Advertisement:

Author Topic: SimplePortal  (Read 1518301 times)

Offline dodos26

• Semi-Newbie
Re: SimplePortal
« Reply #5500 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
Hey I use smf utf8 and see this bug in shoutbox:

Offline Stirius

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5501 on: February 19, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »
Ok, so I am not the only one. I tried to check the database. If I change the text directly in the database, where utf-8 is correctly set up, everything shows fine. But as we can see, using different letters right now is not correctly inserted into the database. Something is blocking it. Some letters are completely denied and nothing is shown, some letters are changed to those symbols...

Offline Chen Zhen

• Sophist Member
  • If you're going through hell, keep going!
    • Underdog-01 on GitHub
    • WebDev.ca
« Reply #5502 on: February 19, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »
I was able to duplicate the issue & fix it.
It involves database collation & charset changes.
I will give you some instruction, please follow what I say precisely.

• BACKUP your entire database. This will be necessary to keep your website data if something goes wrong with the process.
  • Enter your forum Admin section & navigate to: Forum Maintenance -> Database -> Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters -> Run Task Now
  • Choose UTF-8 and commence the process
  • Download the following package from this link (click where it says Download): https://web-develop.ca/index.php?action=downloads;area=stable_smf_utilities;file=36
  • Install the package on your forum
  • Enter your forum Admin section & navigate to: Forum Maintenance ->Database Collations
  • Use the drop-down to select either one of these collations: utf8-general-ci or utf8-unicode-ci   ....  make sure NOT to choose utf8mb4
  • Press the "Save" button at the bottom
  • Be patient & wait for the process to adjust your database

It should work after that.
You also have the option of using "Convert VARCHAR and TEXT to UTF8" if you want to convert things already in the database.
Although this process may take a long time for large databases.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev
Simple Portal Support

Request politely & demand nothing.

Offline dodos26

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5503 on: Yesterday at 03:13:43 AM »
I try but I see error:
Hacking attempt...

Offline Stirius

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5504 on: Yesterday at 05:38:41 AM »
No, it doesn't work. We have our database in utf-8-czech-ci. Using the package with utf-general-ci or whatever does nothing. Converting VARCHAR to UTF-8 only completely changes czech chars to wrong ones. So this procedure is not working...

The problem is not with the database, that is correct. But most probably the connection and correctly added entries from the shoutbox. Just this one is making issues, forum is absolutely fine.

Offline dodos26

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5505 on: Yesterday at 06:16:35 AM »
The problem is that shoubox encodes characters by itself with any function, but when we use utf8 it doesn't decode it. The problem is in the code.
I don't remember what function it was but I found an entry somewhere in Google that it was coded by a function.

Offline Stirius

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5506 on: Yesterday at 07:11:51 AM »
Well, it was working earlier with lower version of smf and lower version of the simple portal. So the problem is there, in the update and a wrong code in one of them.

Offline dodos26

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5507 on: Today at 11:07:21 AM »
have any ideas?

Offline Stirius

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5508 on: Today at 11:35:37 AM »
I am not a programmer so I hope that the creator here will come up with the solution, update, fix...