News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

How easy to go back ??

Started by glennk, November 08, 2008, 04:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk

Ive been on smf 2 for about a week now. I have realised I have made a rather big mistake. My forum is littered with missing posts. On this board, every topic has the first post missing.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/photography-competitions/

On many topics across the forum posts are missing at random. THis is really freaking me out now and I fear I might have lost years of hard work.

How easy would it be for me to go back over ??

jossanaijr

glennk

I have a back up from a week ago. will it be possible to transfer the last weeks topics too ??

babjusi

Quote from: glennk on November 08, 2008, 04:38:29 PM
Ive been on smf 2 for about a week now. I have realised I have made a rather big mistake. My forum is littered with missing posts. On this board, every topic has the first post missing.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/photography-competitions/

On many topics across the forum posts are missing at random. THis is really freaking me out now and I fear I might have lost years of hard work.

How easy would it be for me to go back over ??

If you made a backup before you upgraded to 2.0, then it would be easy to roll back tot he 1.1.7. Only thing, you will loose one week''s posts (i.e. all the posts that were made in the 2.0)

If you don''t have a backup, then you can still roll back to the 1.1.7 by manually altering the db tables. But that is a very difficult and long task.

babjusi

Quote from: glennk on November 08, 2008, 04:44:22 PM
I have a back up from a week ago. will it be possible to transfer the last weeks topics too ??

In that case, you can restore the backup but the last week topics/posts/new members that were acquired in the 2.0 will be lost.

glennk

mm this is bad news I had hoped I could transfer the posts from the last week too. I guess I need to make a decission fast before I loose more time.

How likely is it that if I leave things as they are my missing posts will come back with the next upgrade to 2 beta 5 ? Also do you know of anyone else who has lost posts and if they managed to get them back ?

jossanaijr

But why are you losing posts?...

glennk

I really dont know. I posted a topic about it. One guy very kindly took a look and said all the posts were in the database but were not showing on the forum. Since then I have been unable to get any help. I am very wooried about this. The longer I try for help, the longer I will loose if I go back to my update. But if I sit it out hoping for a solution to the lost posts I may loose them forever and not be able to restore as I will loose all my recent posts.

Its a real dilema.

godboko

Glenn, my advise is, roll your forum back to your backup from a weekago. Once that's back up and running, set up a sub folder and a second DB and try your hand at an upgrade again. This way you can play and get the upgrade right before upgrading your real forum.
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

glennk

Is it possible to run the upgrade package on my database again as it currently stands to see if that will sort this problem ?

godboko

Quote from: glennk on November 08, 2008, 05:48:37 PM
Is it possible to run the upgrade package on my database again as it currently stands to see if that will sort this problem ?

Well what you could do, is make a backup of the DB as it stands, also make a backup of your files as they stand, then upload your old backup (DB), reupload the 2.0 files and run the update.   Also, when you did the update, did you have any mods installed?
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

glennk

Hi Godboko,

Thanks for your help. I have the original backup and could use it if necassery, but I am very reluctant to loose a full weeks posts without exploring every other avenue first.

My thinking is that I have checked the database as it stands now. In smf_messages the missing posts are present. Logically this suggests that the problem lies somewhere other than the database ??? Could this problem lie with the smf 2b4 files ??? Is this a bug causing the problem ??

So could I run the smf 2b4 upgrade on the current database to see if that picks up the missing posts.

Rumbaar

For the majority of people there is no viable option for roll back, that is why we indicate it's a one way process.

The restoration of the old backup will need to be done, and you move on.  The changes that were made after upgrade will be lost and you wont be able to recover those either.  As the various ID numbers will be used when you restore and continue on.  You'll get duplication errors in future if you try.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: