Questions about Joomla and 1.1.7

Started by blondeamon, November 22, 2008, 10:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blondeamon

Greetings guys

i am a new webmaster trying to design a Alumni website for my University. I was thinking of making a site with Joomla for Portal (CMS) and SMF 1.1.7 forum integrated for community forum.

Is this possible or there is incompatibility between them? It would be great if you could provide some information or een links to other threads about this. I have SMF for years but not until recently did i think of integrating Joomla.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help a beginner in CMS
Always looking for the best

www.kamenos.gr  Greek Gaming Community

blondeamon

lureah21

I don't know how well this works, but I've heard good things. Definitely worth a shot.

http://www.jfusion.org/

blondeamon

So in few words, if i have SMF i cant have Joomla as portal.

What else can i have if not joomla? I have TP for years and im not satisified at all.

lureah21

There's an officially supported bridge for Mambo.

You could also try this bridge:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,5388/Itemid,35/

But like I said earlier, Jfusion is supposed to work pretty well.

Voyeurette

Greetings Blondeamon - I'm sort of in the same place - starting up a new joomla 1.5 website  - wanting to bridge my existing 1.1.7 smf forum...

I was going to try the bridge posted above ( J 1.5 to smf 2.0  )  but I get the feeling it might not work...

blondeamon

Hi Voy , yes but that way we would have to convert our forums to SMF2 which i dont want to because it is still a beta and the site im working on is destined for university use.

lureah21

Did you even visit the Jfusion site? If you did, you'd know that it works with SMF 1.1.x, not 2.0.

blondeamon

Truly sorry lureah , i am checking on it right now.

But this on their site deters me from using it:

"JFusion is still an Alpha Software. Do Not use it on live sites! Please read the FAQs and Documentation before proceeding to the Forums to post your queries."

Voyeurette

I did get the JFusion to work - however in the end decided not to use it.

I am still too unfamiliar with Joomla and the way things work.

I ended up just putting a link to my SMF that opens in a new window...   boo hoo if the user has to enter their name and password again.

Is there a way to have the SMF open without displaying all the header info when it opens within my Joomla page?    ( but retains it when in a separate page? )    <<< probably a separate issue...

Good luck Blondeamon !

blondeamon

I installed joomla with wrapped smf inside of it with dual login and all of this using JFusion. I only login at joomla and it logs smf automatically,its a very good tool.

Advertisement: