Missing/blank posts after upgrade

Started by glennk, November 06, 2008, 11:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk

I hjave just noticed that in quite a few topics there are missing posts. The posters name is present but the post itself is missing.

This is an example :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/sk3-rods-anyone-tried-one/

look at the posts from sage, paulyfish and baramundi bob.

Kermit

AdminCP
Forum Maintenance
Find and repair any errors.

that can help to fix this
My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

glennk

Thankls duncan, but it says :

Congratulations, no errors found! Thanks for checking.

Back to Forum Maintenance

Kermit

Hmm,now you can try to repair your database tables via phpmyadmin and you can check your smf_messages table for the message with the id  57627 and for the other message ids as well ,which are showed as blank

What is phpMyAdmin?
My Mods
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

glennk

OK thanks Duncan, I arent really familiar with phpmyadmin but I have it open now. How do I go about doing the things you said ?? There doesnt seem to be a button for repair.

Kermit

Open phpMyAdmin (What is phpMyAdmin?), select your database, click on the SQL icon and run these queries:

Code (Run) Select

REPAIR TABLE `smf_messages`

Code (Run) Select

OPTIMIZE TABLE `smf_messages`

My Mods

A. Einstein

glennk

Ok Ive done that. How do you know if this has worked ? I pressed ok and it went to a new screen saying

Table    Op    Msg_type    Msg_text
glennk_forums.smf_messages    optimize    status    OK

I got similar messages for both queries.

The posts still remain missing though ??

Thanks for sticking around and offering some help with this. What can I try next  ?

Kermit

Hmm,it's really hard to say,what exactly the problem is,without looking at your database tables,i can't say so much about your problem,if you like,you can send me your database login informations via pm and i can check it out for you,your choice  :P
My Mods

A. Einstein

glennk

How could I refuse such an offer from support helper of the month.  ;D ;D

Pm on its way.

Kermit

I've checked out,but it's really weird,the messages,which are missing,are there also in smf_messsages table,also it's nothing wrong with the database tables

I've edited some messages manually,if you find out another blank posts,you should just tell me  ;)
My Mods

A. Einstein

glennk

Hi duncan. There really is quite a few like this right across the forum. I fear it may be very widespread and possibly beyond manual editing in each individual case. this is just one I found without having to look far at all. See post 53.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/the-best-bass-plug-for-shore-fishing/40/

Whoops - sorry, forgot to say tahnkyou for helping.

glennk

Can anyone offer any more adive on this one please ? Im left with a lot of blank posts right across my forum.

glennk

My forum members are highlighting the missing posts now. Can anyone make any suggestions of what I can do to get them back please ???

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/missing-posts/new/#new

Cheers - Glenn

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I tried some of the things to solve the following problem...

1. Ran Find and Repair Errors.
2. Ran a repair from the Cpanel.
3. Ran a DB Check from cpanel.
4. Also Ran a repair from Phpmyadmin.
5. Did the upgrade again so as to know if there are some tables not working fine.
6. Ran Find and repair errors again but nothing helped...

although i noticed that the topics with the polls have the topic starter while the normal topics have the text missing.

Hope these things helped in fixing things up.

Rumbaar

That certainly is strange.  Is there any common factor in the type of contents in the post?  Can you check a few at the db level and post what should be there.  Including all the contents of the post.

What mods do you have installed?  Do you have any error logs?  Any other filtering in place, like bad word censoring etc.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

There where attachments in most of the posts there. That was the most common factor. I dont recall that too much, but i think nothing use to come up in error log and about mods, i think there werent any.

Rumbaar

@F.L.A.M.E.R Are you referring to your forum or the OP's forum, as my questions relate to the threads creator.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Yep, i had helped him(OP) get things right, but it didnt totally happen to workout.

Rumbaar

Okay so the current missing posts, could the contains of those be looked at.  So we can try and better find a common cause.  It could certainly be a bug in BETA 4's upgrade/display process.

I can remember one other case from memory, but not sure of the version of SMF that was in use.

[ Themes ]

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Well, for that glennk has to get active in this topic. I have no idea about what other things went wrong. The above things are all of it.... Sorry if i wasnt able to help out.

Rumbaar

Yes once again I was posting to the threads creator to respond.

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: