Who's Online? User always shown as 'Registering for an Account'

Started by willerby, November 07, 2008, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willerby

Ok, this one is beyond my knowledge of PhP/Database/SMF stuff.

I have one user who has registered for my forum on 2.0b4 who is constantly shown in the Who's Online section as "Registering for an account on the Forum" even when he is posting messages?

All others appear fine and show where they are and what they are doing but this chap never changes.

What can be going on? Should I delete his account and re-register him before he has loads of posts or is the system getting stuck somewhere and can be pushed into correcting itself?

No errors in log so whatever is happening is not serious as far as I can tell and he tells me everything appears normal from his end.

What to do?
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

ccbtimewiz

Any errors in your Forum Error Log? Is this a user or a guest user? What is their IP?

willerby

Registered user, not a guest, no errors logged, IP details as follows (good ol' AOL I believe):

IP:  92.10.63.39 
Hostname:  host-92-10-63-39.as43234.net

willerby

Now corrected by deleting account and re-registering member then reassigning old posts to new member...

Not sure what happened here but new member working perfectly as are all others?

willerby

I now have an entirely different user constantly showing as viewing the same topic regardless of what he is actually viewing...

This has caused stats to be wildly out with that topic - despite being very dull - recorded as having twice as many views as any other.

Help - What's happening?

Rumbaar

Are they also from AOL?  I think the nature of AOL is that they use proxies and a site usually gets multiple hits from AOL IP ranges which are effectively from one user request.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

mk_fastian

go to the admin->Forum Maintenance->

step by step do these option in the Forum Maintenance Section:

Step1: Find and repair any errors.
Step2: Recount all forum totals and statistics.
Step3: Empty out unimportant logs.
Step4: Empty the file cache.

I Think they should correct your error..

Thanks
Please Reply your regards.

SlammedDime

What do you have set for caching?  What if you turn caching off?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

willerby

Quote from: mk_fastian on December 02, 2008, 08:01:11 AM
go to the admin->Forum Maintenance->

step by step do these option in the Forum Maintenance Section:

Step1: Find and repair any errors.
Step2: Recount all forum totals and statistics.
Step3: Empty out unimportant logs.
Step4: Empty the file cache.

I Think they should correct your error..

Thanks
Please Reply your regards.

Have tried and will see when the user returns.

Caching set as default 'level 1 - recommended' - will try turning off after I've assessed above.

problem is definitely intermittent as in about 2/3 cases user is shown Registering for the Forum even though he is logged in. Other times he appears fine. he always accesses via same PC and generally doesn't sit anywhere for long except main page.

willerby

Ok. I've tried both options suggested above and this damn user still shows as 'Registering for the Forum'.Now I know its not important as its only showing a snapshot of the last activity but something is wrong here.

I suspect the problem is related to mod "Users Online Today" which has been reported as causing other issues but not knowing enough about how SMF picks up data from the database I'm at a loss.

Is such a problem likely to cause other issues or can I just ignore it?

Any other ideas as to what might resolve?

I have one other user that I've noticed as constantly visiting one topic, when he clearly is not - I've asked him - so problem is not jus AOL as he uses a different ISP.

Why would a query pick up the wrong data consistently? I just don't get it. Even with cacheing off it still does it!

Rumbaar

You might want to check to see where the data is stored for that mod.  It might be external to any 'normal' SMF area and thus not have cleared its cache or where it's storing that information.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: