Hmmm...doesn\'t look like all the boards came over from VB 3.7 (??)

Started by MrMike, October 29, 2008, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

I'm converting from VB 3.7.3 to SMF 1.1.6 and although most of it looks like it's going okay, it seems like it didn't bring over the "top level" boards. I have 66 boards total:
  • 11 top level boards
  • 51 boards under a "State" parent category
  • 2 boards under a "Private" category
The 51 under the "State" category and the 2 under the "Private" category seem to have transferred, but the 11 top level ones appear to be missing. I haven't received any errors during the import, so I'm not sure what to think.

I used the "vbulletin37_to_smf.sql" found in this post:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262571.msg1712521#msg1712521

Is there a later one that I didn't see, or is this problem perhaps due to something else??

EDIT:  Looking in the "Boards" admin section, it looks like the missing boards got imported as categories, not as message boards. Consequently, they're missing all their posts... :(

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix or correct this?

SleePy

Odd, Does vBulletin allow boards with no categories?

You should be able to salvage the topics if you go to Admin -> Forum Maintenance
Then click "Find and Repair Errors". This may take some time depending on the size of your forum.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

MrMike

Quote from: SleePy on October 31, 2008, 06:43:41 PM
Odd, Does vBulletin allow boards with no categories?
It does. This was a conversion from DCForum => Vbulletin => SMF. With 300,000 posts it took about 5 or 6 hours start to finish, including some SMF forum config (which couldn't be done until after the import completed).

Top-level forums in DCForum come over into VBulletin with no trouble; importing from there into SMF is problematic at best. The "Find and Repair Errors" feature in SMF didn't work, unfortunately.

I did, however, manage to get this sorted out:

• Prior to importing into SMF from VB, configure any top-level forums in VBulletin to "act as forum" (instead of category)
  • Place the top-level forums under a temporary category.
  • Rebuild the thread, post, and forum info in VB (this is under  "Maintenance > Counters" menu option) 
  • Do the import to SMF and they will transfer correctly.

SleePy

Hmm.
Do you mind sending me a database dump from just the "forum" table?
I would like to look at it so see if I can't overcome this by creating a default category and putting these boards in it.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

MrMike

Quote from: SleePy on November 02, 2008, 08:52:40 PMDo you mind sending me a database dump from just the "forum" table?
Errrrr.... I'd have been glad to do this but I wiped out the VBulletin database after the initial conversion took place. If you want it really really bad, I'll see if I can run the VB export from DCForum again. It'll be big- 70 80 megs zipped.

ThorstenE

Is your DCForum+ still alive? I have written a DCForum+ converter during the last days and have successfully converted my small test-system.. Are you interested in Beta-Testing? I can send you the converter files..

MrMike

My DCForum board is technically still alive (the database still exists), but no longer in use. I could beta test the converter for you as long as it didn't affect my live SMF board (maybe have it output to a file or something). I'd be hesitant to fiddle around with my live install of SMF as it took over a year to get free of DCForum. I could send you a dump of the DCForum database if you want it (76 megs).

ThorstenE

a dump from a big DCForum+ board would be great :) (helps a lot in debugging the converter) can you send me a link where I can download it? I also can send you FTP details from my webserver, so you can upload it..

MrMike

Quote from: TE on November 04, 2008, 12:09:42 AMI also can send you FTP details from my webserver, so you can upload it..
Let's try that, and if I can't get it to upload successfully I'll put it someplace you can download it. Please PM me your FTP details and I'll see if I can send it up to you.

Advertisement: