News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brajanz0r

Oh thank you, it worked!! I'm so grateful man! How did you do it, what was the problem?

br360

That bracket was moved from somewhere else and somehow found it's way into the shoutbox code. Just out of curiousity; how are you editing files? I ask because you had a ton of empty space between lines of code- we pretty much had identical index.templates and yours was about 80 lines more than mine- most of which was just empty lines/space.

Brajanz0r

To be honest, I still didn't edit anything manually. Does transferring forum from one hosting to another can make the difference? Or maybe some plugins, I really don't know.. Thanks anyway for solving this, you're the man! :)

br360

You're welcome. Glad you got it working. :)

joeyjojoshabadoo

Quote from: Sin' on October 02, 2013, 07:38:47 PM
How can i change the position of where the Shoutbox appears? I want it to fit in my forum between the Left and Right panels, under the images i have for advertisement.... Can someone help me figure this out?

my forum now:

I want it to look like this:

Hi all, seeking help if anyone is available.

A solution was given to the above by live367 on this thread two years ago as

Create a PHP Portal block and put the following code in it:

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
if (function_exists('template_shoutbox')) template_shoutbox('main');
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

Remove the same code from index.template.php[/i]

This isn't working for me, can anyone help?

I removed that piece of code from index.template.php on the core theme,

Where should I put that php into a block, how visible does it need to be etc. ( I put it into a top block, in between the two sidebars) and the SMFpacks chat stayed where it was right across the page at the top ( as per the image from the other user).

Is that block meant to show the chatbox then as in the second image? ( sorry if these are daft questions)

ps- help on smfpacks forum is hard to get so your help would be much appreciated.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help.

br360

Quote from: joeyjojoshabadoo on October 21, 2015, 07:46:43 PM

Are you using the core theme yourself? If you removed that code from the core theme but are using the default curve or some other custom theme, it won't work- unless you move that code in the index.template.php of the theme you are using.

Also, which portal mod are you using?

joeyjojoshabadoo

Quote from: br360 on October 21, 2015, 10:26:49 PM
Quote from: joeyjojoshabadoo on October 21, 2015, 07:46:43 PM

Are you using the core theme yourself? If you removed that code from the core theme but are using the default curve or some other custom theme, it won't work- unless you move that code in the index.template.php of the theme you are using.

Also, which portal mod are you using?

Hi Mate.

Im using Skyline paid theme, but i didnt see that code in the index template on that theme so i assumed it was jsut the core theme i had to do?

Also, im using simple portal.

Site is dropkickrugby.com/forum. Some stuff is blocked unless youre a member ( the live chat for example) but once youre a certain member group ( 10 posts or more) the live chat appears as per the previous poster's picture above).

Does that helo?

br360

You have to remove that shoutbox code from the index.template.php of the SMF Default Theme - Curve  and not core.

Then you can add that shoutbox code to a php block. Once you do that, you also have to go into the shoutbox settings in your admin panel, and where it says "Pages where Shoutbox will be printed", make sure you type in sportal_main.

joeyjojoshabadoo

Quote from: br360 on October 23, 2015, 09:49:28 PM
You have to remove that shoutbox code from the index.template.php of the SMF Default Theme - Curve  and not core.

Then you can add that shoutbox code to a php block. Once you do that, you also have to go into the shoutbox settings in your admin panel, and where it says "Pages where Shoutbox will be printed", make sure you type in sportal_main.

Hi br360.

Thanks for coming back on this.

I tried what you said and the code isn't present in Curve's index.template.php.

One other thing I should mention, the only people who can see the chatbox are members with 10 posts or more ( in a certain membergroup - its invisible to non members entirely..

Does that help?

br360

Are you seeing the shoutbox on your index(main page)? If you are then the code below has to be in either your custom theme's index.template.php or your curve's

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

That is the block of code that is in the index.template.php to make it appear. In order for the code to work in a portal page, that code must be removed from your index.templae.php and placed in a new php block.'

QuoteOne other thing I should mention, the only people who can see the chatbox are members with 10 posts or more ( in a certain membergroup - its invisible to non members entirely..

That would most likely be a separate issue and have something to do with permissions. Make sure all of your membergroups have the permission to view and post in the shoutbox.

joeyjojoshabadoo

Hi Br, thanks agian for yoru help with this it's really appreciated.

So I have the shoutbox at the top of the index main page only. ( boardindex)

I have gone into Core and taken it out again, and have taken it out of the old theme, br finale, and checked for the current global theme ( skyline) and it wasnt in there. I then set visibiity to only sportal_main, had the code in the Php box named test, but all thats coming up is the header for the block called test, nothing is in it ( as in totally blank).

So currently its back to the way it was with the code not anywhere, just visibility set to boardindex in the shoutbox settings, and working fine, but its still pagewide.

Tearing my hair out!  ;D

On the permissions - Only members can see it there's private stuff we keep away from the public on that for operational reasons ( i know that sounds ridiculous but its genuine).

ANy mroe help welcome!

br360

Quote from: joeyjojoshabadoo on November 02, 2015, 09:01:03 AM

I have gone into Core and taken it out again, and have taken it out of the old theme, br finale, and checked for the current global theme ( skyline) and it wasnt in there. I then set visibiity to only sportal_main, had the code in the Php box named test, but all thats coming up is the header for the block called test, nothing is in it ( as in totally blank).

I think this may be the issue that we are getting confused on. The core theme is just an extra theme that comes with a standard install- and any changes you make to it will affect only that theme. The theme you need to check to make sure the shoutbox code was removed from is the curve theme. Default curve is the theme that all others fall back to if they don't have their own theme specific files.

Didn't know that you purposely set your permissions to have a post count criteria to use the shoutbox. It doesn't seem ridiculous at all, and is a good idea actually. It wouldn't cause the issue you are having in regards to shoutbox not appearing in a portal page though. Admins have all permissions, and if you yourself can't see it in a portal block, it's not a permission issue.

joeyjojoshabadoo

Hi Br,

thanks again for thoughts.

it was definitely out of Curve, still is - no reference in there to shoutbox at all except for the following at the end of the line 174 section

// Custom banners and shoutboxes should be placed here, before the linktree.

// Show the navigation tree.
   theme_linktree();
}

Not sure what's wrong here to be honest.  :(

br360

If you are ok with setting up a temp admin account for me on your site, I would be more than happy to troubleshoot and see if I can get it to work for you. Feel free to send me a pm if you do want me to take a look.

CHINasty

Quote from: br360 on October 13, 2015, 11:53:06 PM
What is the custom theme you are using? Can you check your custom theme's index.template.php and find-

}

function template_body_below()
{

and make sure this is before it-

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

I am currently running 2.0.11 and had the same problem. I added this code in the same exact spot and the shoutbox appeared on my forum. I am running the Inferno theme. Only problem I have is that the shoutbox appears above the logo, shows up at the very top of the page and stretched across the entire width. Do I need to put this code somewhere else or is there something I can add to move the location? I would like it in the body, preferably above the forum stats and users online.

br360

I'm not too familiar with that theme, but take a look at this link which will show you how to move it there in the default theme- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3740850#msg3740850

If that doesn't work for the theme you are using; since it is a paid one from dzinerstudio, they might be able to help you get the shoutbox exactly where you want it.

sprntrcr

I can't seem to get the shoutbox to display on all pages, it is only showing on the index page.

Pages where Shoutbox will be printed
forum
collapsecategory
boardindex

index.template.php
//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

I'm not using the default theme.

www.worldwidebeekeeping.com

Any advice would be appreciated.

br360

Where the Pages where Shoutbox will be printed, try adding these under the ones you already have -

messageindex
unreadtopics
display
memberlist
groups
showhelp
messagemain
who

sprntrcr

Quote from: br360 on November 20, 2015, 02:52:14 PM
Where the Pages where Shoutbox will be printed, try adding these under the ones you already have -

messageindex
unreadtopics
display
memberlist
groups
showhelp
messagemain
who

That did it,  Thank you :-)

jayantsr

Quote from: puw on March 08, 2013, 03:09:55 AM
Sorry, my fault - I hadn't gone into the std admin permissions - all works beautifully on Android, FF, Opera, Seamonkey and Chrome :) Thank you :)  :)

I have enabled all the permissions still my mobile users can't see the shout box ??  HELP please

Advertisement: