[BETA] Enhanced Custom Help Pages 1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.2a (Now whit RC1 support)

Started by Marcus Forsberg, October 26, 2008, 11:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Forsberg

Enhanced Custom Help Pages 1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.2a
By Nascar
(For SMF 2.0 RC1 and SMF 1.1.x)

Introduction
Well, we all know how helpfull the SMF helppages can be.
But, what if we install a big mod creating a huge new forumfunction?
The users won't have a clue on how thing work on this new place.
You can change this  now.

Using this modification you can add up to 10 new helppages and choose which of the default SMF pages to be used.
You can choose the name and content of each new page, and use both HTML and BBC in them.
In addition, you can add up to 5 side blocks displayed to the left of the helppages, right under the custom helpmenu.

Note that this is a early beta version of this mod and that constant updates will occur.
Also note that that this mod is very simply coded, and won't have unlimited pages etc before I have learned more.

Features
Admin Panel
o Enable/disable the help page
o Choose title of the Help button in the navigation menu
o Create up to 10 help pages whit custom names and HTML content.
o Disable/Enable each custom page as you like
o Add up to 5 HTML blocks at the left side of the helppages.
o Disable/Enable each block as you like
o Choose which of the default SMF helppages to use along whit your custom ones.

Preview
See the attached images for a preview.

Tested
Fully tested on a fresh installation of SMF 2.0 RC1.
The codes of the 1.1.x version was also tested, but not the installation package.

Tinyportal users
Try this if you want to have a link to the TP helppages among the new ones.

Thank's to
genieuk
o Basic idea and mod name
o Feature ideas
Deprecated
o BCC support
o General coaching and encouragement
Costa
o Former translator (Brazilian)
Those who have commented and used

Languages
o English
o Swedish
If you want to join us and translate all future updates of this mod, write in this topic.

Changelog
1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.2a 6 February
o Added support for SMF 2.0 RC1.
o Removed support for SMF 2.0 Beta 4. This version shouldn't be used any longer.
Changelog
1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.1a 23 December 2008
o Just removed a unneeded variable. It won't affect the looks of the mod in action. (Don't ask me why I've put it there anyway)
o Added a few comments in the template file, find them and be suprised :P
1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8f 21 December 2008
o Rewrote the menu:
  o Made the current page marked
  o Cleaner code
o New admin options:
o Choose color of current page in the menu
o Choose the titles of the default SMF helppages
o Rewrote 1.1.x version from scratch:
o New adminpanel finally available
o Now fully tested
o Rewrote the blocks:
  o Made code cleaner in the tempalte file, now using one pease of code for all blocks instead of one for each block.
  o Removed the <b> making the blockcontent bold and awful.
o Edited a few lines in the adminpanel to make the smf default pages work whit the new way of displaying the menu.
  o Updated some of the stringnames in the language file to make the texts in this area display.
o Removed the input boxes for blocks that where displayed twice under the inputs for pages. (Left since the version whit all inputs on the same page)

1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.7.1a 20 December 2008
o Added headlines to the pages, dispalying the name of the current page at the top of it.
o Added a TinyPortal package for SMF 1.1.x (Untested, whitout the new adminpanel)

1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.7d 19 December 2008
o You can now add 5 blocks instead of 3.
o Added swedish translation.
o Removed brazilian translation, as Costa (the translator) has left SMF due to real life issues.
o Added a feature allowing you to keep the SMF default helppages as they are. You can also disable any of them if you don't want it.

1.0 Beta 0.6.1 2nd November 2008
o Fixed the look by moving the help navigation menu to a new block at the left side instead.

1.0 Beta 0.6.0 27th October 2008
o *SMF 2.0 Beta 4 only* Moved the help page administration from Admin > Configuration > Modifications to Admin > Configuration > Help Pages.
o Added BBC support. Thank's to Deprecated
o Added a redirect after installation.

1.0 Beta 0.5.3 31th October 2008 (Halloween)
o Added brazilian translation.

1.0 Beta 0.5.2 26th October 2008
o Original beta realese.

genieuk

Thank you Nascar  :D

My Dream has come true, i have been dying for a mod like this, this mod will rock!!! now i can make custom help pages that relates to my forum only and information i put in will be true and not inaccurate. As i have made so many changes to my site alot of information is no longer accurate, this mod solves that by allowing us to make our own help pages, also it gives such great ability to better the help section. At the moment the layout is poor, again this mod solves that by making things easier to find and understand.

All i can say is you rock, the mod will definately rock and WOW!

Am going to install now,  :D

I am like a kid wih a new toy, can't wait to install quick enough, let me of course backup first ;) then i will let you know how it goes on SMF 1.1.6

Kindest Regards,
Mathew

genieuk

Hi Nascar,

It failed on index.template.php and modsettings.php. Only reason for this was thou because i have a heavy modded site and had to add code manually using package parser. This was not a problem.

Silly question, where is the section in admin for edit of help pages ??? i cannot find it anywhere, i am using SMF 1.1.6 as you know.

Thank you,
Mathew

Marcus Forsberg

genieuk

Quote from: Nascar on October 26, 2008, 11:36:28 AM
Admin > Features & Settings > Help Pages

Strang it not showing in my Features & Options > Help Pages, Help pages not showing.

Please see attached image.

Marcus Forsberg

Are you sure you edited ModSettings.php the right way?
Attach it, please.

genieuk

Quote from: Nascar on October 26, 2008, 11:43:48 AM
Are you sure you edited ModSettings.php the right way?
Attach it, please.

Hi,

I had to edit it manually because some things was not found because so many mods, i am very sure i edited fine. Maybe it is because the package parser i am using is in Beta not sure, probably is me thou. http://resourcez.biz/PackageParser/index.php

File attached.

genieuk

Hi,

It working now,  :D

I had to instances of where it says find:

loadLanguage('ModSettings');

so added it in two places in the file.

Mathew

Marcus Forsberg

Glad you've fixed it. Let ,e know what you think about the mod when you've tried it out.

babjusi

Nice work Nascar. But why don''t you submit it at the mod site as well?

Marcus Forsberg

I'm not 100% done whit it, but I wanted to share it anyway :)
As fast as I've added the features I want and fixed a few problems I'll submit it to the mod site.

babjusi

Quote from: Nascar on October 26, 2008, 12:01:38 PM
I'm not 100% done whit it, but I wanted to share it anyway :)
As fast as I've added the features I want and fixed a few problems I'll submit it to the mod site.

Ah, ok. Thanks for your answer and keep up the good work :)

genieuk

Quote from: Nascar on October 26, 2008, 11:58:12 AM
Glad you've fixed it. Let ,e know what you think about the mod when you've tried it out.

Well it is perfect no problems with SMF 1.1.6, two failures but if your site is heavily modded then manual edit maybe required.

I have tried it and no errors or problems at all, I LOVE IT I have used 9 help pages already just got to add content to them now,

If people wants to see how this really does work, visit my help section, at the time of writing this i have not added content only the pages i have enabled and created my own titles, so dont expect perfection, but keep checking back if you want and you will see over time it will look perfect, thanks to Nascar ;)

http://www.foreverlastingfriends.com/index.php?action=help

All i need to do is remove the drop down menu from the help page.

PERFECT! ,

Thanks
Mathew

Marcus Forsberg

Glad you like it.
As you may see, the table whit information is pushed a bit to the right, even thou you have no blocks. That's one of the thing I'll fix before I submit this as a mod.

genieuk

Well i am going like mad,

I have created a contact us page and created a contact us form which checks and validates information has been entered and redirects user to forum once submitted form. If information is not entered then they are told they need to enter information etc.

I Love it :)

http://www.foreverlastingfriends.com/index.php?action=help;page=10

Marcus Forsberg

Small update
Added abillty to remove the bottom menu at the help page.
(Help.template.php, HelpPage.english.php and ManageSettings.php/ModSettings.php updated)

genieuk

I am not bothering to update as happy with it, will update when more features become available.

I am loving it, my help section is exactly how i want it http://www.foreverlastingfriends.com/index.php?action=help

I also changed the links on the drop down menu so i could keep the drop down menu for the help button.

What you think Nascar ??? you should be proud of this mod  :D ,

Like i said before if anyone wants to see what the fantastic things this mod can do check out my help section on above link.

Mathew

niko

Good idea but...

It would be better to create custom table for help pages to allow unlimited number of pages, this would also make code better since you would need only one code for all pages.

Maybe this could be done with loops also, one disadvantage is that all pages will be in memory every page load and with more pages it could go over limit sometimes. (depends on limit that server has)

Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Marcus Forsberg

Yes, Niko, I was thinking about updating it like that.
Currently I'm making users able to comment each help page (only admin can see the comments).

Advertisement: