News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Advanced Visual Verification

Started by Harzem, September 18, 2006, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krackerjax

I have this mod installed on my forum.  Firstly, thanks for a great mod!

I have noticed an issue.  I'm not sure if it's an SMF issue or this mod.  When you go to register on the forums, if you type something wrong, then you of course get the error message telling you what was wrong (e.g. type invalid visual code, etc).  So, you click the "Back" link.  Here's where the issue is.

You correct whatever problem is there.  But, the visual verification code does not refresh to a new one automatically.  When I was testing my forum out I noticed it when I tried to register a dummy account.  Say you typed in the VVC wrong, you click back.  There is the same VVC.  If you do type that in correctly then you will get the same error as you need to click "Refresh Image" and then put in the type in the new VVC.

shumar

I have a problem.
Some of users get captcha check wehn sending PM.
Admin > Members > Registration > Visual verification > Ask when sending personal messages:      is unchecked.
Also if they write correctly that isn't true, always asking to write a verification code and always said it's wrong ???

krackerjax

In addition to the CAPTCHA not refreshing as mentioend in my previous post, I have noticed the same issue as shumar.  Members are asked for verificaiton even when the option is not checked in configuration.  Another issue I have just noticed is that when it asks for verification in the PM, there are two instances of CAPTCHA.  Even if you type both of them in it will not send the message.

I have attached two screenshots.  The first is the top of a PM screen and the second the bottom part of the PM screen.  This shows how the CAPTCHA is displayed twice on the PM screen.

Gwion

This mod won't work for 1.1 RC 2 will it?
I have a small board with some mods and don't want to upgrade and do all the work again ..

krackerjax

I'm not sure.  I tried using this mod on SMF 1.1.4 and encountered these issues.  With the mod doing the things it does, it's useless.  I understand it has to be tough to prevent spambots, but in the condition this mod is in, users can's send PMs and registering users will keep having trouble registering unless they know to click the Refresh Image link.

Kindred

Quote from: Gwion on November 20, 2007, 04:28:00 PM
This mod won't work for 1.1 RC 2 will it?
I have a small board with some mods and don't want to upgrade and do all the work again ..

I don't know why  you would still be running on 1.1RC2...   but you **REALLY** need to upgrade. There have been some serious security fixes between RC2 and 1.1.4
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Xardas

installed SMF version is 1.1.14
defects of this mod:
-in german language I cant see the th mod "Visual Verification"
-change to english language, I can see the menu, but " An Error Has Occurred! Unable to load the 'verification_settings' template. "
-in private message system the mod will show 2 capcha pictures
-and after use the send-button, the PN will not sends.

when comes the bugfix of this release for SMF 1.1.4.?
Thank for your hard work and support.

Kindred

Quote from: Xardas on November 24, 2007, 05:13:27 PM
installed SMF version is 1.1.14
defects of this mod:
-in german language I cant see the th mod "Visual Verification"
-change to english language, I can see the menu, but " An Error Has Occurred! Unable to load the 'verification_settings' template. "
-in private message system the mod will show 2 capcha pictures
-and after use the send-button, the PN will not sends.

when comes the bugfix of this release for SMF 1.1.4.?
Thank for your hard work and support.

-- The mod (as most) only installs into English by default. for any other language, you will have to add the translations yourself.
-- Sounds like the mod did not completely install. Try manually adding the correct code to the template files.
-- you did not turn off the standard SMF CAPTCHA (or you installed this mod twice)
-- see above...

This mod seems to work just fine on 1.1.4 for me...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Zeihold_von_SSL

Quote from: shumar on November 05, 2007, 05:41:36 PM
I have a problem.
Some of users get captcha check wehn sending PM.
Admin > Members > Registration > Visual verification > Ask when sending personal messages:      is unchecked.
Also if they write correctly that isn't true, always asking to write a verification code and always said it's wrong ???

Today, some users reported the same problem to me.

Is there a solution to fix that problem?

Nimitz1061

Apparently not.  I'm having the same issue on 1.1.4 - VVC applied to PM's whether it is enabled or not and refresh failures.

While new users can register, this really hurts PM's.

David

Nimitz1061

I may be wrong here, but I think this issue may be related to this code in sources/PersonalMessage.php:

// --- Begin added code - Advanced Visual Verification ---
   // Verification code is valid for this many PMs...
  if (isset($_SESSION['verificationAskPM']) && empty($modSettings['max_pm_recipients']) || count($recipients['to']) + count($recipients['bcc']) <= $modSettings['max_pm_recipients'])
   $_SESSION['verificationAskPM'] += count($recipients['to']) + count($recipients['bcc']) - 1;
   // --- End added code ---

Which I suspect should be :

// --- Begin added code - Advanced Visual Verification ---
    Verification code is valid for this many PMs...
   if (isset($_SESSION['verificationAskPM']) && empty($modSettings['max_pm_recipients']) || count($recipients['to']) + count($recipients['bcc']) <= $modSettings['max_pm_recipients'])
     $_SESSION['verificationPMvalid'] += count($recipients['to']) + count($recipients['bcc']) - 1;
   // --- End added code ---

I think what is happening is that this code was incrementing the on/off switch (verificationAskPM) forcing the modification on by accident.

David

afxtrader

I'm running SMF version 1.1.5.  Is it possible to have advanced visual verification turned for all logins even after registration?

eline

hello I have this same problem with double captcha in PM as described. Verification for PM is disabled.
Any help ?

christianjb2006

HI... This Mod Works on SMF 1.1.10 ??? Somebody try to install them on that this version ??

Works ???

Thanks a lot !!!

青山 素子

Probably not, I don't think it's been updated to work with the image verification changes made way back in 1.1.3 or so.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

christianjb2006

Thanks Motoko-chan.

Some Mod to use in the guest post to try stop SPAM ?    In SMF 1.1.10 version ?

Thanks again.

:)

青山 素子

There is Visual Verification Options if you just want to extend image verification to guest posts.

You can also use advanced search for modifications compatible for 1.1.11 that are in the anti-spam category.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

christianjb2006

Thank you Motoko-chan. I try whit this.

Please God Help me !!  :P

fullmoonya

could someone update this mod for smf2.0.2?
do not mark my topic solve unless it is REALLY SOLVED.
my forum

Visit My Blog:
Google SEO Share

青山 素子

It's not really needed. Part of the functionality (verification for guest posts, searches) is built into the 2.0 series. For the other functionality, there are much better solutions such as the question/answer feature in the 2.0 series. The whole concept of CAPTCHA images is broken and has been for years since there are now services that easily charge $1 (or less) per 1,000 solutions done by human workers. For reference, see:

Virtual Sweatshops Defeat Bot-or-Not Tests (2012)
Captchabot: Blurring Human and Machine (2010)
Inside India's CAPTCHA solving economy (2008)
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: