News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccraciun

Thank you IchBin™. It works.

karbaciun

hi

tinyportal or simple portal are beter? why?

IchBin™

Depends on what you think "makes something better".  Does more features mean better? Does support for the mod mean its better? What specifically are you asking is better? You'll get a biased opinion for the most part I think. Especially when asking in the TinyPortal mod topic. :) I've been involved with TP for too long to think anything else is better. :D
IchBin™        TinyPortal

hellboy78

I use SMF 118 , blacktothefuture themes, and few mods.

istalling Tiny Portal involves do something manually?

wvanfleet

I have SMF and installed TP, but other than seeing some items under a TP section to the left of my forum, I can't seem to see any evidence that TP has added anything.  More specifically, I thought that it would provide me with a front page that would be what people would get to first, and from which they could get to the forum.  I can't seem to make that happen.  I am not very knowledgeable.  Would appreciate any help.  Thanks!

hellboy78

how to add an html frontpage and have a new link for forum board?

wvanfleet

I posted this too soon.  I am now starting to have success, and I think I will be okay.  Thank you very much.

Skhilled

Quote from: hellboy78 on March 26, 2009, 06:03:03 AM

Usually, it does not and should install without a problem. This also depends on your forum setup and server configuration. You'll also want to make sure any themes you use are created specifically for Tinyportal.

Quote from: hellboy78 on March 26, 2009, 12:56:10 PM

You'll have to create your html frontpage with an article and set it to be used on the frontpage. Then change settings to view frontpage articles only.

To have a link to your forum board, just include a link to it on your html frontpage. The link would be http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?action=forum

willerby

Any news on 2.0 RC1 version?
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

hellboy78

Quote from: Skhilled on March 26, 2009, 04:57:55 PM
Quote from: hellboy78 on March 26, 2009, 06:03:03 AM

Usually, it does not and should install without a problem. This also depends on your forum setup and server configuration. You'll also want to make sure any themes you use are created specifically for Tinyportal.

Quote from: hellboy78 on March 26, 2009, 12:56:10 PM

You'll have to create your html frontpage with an article and set it to be used on the frontpage. Then change settings to view frontpage articles only.

To have a link to your forum board, just include a link to it on your html frontpage. The link would be http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?action=forum

thank you

what I need now is a Forum Button into this place, so my members can pass to forum easly

Skhilled

Quote from: willerby on March 26, 2009, 06:31:26 PM
Any news on 2.0 RC1 version?

TP2 for SMF RC1 has just started testing. It will be some time before it is available...probably not until SMF 2 goes gold but don't quote me on that. Anything can happen and it's up to Bloc do decide when it's ready. ;)

Quote from: hellboy78 on March 27, 2009, 05:59:27 AM
thank you

what I need now is a Forum Button into this place, so my members can pass to forum easly

That depends on your theme. If it is one of Bloc's or Tinyportalmedia's themes check in the theme's settings to see if you can add it there. If not, you'll have to edit the index.template.php for your theme to add the button. Take a look at how the default's code is and copy that, if you can.

You can also create a menu block and add links to it. This is the easiest way cause you will never again have to edit your themes to make any links show. You can also use that type of block for any mod that has a link like SMF Arcade, a blog, a chat room, etc. You would just use the same type of url as I've previously posted in a menu block. :)

karbaciun

Quote from: IchBin™ on March 24, 2009, 03:06:04 PM
Depends on what you think "makes something better".  Does more features mean better? Does support for the mod mean its better? What specifically are you asking is better? You'll get a biased opinion for the most part I think. Especially when asking in the TinyPortal mod topic. :) I've been involved with TP for too long to think anything else is better. :D

tnx but

my question  was for all, and everybody that work with tp and simpleportal and know which is beter, (no publisher mod) ;)
this question publish in both topic mod of TP and simpleportal for understand beter. ;)

now, everybody working with 2 mod please help me,with a view to : powering, compatibility, and supporting,.. :-*

ccraciun

@karbaciun: why don't you try both of them and see what suite you best? that's what i'm doing right now and i'm sure it's best thing to do. ;)

Skhilled

I agree. It boils down to what works best for you.

karbaciun

Quote from: ccraciun on March 31, 2009, 01:46:08 PM
@karbaciun: why don't you try both of them and see what suite you best? that's what i'm doing right now and i'm sure it's best thing to do. ;)

good, but this try need long time and I want to use of experiences of other person in this subject.

tnx for anything

Skhilled

I suggest that you open another topic in a board where people who use other portals are more likely to see it. Since this is for TP "support" only I doubt it people who use other portals will visit here a lot. You'll probably get more variety of responses in the Chit Chat board.

Vampy

I have a what will probably be a completely noob question but....

Is it possible to integrate an entire existing site containing lots of things and not just a forum into TP so that the theme across the whole site is consistent?

If you're wondering what I mean here is my site www.purplehell.com currently using an adapted "Amber" theme by bloc, I had to manually write the theme into each page and the CSS file to keep the site consistent. I want to be able to change the theme and not have to rewrite every page and/or the CSS file on the site every time - will I be able to integrate this into TP rewriting the pages only once or will I have to go with another complete CMS with a bridge to SMF?

bloc

Vampy, I see your need, but what you ask is something that other CMS's do better: include SMF rather than work with it. Thats the main reason I started TP - to get away from the "including" which never worked theme-wise and ran two big scripts at the same time :P TP runs inside SMF, use same templates and makes it easier on the server. The need to use different folders is then not an issue even, as you can just stick SMF in root and TP will provide "pages" and "categories" through the callings. If you need it to be SEO, use the SEO option of SMF and TP links will look better.

You need to consider if you really need "folders" in the path though. If you do, then TP might be the wrong choice of Portal/CMS.

Vampy

Thanks for getting back to me Bloc - I have a while to think, as I'm waiting until I go live with 2.0 before I consider anything and TP isn't ready for 2.0 yet.

The reason I need to keep things, especially the riddle tools, in a separate folder is because of the scripts etc. these cannot be integrated into SMF,  I don't think.... My other option is pure CSS keeping the theme/design simple as I know the same problem exists regarding the scripts and other CMS's

OR and here's my bugbear :P - have different themes on the main site and the forum

bloc

Different themes can be done - sort of - with TP. One option is to simply set the article(s) preferred theme to another than the default for forum -  or set default theme to one theme, then select another theme for all the boards.

If you have scripts then you could make PHP articles in TP, place your scripts into a folder right under the forum(it doesn't matter where really) then include/require them into the articles. It depends on the script of course, but most times it works fine. It would then show as a page within TP/SMF, even if your scripts is actually somewhere else.

Advertisement: