if yes...then again create a new temp folder and continue ur installation. :D

anrapa2

Thanks!!!
I finally managed to install Ads mod with VERY manual install (thanks JADE!!!!), I will try this workaround the next mod I will attemp to install.

Jade Elizabeth

You're welcome. Now go bother your host about .zip files. If he wont budge, there are PLENTY of cheep and decent hosts on here :).

anrapa2

Yeah, the bad thing is that I just paid for a full year... I will call them today.

Advertisement: