News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0

Started by SkyLineR34, October 30, 2008, 01:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyLineR34

Is this version safe for upgrade from 1.1.6 to a host server im using......I mean will it be stable enough to use without it crashing?

Crasy

Generally, yes.
If I told you that there might be issues with it...would you be extremely concerned?

If so...don't use it. There's a reason it's still in Beta.
It's very stable and has played right by me all of this time. But you also have to take the word "Beta" for it's face value.

greyknight17

We don't recommend using it for production yet, but if you are still interested, I suggest running it on a test environment first to get a feel for it and see what problems you may have. If it looks ok, you can upgrade your live forum to SMF 2.0 beta 4 (current version now). I suggest making a backup of your database before doing this as there basically is no easy way to revert back if you change your mind later on.

SkyLineR34

when upgrading from SMF 1.1.6 to SMF 2.0.4 do i have to do the whole package upgrade or can i just incorporate it over the old version and use the same database....or are the database tables named differently?

greyknight17

Completely different. It's a major overhaul and will require you to run the large upgrade to do this. You will need to extract the SMF 2.0 large upgrade contents and overwrite them to your current files on the SMF directory. Then run upgrade.php from your browser.

SkyLineR34

this will carry over my database as well correct?

fasterthanyours

Large upgrade works just fine on SMF 1.1.6 to SMF 2.0  Did it yesterday.

No Tiny Portal for SMF 2.0 though :(

monkeymartin

I just installed it on my forum.  No problems with the upgrade.  My forum is getting started (very small).  Seams to be very solid.  This forum and many others are running it.

The largest SMF forum on big boards is running it
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ [nofollow]

I would check if 2.0 has the mods and themes you need. 

SkyLineR34

greyknight17

Although many users have upgraded SMF 2.0 successfully, I highly recommend that you make a database backup regardless for two reasons:

- sometimes things just go wrong out of the blue ;)
- if you decide you want to go back to 1.1.6, this is basically the only way (at least the easy way) to do this

Topic marked as solved.

dwd2000

So far, I have only seen posts for upgrading from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.x, but nothing about mods that are not available for or upgradable to SMF 2.x.

I have attached a list of the mods I've installed.

Any ideas?

30 years ago I was young and foolish.
Now I'm just young.

DAMMIT JIM...I'M A TWEAKER...NOT A CODER!!!

Dave's Games

godboko

Quote from: dwd2000 on November 08, 2008, 03:38:12 PM
So far, I have only seen posts for upgrading from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.x, but nothing about mods that are not available for or upgradable to SMF 2.x.

Any ideas?

SMF 2.0 Beta 4:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;smf_versions=37

The above link shows the mods available for SMF 2.0 Beta 4.

Good Luck.
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

dwd2000

Quote from: godboko on November 08, 2008, 05:24:45 PM

Any ideas?

SMF 2.0 Beta 4:

Good Luck.

Yes, I understand that, but my question was directed to the SMF 1.1.7 mods I already have installed.
What will happen to them?
30 years ago I was young and foolish.
Now I'm just young.

DAMMIT JIM...I'M A TWEAKER...NOT A CODER!!!

Dave's Games

godboko

Quote from: dwd2000 on November 08, 2008, 06:15:34 PM
Quote from: godboko on November 08, 2008, 05:24:45 PM

Any ideas?

SMF 2.0 Beta 4:

Good Luck.

Yes, I understand that, but my question was directed to the SMF 1.1.7 mods I already have installed.
What will happen to them?

My guess would be that you will need to look at the mod list see which ones are available in 2 Beta 4 and which are not.

If some are not available then it might be advisable that you wait until they are available. Some mod authors will only update there mods for stable releases.
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

KirstinSL

How do I get to this 2.0 and how do I install it into my Cpanel? I'd like to try it out.  :D

SkyLineR34

O.o I have a MAJOR problem...I upgraded to 2.0.4 but i did save my database before hand...well I had left the theme as helios multicolor...not compatible with 2.0.4.  Well it totally crashed and nothing works on it now...so i deleted the whole thing....i reuploaded 1.7 and tried to import my database...problem is that now the forums won't work...is it due to the files i needed for the packages i installed?

SkyLineR34

seems like im missing smf_sessions.....can someone get me the settings for this table in mysql

glennk

There seems a lot of endorsement for the new smf 2b4

A word of warning as it doesnt go well for everyone. I upgraded and thought everything was fine. Everything worked well for a week or so. Then I noticed something in the topics posted prior to upgrade. THere was masses of blank posts in random topics that were upgraded. My support topic on this issue is ongoing. I check back several times a day hoping someone will offer to help and cure the problem. To date theres no cure. I havent given up hope but it doesnt look promising.

Be warned you might not like what you end up with.

SkyLineR34

i figured it out...and

Advertisement: