News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Database value

Started by RWhite, May 02, 2012, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWhite

Whenever I try to log in to my forum, njbottles (dot) com I get an error message:

"The database value you are trying to insert does not exist: latitude"

Logging in from any other computer is not problem, it does right to my home page.  Why is this happening?  I've tried clering the caches and dumping history, etc. but no difference.

RWhite

Robert.

Hello, welcome to SMF! :) Do you have any mods installed? I haven't seen this problem before and as far as I know SMF doesn't have a column named "latitude". ;) Also, did you changed anything before the problem occurred?

RWhite

It isn't my board, I'm just a user, but I can't get there with my home computer.  Nothing changed I know about, though.

MrPhil

You'd probably be best off talking with your forum's administrator. Simple Machines and this forum here does not install or operate anyone else's forums, so we're kind of limited in what advice we can give to users of random SMF installations. Their system has apparently been modified in some way ("latitude" in the database, possibly something to do with a geo-referenced advertising mod?) and only the administrator will know for sure.

RWhite

That's easy for you to say, but I have no way to contact the admin, since I can't sign on to the Forum.

Thanks for the non-help.

Colin

Not to be harsh, but what do you want us to do? We don't own the forum. We are volunteers helping to make the software better.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kill Em All

Maybe possibly enter the website address here:
http://www.whois.sc/

So for example "simplemachines.org" without the quotes.

The owners information will pop up unless they have privacy enabled. You can possibly find an email address there.

I think that is the best help that we can give you unfortunately. I'm sorry.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

NJbottles

Hi gang, I am the admin of the forum in question.. www.njbottles.com [nofollow] and Labradoodle360 is my host..  all day yesterday, the same thing was happening to me, but as of this morning it has cleared up.. I haven't made any changes to the forum in a few months and never saw this error message before.. I do have MaxMind's Geo IP installed.. for a few months now.. could Geo IP be the cause? I have it set to block non-USA IP's.. 
Antique bottle collector and amateur forum admin

Colin

That sure sounds like the issue.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NJbottles

Thank you for the response.. I hate to be a completely helpless idiot, but could you or someone please try to explain just why it might be the source of trouble? Also, if it indeed is, can a correction be made to get Mr. White up and running again, or will I have to turn off my Geo IP? I'd hate to resort to that since it is extremely effective in amiliorating the spammer situation..

Colin

Well first of all where is Mr. White located? Secondly is he using a proxy? Third you should be able to white list his IP.

Colin

NJbottles

His IP is in Tuscon AZ.. don't know about proxies, and I will look for a 'white list option' ..thanks again..  :)

RWhite

Here I am, two weeks later, same problem exists, from just this one computer.  Nothing that anyone has suggested makes the slightest bit of difference.  I even went so far as to dump all history, cookies, forms, etc, recover the computer to a point before all this happened, changed browsers to FireFox, and still, everythime I try to get into the Forum, the error comes up:

The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: latitude

I realize that you can't deal with the specifics of someones Forum just because they use Simple machine, but since this problem seems to be with MY computer, as a simple subscriber, it seems to me that the problem certainly must have occurred before.  All I want is to sign in to the damn Forum.

I'm in Arizona, not using a proxie, and have my IP from Cox.  This problem just started out of the clear blue sky two weeks ago - and happens from no other computer, nor does it happen when I access via iPAD.

MrPhil

If anyone thinks of anything that you can try, we'll be sure to post it here. Note that we prefer to deal with the forum owner/administrator rather than individual users, as the admin will have more information about the situation and can implement any changes needed on the server side.

Colin

Truthfully I would just ask the admin to add you to the whitelist. (I am sure there has to be one for the mod he is using).

Colin

Kill Em All

I'm going to go ahead and mark this solved since the forum owner appeared. If you have any other issues, please feel free to let us know.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

NJbottles

Yes it's resolved.. the problem went away as soon as I manually updated the GeoIP database, just so everyone knows..  ;)

Colin

Awesome, thanks for posting. Glad you got it all worked out.

Colin

Advertisement: