SMF Forum through GoDaddy.com

Started by johnford1986, November 02, 2008, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greedyGreg

So is anyone having recent problems not at GoDaddy?  I am at GoDaddy and my smf site also has come to a halt... other pages on my site (non-SMF & non MySQL) are working fine though... so it seems it lies in the mysql piece of the puzzle.  Stating the obvious I guess from the previous posts.

Has anyone quickly switched to another ISP and once switched did everything go back to normal?

My only hesitation about just completely blaming GoDaddy is that my performance degradation occurred about the same time as upgrading to 1.1.6 and subsequently 1.1.7. 

青山 素子

I don't use GoDaddy (I host my own server for my personal sites), but I do manage forums hosted with 1&1 and DreamHost, and neither have the same problems. (Although the More Robots mod did cause some issues at DreamHost due to their PHP configuration.)
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

thefley

I set up a new forum tonight on hostmonster.com and it works great!!!! but I am still haveing the issues on Godaddy.com.  I will be moving all mine over to hostmonster.com 

IT IS NOT A COX ISSUE!!!

GOODBYE GODADDY!!!   google GODADDY SUCKS and you will see many others that hate them.

www.greatplainsriders.com

greedyGreg

Quote from: greedyGreg on November 11, 2008, 05:56:40 PM
So is anyone having recent problems not at GoDaddy?  I am at GoDaddy and my smf site also has come to a halt... other pages on my site (non-SMF & non MySQL) are working fine though... so it seems it lies in the mysql piece of the puzzle.  Stating the obvious I guess from the previous posts.

As an fyi, I switched from GoDaddy to 1and1 and my problems seemed to have gone away.  The switchover wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, 1and1 didn't have an easy way to upload the sql database and there is a 100mb limit that I didn't really realize... my forum is small though, should be fine.

Looks like it was a GoDaddy problem.  Too bad for them.

Deprecated

100 MB limit. Oops! :) Actually I'm with 1and1 and I keep looking at that limit and wondering what I'm going to do. OTOH my site has been running 4 months, has 90 members and 2,400 posts, and so far I'm using only 5.5 MB so I'm not too worried yet. You can be damned sure that I'm planning on picking up stakes and moving when my forum gets to the 80-90 MB area.

I haven't had any of the problems at 1and1 like are described in this topic, although they definitely have the customer support staff from Hell. :)

swtdivalove

The thing about MySQL backups is that you can actually download it, break it up into pieces and still execute the MySQL statements if you need to do a restoration.

MSSQL is another story... No way of breaking it up as easily as you can with MySQL.

One of the things is that you can actually back the database up to a file directory that only you as the host can access.

Moving hosts is a pain no matter what you do or how you do it.

I only use GoDaddy for cheap domain names.

As for them being a host?  I have no clue.

johnford1986

Quote from: [n3rve] on November 03, 2008, 05:59:35 AM
Welcome to SMF, johnford1986  :)
I'll move this to the Server and Performance board but I urge you to open a Support ticket at your Host. We've had several users complain of the same error and majority of them host at GoDaddy.

In order to resolve the problem you may need to increase these two values in mysql.ini or my.cnf (different Operating Systems use different files) , and restart mysql.
wait_timeout = 28800
connect_timeout = 28800
(Figures used are the default values in seconds = 8hours).

Useful links:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=1501.0
hxxp:dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html [nonactive]

-[n3rve]

Sorry to bring this back up after so long but I ended up just sticking with the PHPBB board I had and uninstalled the SMF one. I have since decided I would like to try it again and looking through the posts I see that you tell me to edit a file but I don't know where that file is. Any further clarification or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the support.
-John

SlammedDime

If you're on shared hosting, you won't be able to edit the mysql configuration files, and it's quite unlikely that go daddy will do it for you.  My Best advice is to switch to a different host if at all possible.  Personally, I think Go Daddy is oversold and they still haven't fixed their DNS issue. that SMF needs in order to work properly with hostname lookups.

You can try disabling hostname look ups and see if you run into any problems, it can just make banning less effective.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

johnford1986

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 26, 2009, 09:18:45 PM
If you're on shared hosting, you won't be able to edit the mysql configuration files, and it's quite unlikely that go daddy will do it for you.  My Best advice is to switch to a different host if at all possible.  Personally, I think Go Daddy is oversold and they still haven't fixed their DNS issue. that SMF needs in order to work properly with hostname lookups.

You can try disabling hostname look ups and see if you run into any problems, it can just make banning less effective.

Ok thanks. How would I disable hostname lookups?

SlammedDime

Features and Options > Layout and Settings > Disable Hostname Lookups.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

johnford1986

I guess I need to be able to log in first. lol. Thanks a bunch

johnford1986

AWESOME! Works like a charm now. Thanks so much, it really is appreciated!!!
(all I had to do was log in at least once, lol easier said than done :D )

Advertisement: