News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Quote from: davejo on August 18, 2019, 05:19:54 AM
Hi,

I have installed the latest free version and although the settings are set to maxlength 1024 I can still only get 61 characters on a line. Has anyone else had the same issue with version 1.1 please?

Nibogo...would you have the courtesy to reply to this message please?

You were on the site yesterday

Last Active:    Yesterday at 14:50:42
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Tricky-Ricky

Well after testing I don't have the issue iv set to 800 and it posts just fine.

YogiBear

Hi davejo, at least a few of us are having this problem. Make a pot of coffee and take a look at pages starting at...
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.2600

Tricky-Ricky : your solution has improved things a bit.  :) 
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Dave J

Hi Yogi,

Thanks for the reply

I've literally looked at every possible reason for this not working correctly. I have the Pro 1.0.14 version, my year of support has expired long ago, but that doesn't work either as it doesn't even post a single word let alone a line of text, that's why I unistalled the that version and tried to install the free 1.1 version.

I wonder if it's got something to do with some other mod. Recently I was trying to get in post vidoes working but they always come back with an error too so maybe when I was adding the mods to do that they have left some residual code in the templates somewhere.

I really can't think of anything else as it always used to work with no issues.

For now I, as I have Simple Portal installed, I am using that on the forum page and it works OK, as far as SMFPacks version is concerned I'll just have to look into it further another time.

If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Dave J

OK I had a lightbulb moment and I checked the PHP version for my site and the host had set it to 7.0. I have now reverted it back to 5.6 and everything works as it should do including my Pro version of the shoutbox.

Not sure what the implications are of going back to 5.6 are but maybe anyone having similar issues should check their settings too.

My host also has PHP 7.0 - 7.3 so tested it on 7.3 and it doesn't work on that either.

So the question is: Has the Shoutbox mod, either the Pro version or the free version, been updated to work with the newer versions of PHP 7.0 and above?

As my discovery seems to show it would seem not: or is it not as simple as that?

As always any comments are welcome.

mattdanzig

any other shout box mods available? I'm having same problem and it's irritating my users. Thanks in advance

sam666

Free version 1.1 works with PHP7
Pro version 1.2 and above works with PHP7

Nibogo

Apologies, but I cannot read everything that has been posted here recently due to some time constraints. If the issue is PHP7 could someone give me a hand with the file involved and perhaps the error?

Dave J

Quote from: Nibogo on October 24, 2019, 11:01:24 PM
Apologies, but I cannot read everything that has been posted here recently due to some time constraints. If the issue is PHP7 could someone give me a hand with the file involved and perhaps the error?

Nibogo

The problem lies with my Pro version 1.0.10 when my host upgrades to 7+ it doesn't work, when I mean doesn't work I mean the shoutbox is there but it wont show any shouts. If I revert back to php5.6 all is OK again. I bought it from you back in 2015 I think. I don't expect you to give me an upgrade but if you could just tell us what files to edit please I can do it myself .

Nibogo

This forum is to support the free version only davejo, unfortunately there is no 1.0.10 compatible with PHP 7 and I don't even know the errors presented with that environment.

BellGab.com

Love the mod so far.  We'll test it under a load (probably 40 or 50 users) in a couple days.

Guests aren't able to use the shoutbox on my forum (I do want it that way).  When they attempt to, they see, "You are not allowed to view Shoutbox."  I'd like to change that to read, "You must be logged in to use the chat room."

I ran AstroGrep on the shoutbox installation package and can't find "You are not allowed to view Shoutbox" in any file, so I'm guessing this message must be the result of a standard SMF permissions error with "Shoutbox" entered as a variable at the end.

Is it possible to change this without modifying permissions errors site wide?  How?

Thanks.

Mick.

BellGab.com

Quote from: Mick. on November 16, 2019, 10:39:32 PM
Possibly in the language file?

Thanks.  In shoutbox.english.php:
$txt['sbe_4'] = 'You are not allowed to view <i>Shoutbox</i>';

BellGab.com

Another question:

We've used IRC chat for this in the past, accessed through a browser interface.  There was a vertical column always visible within the chat showing current users.  Is that sort of thing possible with this package?  Out of the box, as I'm sure you know, current users can only be viewed in a separate browser window upon request.

Hatshepsut

Hello,
I am using SMF Shoutbox 1.1 with SMF 2.0.17

In all templates shoutbox works fine, but with my current template shoutbox icons are out of the frame  :-\

Click =>

The theme which I am using is 'Redsy': https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2833

Is it possible to adjust shoutbox items to fit them in the frame?

Nibogo

Quote from: BellGab.com on November 16, 2019, 11:01:54 PM
Another question:

We've used IRC chat for this in the past, accessed through a browser interface.  There was a vertical column always visible within the chat showing current users.  Is that sort of thing possible with this package?  Out of the box, as I'm sure you know, current users can only be viewed in a separate browser window upon request.

There is no toggle to show that.

Quote from: Hatshepsut on February 23, 2020, 10:54:16 PM
Hello,
I am using SMF Shoutbox 1.1 with SMF 2.0.17

In all templates shoutbox works fine, but with my current template shoutbox icons are out of the frame  :-\

Click =>

The theme which I am using is 'Redsy': https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2833

Is it possible to adjust shoutbox items to fit them in the frame?

The CSS of the shoutbox probably needs some adjustments, I'd try to adjust Shoutbox.template.php, possibly adjusting the mainframe should adjust the child elements.

napon

This shoutbox not working on PHP7 7.2
installs ok set up the setting on home page there is only a iframe shoutbox only nothing else

napon

as anyone this working ???????  as its not working on mine also try all the hacks on this page none work

Sir Osis of Liver

Working here in SMF 2.0.17, PHP 7.1.33.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: