News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message"

Started by Triangle, November 20, 2008, 02:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triangle

Same issue here since the recent upgrade to 1.7.1. Not everyone seems to be affected, but the reports of sessions problems is increasing.

Mods:
Anti-bot Puzzles
TinyPortal 1.052

I've done several things as suggested in similar threads without success including:

- Changing cookie name
- Using database driven sessions
- Repair & optimize sessions table
- Fourm url is set correctly
- session timeout is 2880
- forum is not a subdomain (www.domain.com/forum)

Clearing cookies works temporarily, but eventually they get the error and are forced to clear cookies again in order to post or PM. Issues have been reported with Firefox 3.0.4 and IE 6/7.

Triangle

I checked the Use subdomain independent cookies option to see if that would help. No luck. Users still experiencing the issue and I actually had to clear cookies to get into Admin just now.

Rumbaar

Can you supply a direct link to your forum?

It could be path issue, or a server issue.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Triangle

Here is a link to the forum. Could this be an issue with an older TP theme? I'm having some users test out a newer theme and so far none of them have reported a sessions issue with the alternate theme. Given that the issue only began after the upgrade from SMF 1.1.6 to 1.1.7, is there any new code that has changed in 1.1.7 that could cause an older theme to have these problems?

Rumbaar

Yes there were some session based checks added as security in the 1.1.7 patch.  But to the best of my knowledge they are admin based checks so shouldn't affect any general users.

Are they getting it at one particular location or board?  Or all the time.  New threads or replies?

Also what is this?
OpenX has not been installed yet -- please read the INSTALL.txt file.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Triangle

Users are seeing the error when posting a new topic, replying to threads, sending or replying to PMs, deleting PMs, logging out, and also taking actions in Admin. Everything seems to work for a while after clearing cookies and then it will occur again.

Rumbaar

and this only ever happened after the update from 1.1.6-1.1.7.  You never had any kind of issues before hand?  I'm not sure the nature of the changes of the current 1.0.* release of TinyPortal.  Are any others using that version experience similar issues?

[ Themes ]

Triangle

Correct, never a sessions problem before 1.1.7. I've been over at the TP forum, but I haven't found anyone with the issue due to 1.1.7 alone. TP support wants me to disable mod_security and see if that makes a difference. I kinda feel like I should have to do that since there has got to be a reason for this in the code somewhere.

Triangle

The OpenX message is just a banner ad script that I haven't finished upgrading yet.

Rumbaar

Well mod_security is an issue that might be causing this and other issues.  Which in itself isn't required so disabling it might be a viable and direct option.  Check out the sticky on the subject.

[ Themes ]

Triangle

Triangle

Turning off mod_security hasn't helped. Any other ideas? Themes that use the default display.template.php seem to work without issues. The 2 themes with sessions errors have their own display.template.php. However, I've been using these for a long time all the way up to 1.1.6 without a problem. Upgrade to 1.1.7 and all the problems started.

Rumbaar

I know the patch for 1.1.7 introduced extra session verification checks in key areas, but I'm sure they were all admin based.

Are you, as an admin, the only one who is getting the session issues?  Are those that affected admins as well?

[ Themes ]

Triangle

As admin I am getting the errors intermittenly, but my regular users seem to get them even more frequently. For now, I've removed the custom display.template.php file from the custom theme so it uses the default file. So far it seems to have worked, but I'm waiting on more feedback from users.

Rumbaar

What is the theme that is causing the issue, you might want to take it up with the author.  Was it a fully 1.1.x compatible theme?

[ Themes ]

Triangle

Yes, it was. It's Bloc's Helios for TP theme. I am also talking to those guys over there.

Triangle

Spoke too soon, users are still getting this with HeliosTP even after I removed the display.template.php file from the theme's folder. I also just got the error when replying to a PM as admin.

Rumbaar

If you take out the following do you continue to get session issues?
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-0678663216412486";
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
google_ad_format = "468x60_as";
google_ad_type = "text_image";
//2007-09-07: ForumTopRight
google_ad_channel = "2988487297";
google_color_border = "808080";
google_color_bg = "000000";
google_color_link = "FFFFFF";
google_color_text = "CCCCCC";
google_color_url = "999999";
google_ui_features = "rc:6";
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
  src="http://pagead2. googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

Or also try disabling each of your custom blocks, trying the site and seeing if session errors.  Then add each one by one and see if it's caused by any of those.

[ Themes ]

Triangle

It looks like this was caused by a bit of missing code in Security.php that TP failed to add. So far so good with that mod to the code. Fingers crossed.

willerby

Quote from: Triangle on December 11, 2008, 12:45:35 PM
It looks like this was caused by a bit of missing code in Security.php that TP failed to add. So far so good with that mod to the code. Fingers crossed.

I get this on my Forum, could you explain what was missing from theme?

Thanks
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Advertisement: