Restrict Email Providers on Registration

Started by Kermit, November 14, 2008, 05:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned.net

Hi all,

like GravuTrad said, it would be really great to have this mod as a native feature of SMF, or at least updated to be functionnal in latest version of SMF. It's incredibly usefull for professional-use forums.
no shame not knowing,
a lot not learning
------------------------
Il n'y a aucune honte à ne pas savoir
mais beaucoup à ne pas apprendre

Kiriakos GR

I do agree too,  this should become native feature of SMF.

Gmail and Hotmail these are now first class disposable email accounts.
Even spam bots using them to register as members.
Any new owner of disposable Android electronics device, he gets Gmail account right away.

I do consider this mod as Security level one and a missing SMF feature.
And no, SMF version emulation this is not smart idea for installation of older mods.
95% of SMF administrators we are not software programmers. 

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kiriakos GR on May 06, 2018, 05:53:06 PM

How? You do know that Gmail and Hotmail now both have an SMS verification system, right? It won't let you register unless you type in the code supplied via SMS. Sure, there are lots of sites that supply free phone numbers that can receive SMS, but who would go through that much trouble just to register on a forum to write spam ::).

In fact, since they've implemented the phone verification system, Gmail and Hotmail are one of the more trusted services. Hotmail just carries it's bad name from years of abuse.

Now, here are typical examples of "disposable" mail servers: mail.ru, yandex.com, mail.com...
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GravuTrad

[email protected] is a gmail spambot, so no these big mailboxes enterprises are not secure to spam.
nothing is secure to spam.
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

GigaWatt

I was talking about spammers, not bots... bots will always find a way.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

jelv

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 06, 2018, 08:29:39 PM
Quote from: Kiriakos GR on May 06, 2018, 05:53:06 PM

How? You do know that Gmail and Hotmail now both have an SMS verification system, right? It won't let you register unless you type in the code supplied via SMS. Sure, there are lots of sites that supply free phone numbers that can receive SMS, but who would go through that much trouble just to register on a forum to write spam ::).

In fact, since they've implemented the phone verification system, Gmail and Hotmail are one of the more trusted services. Hotmail just carries it's bad name from years of abuse.

Now, here are typical examples of "disposable" mail servers: mail.ru, yandex.com, mail.com...

You've totally misunderstood the issue.

It is NOT because spammers are registering using hotmail etc. to sign up to SMF based forums. It is because their totally pathetic Smart Filter every so often decides to bounce back notification and registration emails for absolutely no valid reason* and the site admin then has to expend hours convincing Micro$oft to remove the block only for a few months later the same thing to happen again. This has been going on for two or three years and forum admins around the world have had enough - due to the aggravation caused they just want to say sorry to people attempting to register using M$ emails, please use a different reliable mail provider.

* There is a suspicion that deletion of SMF notification emails without being opened is perhaps why emails from SMF forums are being considered "spammy" and that is why the mail servers for SMF forums are being blocked.
jelv

demlak

I totaly agree.. microsoft mailservers blocking other mailservers like hell..
this is not a smf thing, microsoft blocks complete IP ranges.
This means: if any other Server at my hoster is blocked by microsoft for spamming, my server is blocked, too

every few month i have trouble in getting my server unblocked. and now is the time i don't want to discuss anymore with microsoft. i want to block all mail-related microsoft servers. users with accounts of them have to choose another one.. it's not the fault of us admins. its the fault of microsoft. and it's not my part to work on this over and over again.

demlak

I just changed the original mod to work with smf 2.0.15 (was very easy)
the lost </i> tags mentioned here by Sh@mbles, are also now added.

i also tried to add this nice idea.. but it does not work:

Quote from: GL700Wing on March 11, 2017, 05:59:01 AM
To prevent the use of a restricted email provider when members change their email address while modifying their profile make the following change to ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php

Find:

return 'bad_email';

Replace with:

return 'bad_email';

// Lets restrict some email providers
if (!empty($modSettings['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']))
{
if (!empty($modSettings['restricted_provider']))
{
$restricted_provider = explode(",", preg_replace("/(\@[^a-zA-Z0-9,])/", "", $modSettings['restricted_provider']));

foreach ($restricted_provider as $key => $value)
if (empty($value))
unset($restricted_provider[$key]);
}
else
$restricted_provider = array();

foreach($restricted_provider as $provider)
{
preg_match('/' . $provider . '+/i', $email, $matches);

if(count($matches) > 0)
{
fatal_error(sprintf($txt['restricted']), false);
}
}
}

any idea how to realise the idea of not allowing users to modify their emailadress to a restricted one?

you can find the modded mod (incl. the not working part for profile-modifications) as attachment

-- edit by moderator - the mod license does not allow modification and redistribution of the mod package. Attachment removed. --

GL700Wing

To prevent the use of a restricted email provider when members change their email address while modifying their profile make the following change to ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php

Find:

return 'bad_email';

Replace with:

return 'bad_email';

global $modSettings, $txt;
{
{
$restricted_provider = explode(",", preg_replace("/(\@[^a-zA-Z0-9,])/", "", $modSettings['restricted_provider']));

if (empty($value))
}
else

{

if(count($matches) > 0)
{
}
}
}

Updated 13-Sep-18 - added "global $modSettings, $txt;"
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

demlak

hey GL700Wing, thx a lot!

but, there is still something faulty =)

in my test, there is a user with a restricted mail in his account and he tries to change the mailadress to a non restricted one.. and gets the blocking message.

edit:
tested far more now.. the blocking message apears always.. doesn't matter if original mailadress is restricted or not. same on target mailadress. so, it's like blocking mailchange for everyone and every mailadress

GL700Wing

Quote from: demlak on September 13, 2018, 04:12:54 AM
hey GL700Wing, thx a lot!

but, there is still something faulty =)

in my test, there is a user with a restricted mail in his account and he tries to change the mailadress to a non restricted one.. and gets the blocking message.

edit:
tested far more now.. the blocking message apears always.. doesn't matter if original mailadress is restricted or not. same on target mailadress. so, it's like blocking mailchange for everyone and every mailadress

I have tested this on an SMF 2.0.15 forum with no other mods installed and it is working as expected. 

When testing make sure you refresh the page before trying to change the email address again (when the page is refreshed you will see the email address currently stored in the database for the user) - if you don't refresh the page you may encounter errors.

demlak

i always test such things in a new private window of browser.. fresh logging in user.. so there are no caching-problems.

in my environment, it has the described problem: whenever a user wants to change the mailadress, there comes the blocking-message. doesn't matter if this is a blocked mailadress or not. this also happens to administrators.

if your code is correct, then it must be because of another mod. i'll investigate this. also will try a fresh smf install. thx a lot

EDIT:
found the problem.. there was a typo in my filterlist.. shame on me =)

thx again for your work!

GL700Wing

Quote from: demlak on September 13, 2018, 06:26:39 AM
i always test such things in a new private window of browser.. fresh logging in user.. so there are no caching-problems.

in my environment, it has the described problem: whenever a user wants to change the mailadress, there comes the blocking-message. doesn't matter if this is a blocked mailadress or not. this also happens to administrators.

if your code is correct, then it must be because of another mod. i'll investigate this. also will try a fresh smf install. thx a lot
What values do you have entered in each of the three fields (in Modifications Settings -> Miscellaneous) this mod?

demlak

as my edit states, it was my fault.. i had a typo in the filterlist =)

GL700Wing

Quote from: demlak on September 13, 2018, 07:05:05 AM
as my edit states, it was my fault.. i had a typo in the filterlist =)
Apologies - I hadn't noticed your edit when I replied.  Glad you got it sorted.

demlak

btw.. if anyone is interested in the filterlist for microsoft servers, this is the one i use:

@hotmail.com,@hotmail.co,@hotmail.co.uk,@hotmail.de,@hotmail.eu,@hotmail.net,@hotmail.org,@live.com,@live.co,@live.co.uk,@live.de,@live.eu,@live.net,@live.org,@msn.com,@msn.co,@msn.co.uk,@msn.de,@msn.eu,@msn.net,@msn.org,@outlook.com,@outlook.co,@outlook.co.uk,@outlook.de,@outlook.eu,@outlook.net,@outlook.org,@passport.com,@passport.net

since admins deleted the updated modification i attached to a post above, i just tell you how to get the mod working with actual SMF 2.0.15:

1. download and unpack the zip
2. open install2.xml
3. delete everything after
<id>Duncan85:Restrict_Email_Providers_on_Registration</id>
and place in:

<version>1.2a</version>

<file name="$sourcedir/Subs-Members.php">
<operation>
<search position="replace"><![CDATA[ // !!! Separate the sprintf?
if (empty($regOptions['email'])]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[   // Lets restrict some email providers
   {

if (empty($value))
   }
   else

if (!empty($modSettings['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']) && !empty($modSettings['restricted_provider']))
   {
      {         
         preg_match('/' . $provider . '+/i', $_POST['email'], $matches);

if(count($matches) > 0)
            fatal_error(sprintf($txt['restricted'], $regOptions['username']), false);
      }
   }

if (!empty($modSettings['accepted_provider']))
   {
      $accepted_provider = explode(",", preg_replace("/(\@[^a-zA-Z0-9,])/", "", $modSettings['accepted_provider']));

foreach ($accepted_provider as $akey => $avalue)
         if (empty($avalue))
            unset($accepted_provider[$akey]);
   }
   else
      $accepted_provider = array(); 

if (!empty($modSettings['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']) && !empty($modSettings['accepted_provider']))
   {
      foreach($accepted_provider as $aprovider)
      {         
         preg_match('/' . $aprovider . '+/i', $_POST['email'], $matches);

if(count($accepted_provider) == 1)
{
if(count($matches) == 0)
}
else
{
if(count($matches) == 0 && !(each($accepted_provider)))
}
      }
   }
   // !!! Separate the sprintf?
   elseif (empty($regOptions['email'])]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$sourcedir/Profile-Modify.php">
<operation>
<search position="replace"><![CDATA[ return 'bad_email';]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[ return 'bad_email';

global $modSettings, $txt;
{
{

if (empty($value))
}
else

{

if(count($matches) > 0)
{
}
}
}]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$sourcedir/ManageSettings.php">
<operation>
<search position="before"><![CDATA[ // Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!
]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[
array('check', 'enable_restrict_EmailProvider',
&$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']),
array('text', 'restricted_provider', '35',
&$txt['restricted_provider']),
array('text', 'accepted_provider', '35',
&$txt['accepted_provider']),
]]></add>
</operation>

</file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.english.php">
<operation>
<search position="end" />
<add><![CDATA[$txt['restricted'] = 'Sorry, E-mail accounts from that provider cannot be used, we have had members reporting emails not being received when using the E-Mail addresses from your provider, please use an alternative email address. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by your E-Mail provider.';
$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider'] = 'Enable restriction of E-Mail providers';
$txt['restricted_provider'] = 'Which providers should<br />be restricted? (Blacklist)<br /><i> (As an example,for the providers <b><font color="red">hotmail and gmail</font></b> you should write @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Note that either restricted provider or accepted provider list should be empty.</i></b></font>';
$txt['accepted_provider'] = 'Which providers should<br />be accepted? (Whitelist)<br /><i> (As an example,for the providers <b><font color="red">hotmail and gmail</font></b> you should write @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Note that either restricted provider or accepted provider list should be empty.</i></b></font>';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.english-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[$txt['restricted'] = 'Sorry, E-mail accounts from that provider cannot be used, we have had members reporting emails not being received when using the E-Mail addresses from your provider, please use an alternative email address. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by your E-Mail provider.';
$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider'] = 'Enable restriction of E-Mail providers';
$txt['restricted_provider'] = 'Which providers should<br />be restricted? (Blacklist)<br /><i> (As an example,for the providers <b><font color="red">hotmail and gmail</font></b> you should write @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Note that either restricted provider or accepted provider list should be empty.</i></b></font>';
$txt['accepted_provider'] = 'Which providers should<br />be accepted? (Whitelist)<br /><i> (As an example,for the providers <b><font color="red">hotmail and gmail</font></b> you should write @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Note that either restricted provider or accepted provider list should be empty.</i></b></font>';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.german_informal.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[$txt['restricted'] = 'Es tut uns leid, E-Mail-Adressen von diesem Anbieter können nicht genutzt werden. Nutzer berichteten uns, dass sie E-Mails nicht erhalten haben, wenn sie diesen Anbieter nutzten. Bitte benutze eine alternative E-Mail-Adresse. Es tut uns leid, dass dein E-Mail-Anbieter solche Probleme bereitet.';
$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider'] = 'Aktiviere die Sperre für E-Mail-Anbieter';
$txt['restricted_provider'] = 'Welche E-Mail Anbieter sollen<br />gesperrt werden? (Blacklist)<br /><i>(z.B. für <b><font color="red">hotmail und gmail</font></b> solltest du schreiben: @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Anmerkung: Entweder Blacklist oder Whitelist sollte leer sein.</i></b></font>';
$txt['accepted_provider'] = 'Welche E-Mail Anbieter sollen<br />akzeptiert werden? (Whitelist)<br /><i>(z.B. für <b><font color="red">hotmail und gmail</font></b> solltest du schreiben: @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Anmerkung: Entweder Blacklist oder Whitelist sollte leer sein.</i></b></font>';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.german_informal-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[$txt['restricted'] = 'Es tut uns leid, E-Mail-Adressen von diesem Anbieter können nicht genutzt werden. Nutzer berichteten uns, dass sie E-Mails nicht erhalten haben, wenn sie diesen Anbieter nutzten. Bitte benutze eine alternative E-Mail-Adresse. Es tut uns leid, dass dein E-Mail-Anbieter solche Probleme bereitet.';
$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider'] = 'Aktiviere die Sperre für E-Mail-Anbieter';
$txt['restricted_provider'] = 'Welche E-Mail Anbieter sollen<br />gesperrt werden? (Blacklist)<br /><i>(z.B. für <b><font color="red">hotmail und gmail</font></b> solltest du schreiben: @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Anmerkung: Entweder Blacklist oder Whitelist sollte leer sein.</i></b></font>';
$txt['accepted_provider'] = 'Welche E-Mail Anbieter sollen<br />akzeptiert werden? (Whitelist)<br /><i>(z.B. für <b><font color="red">hotmail und gmail</font></b> solltest du schreiben: @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i><font color="red"><br />Anmerkung: Entweder Blacklist oder Whitelist sollte leer sein.</i></b></font>';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

</modification>

Save the file, zip all files and install mod by using this new zip file.

this includes all mentioned fixes in this thread and also a german translation for "german informal"
notice: the version number and title (it's not for registration only, anymore) of the mod is not changed. if you want to do so, edit package-info.xml, too.

p.s. i hope, this is not a license problem anymore =) btw.. which license? did not find any.

dalslandan

Didn't actually try the mod stand-alone, because of its age. Tried demlak's modification tho, and ran into multiple issues.
In summary it partially worked, but much felt poorly done from the start.

Good news tho, I spent up all morning rewriting and testing.
And Blacklist/Whitelist on both registration and profile modify works successfully!

There is one very minor flaw, when you register with the email e.g. @gmail.com without anything before the '@'
it can trigger the Blacklist/Whitelist message to show the user (instead of the INVALID email message). So when you enter an e-mail like that, and the code doesn't halt right away (with some function) but instead evaluates the Blacklist/Whitelist code it will successfully be triggered. For the non technical this is very minor. If someone technical wants to have more info, it has to do with the if-clause with the strpos function.

If you want to install this on your own, I will provide the instructions for manual installation when it is not already installed.
The code for the Profile-Modify.php, and Subs-Members.php is almost identical except for 1 variable. The email variable, but for simplicity and agony of not messing something up I included both.
https://gist.github.com/dalslandan200/1efe7fe82a3b9d9e8c8d87a339a7dfe0 [nofollow]

Find following code in Profile-Modify.php and add code from gist below.
Quoteif (preg_match('~^[0-9A-Za-z=_+\-/][0-9A-Za-z=_\'+\-/\.]*@[\w\-]+(\.[\w\-]+)*(\.[\w]{2,6})$~', $email) == 0)
      return 'bad_email';

Find following code in Subs-Member.php and add code from gist below.
Quote// !!! Separate the sprintf?
   if (empty($regOptions['email']) || filter_var($regOptions['email'], FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL) === false || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
      $reg_errors[] = array('lang', 'profile_error_bad_email');

Find following code in ManageSettings.php
Quote// Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!

Add this code below:
Quotearray('check', 'enable_restrict_EmailProvider',
      &$txt['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']),
      array('text', 'restricted_provider', '35',
      array('text', 'accepted_provider', '35',
      &$txt['accepted_provider']),

And for a final touch, I fixed the text for something more appropriate.
In Modifications.english.php add the following to the bottom, before the closing bracket.
Quote$txt['restricted'] = 'Sorry, E-mail accounts from that provider cannot be used.';
$txt['restricted_provider'] = 'Blacklisted email providers<br /><i> (comma separate each entry, e.g. @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i>';
$txt['accepted_provider'] = 'Whitelisted email providers<br /><i> (comma separate each entry, e.g. @hotmail.com,@gmail.com)</i>';

Technically what has changed from the mod is the code parts for registration, and profile modify.
If you e.g. have something Blacklisted, but also Whitelisted; Anything Blacklisted isn't relevant, since you are using Whitelisting instead. Makes sense right?
Anyhow, you are free to set-up your config how you want. But obviously Blacklisting something, when you already are Whitelisting is useless since everything else is already blacklisted.

You are welcome, and I hope this helps someone. This code was tested using SMF 2.0.15*

dalslandan

This is an update to my previous post, if you haven't read it. I'm quite afraid you have to, to understand this part.

• In my earlier post I talked about an flaw in my code, when using an empty e-mail address like this @gmail.com

• Another issue I came across was with the Whitelisting. If I for instance have whitelisted @gmail.com
    [email protected] would still be allowed. A serious flaw, if someone where to create a sub-domain email like that and by-pass the whitelist.

• Another issue I encountered was the obtuseness of having Blacklisting, since everything could be handled much nicer with only whitelisting instead.

So, all issues have been fixed. #1 and #2 have been updated to the previous github Gist posted by me.

#1, #2, and #3 fixes have been added to this new Gist, why? Because Blacklisting is removed. My recommendation would be to only use whitelisting (because of simplicity).
https://gist.github.com/dalslandan200/192cddeeaf7cdb20661855be7fb00460 [nofollow]

Whether you are using this new gist, or the one in the earlier post. I still emphasize that full security have been focused on the whitelisting part.
Code have been extensively tested on, PHP 5.5, 5.6, and 7.X for compatibility. It doesn't really matter which you use, but this gist is more neat and tidy.
All installation steps are the same as in the previous post, same files, same place. Only new code for parts in Subs-Members.php and Profile-Modify.php

If you have the ORIGINAL mod installed, via the mod installer or have done it manually earlier. This update works fine. Just don't forget to check that e-mail integrity exists before evaluating the new code block in Subs-Members.php. If you don't have this code (code part was replaced by mod installer), it is this part you are probably missing:
// !!! Separate the sprintf?
if (empty($regOptions['email']) || filter_var($regOptions['email'], FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL) === false || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
$reg_errors[] = array('lang', 'profile_error_bad_email');

Additional recommended things to do is remove the Blacklisting part from the Admin area. Find and remove/comment out this in ManageSettings.php
Quotearray('text', 'restricted_provider', '35',

Even more additional things would be to remove the text string restricted_provider from Modifications.english.php, but that is very minor and not necessary at all.

EXTRA information (not relevant to read, unless you want to):
Some of the problems I encountered with the Blacklisting part was the fact that, how wide should it be?
Currently if I would blacklist @icloud.com using my earlier Gist, which have blacklisting still enabled the results would be:
E-Mail: [email protected] (blocked)
E-Mail: [email protected] (blocked) - Should this be blocked or allowed?
E-Mail: [email protected] (allowed) - I guess this one should be blocked, since it is a sub-domain of @icloud.com

If I update the old gist with new Blacklisting features, it would probably be so that the results would instead be:
E-Mail: [email protected] (blocked) - Since this is the domain itself
E-Mail: [email protected] (blocked) - Since this is the sub-domain
E-Mail: [email protected] (allowed) - Since this domain is not related

Please read the comment section in the old gist, where I will update if I make any such changes.

In all simplicity, I'm still favoring whitelisting because of the overall simplicity. "Feel like an e-mail domain is bother you, well remove it from the whitelist." - Simple.

kitz

QuoteI'm still favoring whitelisting

I should think just whitelisting would be totally impractical for most forum owners.  I've been wanting to install this mod since Jan 2018, but ran into similar problems as others at that time.

I couldn't even begin to list the domain names in the email address as the vast majority of our users have ISP based mail.  The list would run into the hundreds of allowable email addresses for our UK users and I'm still bound to have forgotten to add some other valid email domains for other countries.  All I wanted to do is ban the MS based mail which is proving problematic due to the problems outlined in Jelv's post due to Microsoft servers blocking many SMF forum mail. 

I agree with some of the others that ideally this filter should actually be part of the main SMF software.   Some other forum software already has this feature. 
It's a damn shame that there is no updated package for this mod that works with SMF 2.0.18 :(

ZabiinoOo

i adapted this mod for 2.0.18 last update today, greetings my friends 8)

Edit: Removed attachment due to unclear licensing of the original. -Lex

Advertisement: