News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Must reply to # posts before posting new?

Started by KahneFan, November 13, 2008, 01:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahneFan

On 2.0, how do I make it so that a member must reply to a certain number of posts before they can post a new topic?
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

KahneFan

That's OK with me. I even tried making "regular members" not allowed to post new topics, but it just says the topic must be approved by admin.

palofdru

Quote from: KahneFan on November 13, 2008, 01:31:27 AM
On 2.0, how do I make it so that a member must reply to a certain number of posts before they can post a new topic?

It's actually quite simple.

Move the ability to CREATE a topic, to the realm of a POST BASED membergroup.

They will be able to reply but only to posts until the threshold is reached.
My best suggestion to you is that you do whatever you feel like doing, for whatever reason you choose to make, without any required explanation nor justification. You probably will, so hop to it!

boo hoo!

KahneFan

I may be missing something because it does not appear as though you can turn on/off the ability to post on the "post based" groups, only the "regular" groups. Please let me know what I may have missed and what steps I might need to take to make this happen.

I tried removing the ability to post from "regular members" which is associated with "Newbies" (2>) and the only thing that changes was when I (test account) click "New Topic" I get this message...

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator. 

I don't want that message. I don't want the "New Topic" button at all until they've posted # replies.

palofdru

for this example I am using 1.17.

action=permissions;sa=modify;group=0

For REGULAR members turn OFF the ability to create Topics

Then create a Post Based Group that is reached when members have 5 posts (call it chatterboxgroup)

action=membergroups;sa=add

you can even restrict the boards that the new members can see (for instance, the "Introduction boards") or something

If you do this, I would suggest adding the "Permissions Mod" (which lists a VBulletin like list of permissions you have:
You Can post
You Can Edit your Posts
IMG code is OFF)

also the "You can see these boards but cant enter w/o permissions mod" (so it doesnt look like you only have 2 boards in the whole forum :P)
My best suggestion to you is that you do whatever you feel like doing, for whatever reason you choose to make, without any required explanation nor justification. You probably will, so hop to it!

boo hoo!

KahneFan

I have not yet tried the permissions mod, but using the steps you've provided gives me the same result as the post above [admin approval message].

palofdru

Quote from: KahneFan on November 13, 2008, 11:36:03 AM
I have not yet tried the permissions mod, but using the steps you've provided gives me the same result as the post above [admin approval message].

No it does not.

For one, my description was incomplete :(

If you had followed my steps exactly, then YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CREATE TOPICS

Here, in detail, are the step by step actions WHICH WORK

1, create a post based group: "can_create_topics" (you are free to call it something else later, for now= do as i say! :) )

2. Turn off the the ability to make topics for the regular members
(you may want to turn off the ability to create POLLS and such as well
go here - action=permissions;sa=modify;group=0
Click on the Modify option for the regular members group.

3. // You want these features you turned OFF to be turned ON (in a good way:D) by the POST BASED GROUP you just set up, but first, you need to turn on the ability to edit permissions for post based groups!
so go here.. ?action=permissions;sa=settings
Enable permissions for post count based groups (?):     

Enable advanced by-board permissions (?):

boo hoo!

Rumbaar

You might have to enable "enable post count based permissions", then like you've done take the ability for Regular members to post new topics.  Assign it to the Post Count with the number of posts you want and above.  With the rest below without the ability to create topics.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: