News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

vB2->SMF1.0.1 converter??

Started by MichiganMinis, February 08, 2005, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganMinis

Hi, Im new here and I have searched for this. I am looking for a way to convert my vb2 based forum over to SMF. Is there such a way to do this, or will I just have to keep going from scratch?

Also, when and if I can bring over all the posts, members, and such from the old server/forum. Will there be any problems with the new posts, and members that are there again?

Thanks,
Jason
Michigan Minis.

scottb

[Unknown]

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=26551.0

I'm afraid the conversion will delete any members and posts in the current SMF forum first.  It will not affect the vBulletin forum.

-[Unknown]

MichiganMinis

Sorry about that. I found the converter after I posted.

But, I have the problem of it not finding the settings for my vB forum. Does the forum have to be on the same server as the SMF???

[Unknown]

Quote from: MichiganMinis on February 08, 2005, 06:11:43 PM
Sorry about that. I found the converter after I posted.

But, I have the problem of it not finding the settings for my vB forum. Does the forum have to be on the same server as the SMF???

I'm afraid it does.  You can copy just the configuration file, and edit it to point to the other server if you want.  I would strongly recommend copying the database to the new server, though, because otherwise the conversion will take ages.

-[Unknown]

MichiganMinis

Can I back up the database, then upload it to the same dir. as my SMF then convert from there?

[Unknown]

Quote from: MichiganMinis on February 08, 2005, 07:02:09 PM
Can I back up the database, then upload it to the same dir. as my SMF then convert from there?

Well, the database is stored in MySQL's data directory, so no not just like that.  The database needs to be copied over, yes... by creating a backup (e.g. with phpMyAdmin) and then restoring it on the new server (again with a tool like phpMyAdmin.)  Then, the configuration file (which is the only file SMF needs from vBulletin) needs to be copied to the new server, and edited to point to the database correctly (it's a simple file.)

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: