[BETA] Enhanced Custom Help Pages 1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.2a (Now whit RC1 support)

Started by Marcus Forsberg, October 26, 2008, 11:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Forsberg

Hmm..
Can't see why it doesn't find that.
that part is not necessary if you do not wish to use the search-helppage.

Could you by any chanse attach two fresh copies of Help.php and Help.temaplte.php, whit TP installed?

Eliana Tamerin

Ok, after testing this, I've got a few things.

-The "Color of current menuitem" feature doesn't take different themes into consideration. Should give option to disable or use bold/italics/underline instead.

-Your preview images show a space between Page 10 and the General Help page. The current build does not include that. I'd suggest including the ability to accept user input for the divider, such as a <hr /> or <br /> or even a block of text.

-What's the purposes of the blocks? I would suggest allowing dynamic blocks for each page.

-Capped at 10 pages? Are you going to allow the user, eventually, to set up unlimited pages?

-Same as above, but for blocks.

-Title of help pages in menubar doesn't allow for translations. Something to think about, since the default SMF text does get translated.

-Give the ability to choose between an introductory text on the main help page, or to select one of the enabled pages (both the mod's or SMF's defaults) to show.

Hope that helps you, Nascar. BTW, it fails on RC1's Help.php source, so be prepared for a change once SMF RC 1 gets released.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Marcus Forsberg

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin
-The "Color of current menuitem" feature doesn't take different themes into consideration. Should give option to disable or use bold/italics/underline instead.

Good idea. I'll have a look at that.

-Your preview images show a space between Page 10 and the General Help page. The current build does not include that. I'd suggest including the ability to accept user input for the divider, such as a <hr /> or <br /> or even a block of text.

It's becasue of all pages being in the same array. Maybe I could have the 10 custom pages in 1 array and the default in one.
Then I could separate the output of each of them.

-What's the purposes of the blocks? I would suggest allowing dynamic blocks for each page.

They where added to allow you to have blocks like "New to our forum? Check out this board" etc.
Dynamic blocks is another good idea

-Capped at 10 pages? Are you going to allow the user, eventually, to set up unlimited pages?
Yes, I will. I just have to learn more first.
Same for blocks

-Give the ability to choose between an introductory text on the main help page, or to select one of the enabled pages (both the mod's or SMF's defaults) to show.

Good idea.

Hope that helps you, Nascar. BTW, it fails on RC1's Help.php source, so be prepared for a change once SMF RC 1 gets released.

Thanks for letting me know. Being prepered :)

Ken.

Quote from: Nascar on December 21, 2008, 10:47:13 AM
Hmm..
Can't see why it doesn't find that.
that part is not necessary if you do not wish to use the search-helppage.

Could you by any chanse attach two fresh copies of Help.php and Help.temaplte.php, whit TP installed?

OK, here ya go.
If you think it would be helpful for you to have access to this test forum let me know and I'll do an account.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Marcus Forsberg

Hmm.. I did one thing wrong in Help.template.php, which is fixed in the new pacakge (attached in this post).
Can't see any other problems.

Ken.

That installed with no problems at all.

Wish list item:
In the SMF 2.0 version the SMF help is separated from the  Enhanced pages and has  its own heading, "SMF User Help" It would be nice to have that in this SMF 1.1.7 version, plus being able to change the heading text would be nice as well.

Everything seems to work correctly within the pages and the controls, but there are lots of errors thrown in the error log; here's a few of them:

action=viewErrorLog;desc
8: Use of undefined constant permissiongroup_helppage - assumed 'permissiongroup_helppage'
File: /home/kenkayjm/public_html/tptest2/Themes/default/languages/Admin.english.php (eval?)
Line: 204

../index.php?action=viewErrorLog;desc
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Use of undefined constant permissionname_helpblocks_view - assumed 'permissionname_helpblocks_view'
File: /home/kenkayjm/public_html/tptest2/Themes/default/languages/Admin.english.php (eval?)
Line: 202

../index.php?action=viewErrorLog;desc
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Use of undefined constant permissionname_helppage_view - assumed 'permissionname_helppage_view'
Line: 200

../tptest2/index.php?action=viewErrorLog;desc
8: Undefined index: 3
File: /home/kenkayjm/public_html/tptest2/Sources/TPortal.php
Line: 474

../tptest2/index.php?action=help;page=loginout
8: Undefined index: enable_block_5
File: /home/kenkayjm/public_html/tptest2/Themes/default/languages/TPShout.english.php (helppage_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 203

../tptest2/index.php?action=help;page=loginout
8: Undefined index: enable_block_4
File: /home/kenkayjm/public_html/tptest2/Themes/default/languages/TPShout.english.php (helppage_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 203
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Marcus Forsberg

Glad it worked.

The header disappeared when I started to use foreach whit the all_pages array.
I could add the echpages in to one array and the deafult into one, and this would fix it.

I'll have a look at all these errors.

Ken.

Thanks for your efforts on this Nascar.
imho it is a very worthwhile mod. :)

Marcus Forsberg

Very small update

Changelog
o Just removed a unneeded variable. It won't affect the looks of the mod in action. (Don't ask me why I've put it there anyway)
o Added a few comments in the template file, find them and be suprised :P

Note
I'm seeking someone who's interested in testing the final build of Beta 1, which has been started working on.

Ken.

Quote from: Nascar on December 23, 2008, 05:13:59 AM

Note
I'm seeking someone who's interested in testing the final build of Beta 1, which has been started working on.

My test forum is available.  :)

Eliana Tamerin

Download | Docs

Marcus Forsberg

Thank you both.
It won't be soon though. I'll probably rewrite the entire mod, make it use the databse and introduce unlimited pages and blocks, and right side blocks.

Marcus Forsberg

I will start to finalize this as soon as I get better. I'm sick currently.

Eliana Tamerin

Download | Docs

Ken.

coucnilhomeswap

were can i find the manual install guide for mthis mod please

Marcus Forsberg

There is none at the moment I'm afraid. You can se this:
http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

To see the edits you need to do, though. It might help.
Let me know if you need help whit it.

coucnilhomeswap

Marcus Forsberg

The mod? Yes, it will. Just use this package:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=270529.0;attach=80401
The parser in my above post? Yes, it should if you choose version 1.1.3 in the selectbox.

coucnilhomeswap

ok thanks. its just the parser does not have 1.1.7 it only goes to 1.1.3

Advertisement: