News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Forum through GoDaddy.com

Started by johnford1986, November 02, 2008, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnford1986

Hey guys,
First of all I would like to apologize if this issue is an old one that has been answer before. I am new to the forums and looked around to no avail. Anyways, I recently installed an SMF forum on my website through hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive]. This was one of that applications that they have and once I choose it, everything else is done for me.
So once it was installed, I continued to get this error:

Database Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
File: xxxxxxxxxxxx/html/simplemachinesforum/Sources/Security.php
Line: 280

I get this over and over and over again and can't do anything with it. I have not edited any of the files that were installed and don't know how to tell what version I have. For those of you that would like to know the address is:

hxxp:ualvirtual.com/simplemachinesforum [nonactive]

Not to mention, the thing just takes forever to load. Now that could be a server issue and I might need to bring that up with my host.

Thanks,
John Ford

N3RVE

Welcome to SMF, johnford1986  :)
I'll move this to the Server and Performance board but I urge you to open a Support ticket at your Host. We've had several users complain of the same error and majority of them host at GoDaddy.

In order to resolve the problem you may need to increase these two values in mysql.ini or my.cnf (different Operating Systems use different files) , and restart mysql.
wait_timeout = 28800
connect_timeout = 28800
(Figures used are the default values in seconds = 8hours).

Useful links:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=1501.0
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

johnford1986

I've opened a ticket and here was the response:

Thank you for taking time to contact Online Support.  Please note that we are unable to support third party application issues and we do not support the inner functionality of this program. If you are having difficulty using a third party product, we can help troubleshoot that process to the point that we find that the issue lies entirely within the configuration of that product. You may wish to consult with a community forum online or do a search on your favorite search engine as other users may have encountered a similar problem in the past and may offer helpful solutions. If you believe the issue is caused by something within our system please reply with as much pertinent information as possible and we will further review the issue.

We will need to be able to replicate the error you are getting if you feel this is due to the hosting account.  Please provide steps to do so as well as your validation.  In order to reveal account sensitive material we will need you to validate as the account holder.  You may validate by providing your four digit call in pin, the last four of any credit card on file in your account or the last four of you Paypal order ID.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

N3RVE

Interesting,

As earlier stated,
QuoteIn order to resolve the problem you may need to increase these two values in mysql.ini or my.cnf (different Operating Systems use different files) , and restart mysql.
wait_timeout = 28800
connect_timeout = 28800

The values are currently set too low or there's too much load on the server.

These are a list of topics where users experience this issue with GoDaddy, there are alot more.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262241.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=231174.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=264871.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=270748.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262218.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=215710.0

You can point this topic out to the GoDaddy staff :)

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

SlammedDime

You can try disabling hostname lookups in SMF.  That seems to cure the problem for the most part, but I would guess that GoDaddy has something wrong with a DNS server or their DNS setup is incorrect.

Lemme guess... your ISP is Cox Communications?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

wyrdgirl

GoDaddy's wonderful support replied to me that the timeout length is 20 secs for all database inquiries.  They suggest optimizing my code to run in the specified time.  Nice

Deprecated

You have 832 websites on one server. A typical number for shared servers in my experience is about 80-200 at most hosting services.

For some strange reason GoDaddy seems to have gone psychotic in the last few weeks, stacking in websites like sardines in a can. I've personally handled some GoDaddy customers who have (1) sporadic database connection losses, and (2) often extremely long times before you can get the requested page to appear.

I don't consider myself an expert on hosting services, but in my opinion GoDaddy has escalated their overselling and is no packing in the customers so closely that it's not unusual for SMF to have problems.

There's only one solution I can think of. :)

here's one URL where you can see how many are on the same server: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

青山 素子

There also is a known issue with that particular error and users browsing using Cox as their Internet provider. Not sure if that is the core issue, but it does seem to be a common point in a good majority of these complaints recently. Disabling hostname lookups appears to help reduce the issues.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Deprecated

I've just come across topics discussing what MC mentioned regarding Cox and hostname lookups. It appears to me to be a sign of an underlying configuration problem at the hosting service.

Note that disabling hostname lookups will affect your ability for hostname bans.

Deal

I'm also at GoDaddy. That site shows 1443 domains on the same server. I know what I'm doing at renewal time...

thefley

I am a Cox customer and I have had many issues for about 8 months with them on all my sites. I have been on the phone to them over 15 times and they always blame in on my end. I have moved the database to other servers on godaddy as they have suggested but it never works.  I finally ran across this thread and find out I am not alone. Screw Godaddy, they blamed it all on SMF and my database to many times. 

Anyone know a good host for my 14 domains?  And I would not recommend 1&1 nether they are just as bad.

www.greatplainsriders.com

Deprecated

Actually 1and1 is not just as bad, nowhere near that. I have my several forums on 1and1 and my server is loaded with 216 websites. I don't have any of the problems described for GoDaddy, and my forums just all work fine.

Only one problem. It was something like 186 just a couple days ago... Uh oh!!! :)

civano1

Have you seen this thread yet??
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262241.msg1792346#msg1792346

I started this on a long time ago, and finally gave up about a month ago.  But there are some good answers over there now, that might help you all...
Mare

Deprecated

Yeah, I've been reading the several topics on the subject. GoDaddy and Cox have been coming up far too often.

johnford1986

Here is GoDaddy's reply after I showed them how to replicate the error:

After reviewing this issue, it looks like the error you are receiving is being caused by the query being timed out on our side as it is not optimized and is taking too long to to process.  To resolve this issue, please review your query and make the necessary changes to optimize it so that it will run more efficiently in our system.

Unfortunately, Online Support cannot provide tutorial or troubleshooting information regarding custom scripting or coding. I would recommend referring to a search engine or online community for further resolution. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If there is anything else that we may assist you with, please feel free to contact us via email or for a speedy response, you may call our support line at (480) 505-8877.  We are available 24/7 for your convenience.

SlammedDime

Bah, just passing the buck again... move away from GoDaddy... they'll never fix their DNS issue.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Deprecated

@John:

That's just BS. Either they don't know what it is, or they know it's their fault and they won't admit it.

At some point you have to just take your money and go somewhere else.

thefley

anyone try bluehost or hostmonster? they keep popping up when I do a search for a new host

Deprecated

It looks to me like my 1and1 is loading their servers ever more heavily, even in just the last week...

I've been thinking about BlueHost...

thefley

I work at Cox and I will see if I can get somone to look into this and see if it is a Cox issue or a Godaddy one.

greedyGreg

So is anyone having recent problems not at GoDaddy?  I am at GoDaddy and my smf site also has come to a halt... other pages on my site (non-SMF & non MySQL) are working fine though... so it seems it lies in the mysql piece of the puzzle.  Stating the obvious I guess from the previous posts.

Has anyone quickly switched to another ISP and once switched did everything go back to normal?

My only hesitation about just completely blaming GoDaddy is that my performance degradation occurred about the same time as upgrading to 1.1.6 and subsequently 1.1.7. 

青山 素子

I don't use GoDaddy (I host my own server for my personal sites), but I do manage forums hosted with 1&1 and DreamHost, and neither have the same problems. (Although the More Robots mod did cause some issues at DreamHost due to their PHP configuration.)
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

thefley

I set up a new forum tonight on hostmonster.com and it works great!!!! but I am still haveing the issues on Godaddy.com.  I will be moving all mine over to hostmonster.com 

IT IS NOT A COX ISSUE!!!

GOODBYE GODADDY!!!   google GODADDY SUCKS and you will see many others that hate them.

greedyGreg

Quote from: greedyGreg on November 11, 2008, 05:56:40 PM
So is anyone having recent problems not at GoDaddy?  I am at GoDaddy and my smf site also has come to a halt... other pages on my site (non-SMF & non MySQL) are working fine though... so it seems it lies in the mysql piece of the puzzle.  Stating the obvious I guess from the previous posts.

As an fyi, I switched from GoDaddy to 1and1 and my problems seemed to have gone away.  The switchover wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, 1and1 didn't have an easy way to upload the sql database and there is a 100mb limit that I didn't really realize... my forum is small though, should be fine.

Looks like it was a GoDaddy problem.  Too bad for them.

Deprecated

100 MB limit. Oops! :) Actually I'm with 1and1 and I keep looking at that limit and wondering what I'm going to do. OTOH my site has been running 4 months, has 90 members and 2,400 posts, and so far I'm using only 5.5 MB so I'm not too worried yet. You can be damned sure that I'm planning on picking up stakes and moving when my forum gets to the 80-90 MB area.

I haven't had any of the problems at 1and1 like are described in this topic, although they definitely have the customer support staff from Hell. :)

swtdivalove

The thing about MySQL backups is that you can actually download it, break it up into pieces and still execute the MySQL statements if you need to do a restoration.

MSSQL is another story... No way of breaking it up as easily as you can with MySQL.

One of the things is that you can actually back the database up to a file directory that only you as the host can access.

Moving hosts is a pain no matter what you do or how you do it.

I only use GoDaddy for cheap domain names.

As for them being a host?  I have no clue.

johnford1986

Quote from: [n3rve] on November 03, 2008, 05:59:35 AM
Welcome to SMF, johnford1986  :)
I'll move this to the Server and Performance board but I urge you to open a Support ticket at your Host. We've had several users complain of the same error and majority of them host at GoDaddy.

In order to resolve the problem you may need to increase these two values in mysql.ini or my.cnf (different Operating Systems use different files) , and restart mysql.
wait_timeout = 28800
connect_timeout = 28800

Useful links:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=1501.0
hxxp:dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html [nonactive]

-[n3rve]

Sorry to bring this back up after so long but I ended up just sticking with the PHPBB board I had and uninstalled the SMF one. I have since decided I would like to try it again and looking through the posts I see that you tell me to edit a file but I don't know where that file is. Any further clarification or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the support.
-John

SlammedDime

If you're on shared hosting, you won't be able to edit the mysql configuration files, and it's quite unlikely that go daddy will do it for you.  My Best advice is to switch to a different host if at all possible.  Personally, I think Go Daddy is oversold and they still haven't fixed their DNS issue. that SMF needs in order to work properly with hostname lookups.

You can try disabling hostname look ups and see if you run into any problems, it can just make banning less effective.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

johnford1986

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 26, 2009, 09:18:45 PM
If you're on shared hosting, you won't be able to edit the mysql configuration files, and it's quite unlikely that go daddy will do it for you.  My Best advice is to switch to a different host if at all possible.  Personally, I think Go Daddy is oversold and they still haven't fixed their DNS issue. that SMF needs in order to work properly with hostname lookups.

You can try disabling hostname look ups and see if you run into any problems, it can just make banning less effective.

Ok thanks. How would I disable hostname lookups?

SlammedDime

Features and Options > Layout and Settings > Disable Hostname Lookups.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

johnford1986

I guess I need to be able to log in first. lol. Thanks a bunch

johnford1986

AWESOME! Works like a charm now. Thanks so much, it really is appreciated!!!
(all I had to do was log in at least once, lol easier said than done :D )

Advertisement: