News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.Bourne

We decided to uninstall this MOD after about 2 months. Our decision doesn't have anything to do with the quality of this MOD. Although we switched to SimplePortal MOD, that one got uninstalled after only a few hours due to a few issues, ie, not compatible with different browsers out there .....

However, as I mentioned this on the other thread and as a general suggestion, which in fact applies to the majority of MODs out there, please .... PLEASE ... allow a complete cleanup after uninstalling your MODS. Considering the size of MySQL databases, even 1 MB data is too much when the a particular MOD is no longer installed. Thanks for your attention.

bloc

Quote from: R.Bourne on April 12, 2009, 11:36:30 PM
We decided to uninstall this MOD after about 2 months. Our decision doesn't have anything to do with the quality of this MOD. Although we switched to SimplePortal MOD, that one got uninstalled after only a few hours due to a few issues, ie, not compatible with different browsers out there .....

However, as I mentioned this on the other thread and as a general suggestion, which in fact applies to the majority of MODs out there, please .... PLEASE ... allow a complete cleanup after uninstalling your MODS. Considering the size of MySQL databases, even 1 MB data is too much when the a particular MOD is no longer installed. Thanks for your attention.

The amount of requests when early TP versions removed its data, was so much that we opted to keep the data when you un-installed it. Especially when people upgraded from one beta version to another, they tend to un-install if they had many other mods, thus would also remove the vital TP data! Sadly many mods collide and make updates harder, so the need to revive the TP data is very important.

However, the database data is kept fairly collected so its just a question of removing 6-7 xxx_tp_yyyy tables, that should not be too hard to remove manually. As for uploaded files, removing the tp-files, tp-images and tp-downloads should quickly fix that.

R.Bourne

Thanks Bloc. Yes, I am aware that your MOD is beta ... and well .... BETA means BETA! LOL ;)

But, anyway thanks for your time and reply.

P.S. We are in love with all your themes, BTW :D

TheListener

Tried to install tinyportal on 1.1.8

We had 4 fails so decided against it.

Was willing to give the mod a chance.  :(

R.Bourne

Quote from: TheListener on April 18, 2009, 10:00:27 AM

If you are really interested to keep it, I'd suggest you check out their web sites for an excellent step-by-step installation. I remember we had a few failures, however, in less than a few min, after reviewing their site, all problems resolved.

http://docs.tinyportal.net/index.php?board=8.0;sort=subject

The portal itself has so many features and it's really cool. Their internal support forum does a good job of answering user's questions.

Good luck

IchBin™

Quote from: TheListener on April 18, 2009, 10:00:27 AM

Not something I usually do, but if you're desperate enough you can proceed with the install. Then manually make the changes to the files that it failed on that TinyPortal requires. The changes, generally are not that complex. Of course, you should make a backup before doing anything to your forum in case you need to roll back and restore. :)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

TheListener

The problems we have are not knowing how or where to manually install.

R.Bourne

Quote from: TheListener on April 19, 2009, 02:07:53 AM
The problems we have are not knowing how or where to manually install.

It is already documented in the link that I posted in my previous response. In fact, per their instruction, it's OK to proceed with the installation and update the failed files manually right after.

Vampy

Quote from: Bloc on April 12, 2009, 06:10:02 AM
Different themes can be done - sort of - with TP. One option is to simply set the article(s) preferred theme to another than the default for forum -  or set default theme to one theme, then select another theme for all the boards.

If you have scripts then you could make PHP articles in TP, place your scripts into a folder right under the forum(it doesn't matter where really) then include/require them into the articles. It depends on the script of course, but most times it works fine. It would then show as a page within TP/SMF, even if your scripts is actually somewhere else.

I have lots of different scripts depending on the tool required, from perl (In cgi-bin) through java to javascript and so on, most of which are kept in their own folders for neatness. As I have no idea how to even start integrating them into articles I think I have a lot of reading to do before I could even attempt it :P

Quick question though - would this then require SMF to be installed into root instead of a sub folder as it is now?

IchBin™

Depends on what you want. If you want TP to be your landing page, then yes SMF has to be in the root folder because TP is only a mod for SMF.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Vampy

Hmm then it won't work for me :( - I need the sub-domains and cgi-bin to stay in root along with several other things :(

vestradeus

I skimmed over the last few pages, saw nothing relating to my woes, so here I go.

I've installed with no issues, learned to manage my blocks and al that jazz, got things looking good and wrote a couple articles, which worked great for me...the admin.

However, in my goal to farm out the hard work to my peoples (writing the future articles) it seems they can only gain the ability to submit one if I give permissions to manages articles and categories as well - and that's a bit more power then I want to be handing out. Is there some setting I've somehow missed that allows people to submit and article without the permissions to manage all of them?

bloc

Yes, once you give them permission to "submit BBC" or "submit HTML" ( but not "manage articles") - then they get a "submit an article" link inside the userinfo type of block. They can use that to send in articles without access to all others.

kingkingston

Quote from: vestradeus on April 30, 2009, 07:44:02 AM
I skimmed over the last few pages, saw nothing relating to my woes, so here I go.

I've installed with no issues, learned to manage my blocks and al that jazz, got things looking good and wrote a couple articles, which worked great for me...the admin.

However, in my goal to farm out the hard work to my peoples (writing the future articles) it seems they can only gain the ability to submit one if I give permissions to manages articles and categories as well - and that's a bit more power then I want to be handing out. Is there some setting I've somehow missed that allows people to submit and article without the permissions to manage all of them?
You could just use the articles mod

bloc

UPDATE

We are happy to announce the release of TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 for SMF 1.1.x where many bugs from the previous beta have been fixed. The main focus was getting rid of errors, in order to make the operation of TP better.

From the changelog:

- Editor was cleaning up inline styles and tag attributes. Fixed.
- HTML code was not converted back from entities.Fixed.
- Layout B was off in the calculations.
- Permission check for uploading files trapped the check for submitting articles.
- Saving article titles with single quotes caused errors in saving global_tags.
- rating downloads were allowed for guests.fixed.
- Moved selection of themes to theme-block-type.
- Errors in creating topics when uploading from DL manager.
- DL manager root categories did not follow custom sorting order.
- Added settings to change the type of wysiwyg editor for Downloads.
- Added option to turn block on and off in the block editing screen.
- Sitemap items were cleared out when custom menus changed.
- Showing linktree option for articles fetched wrong variable.
- CSS errors for IE6 in DL manager frontpage.
- TP assumed tp_news permission on non-admins, causing saving to fail.
- Print article rendered BBC articles wrong.
- BBC articles did not convert entities.
- Articles were not following options for frame/title/none visibility settings.
- Added taglinks in forum as well, adjustments on layout.
- Child categories were hidden if parent category was empty of articles. TP Admin.
- RSS block did not interpret image tag in RSS feeds properly.
- Wrong logic in frontpanel display routine.
- Printing PHP articles wasn't working.
- cleaned up the article layouts.
- posting screen preview hung because of added TP layers.
- textarea/form tags broke TP admin form tags.
- A extraneous comma was casing problems in IE when Mootools scrolling of shouts were selected.
- Added back old scroller code for Shoutbox.
- Removed the "more" smilies when in Post screen.
- Article array wasn't filled for main section of blocks.
- padding differences between panels corrected.
- Create new tags was not working from editing articles.
- Category of single page was not set, making it show layout options from frontpage instead.

To update from earlier versions or install fresh, simply upload the package and run it. In case you need to install manually, follow the instructions in the mod file for SMF files, upload files and upload+run tp_install.php to insert the database tables.

- You can also update your forum through the package manager, by adding the TP server in the list of servers there. Once added, you will see the 2 latest betas which you can download and install. The server adress to use is: http://www.tinyportal.net/tpmods.

ccraciun

Great news!

I'm looking forward to test it; i observe "padding differences between panels corrected" - that stopped me from further tests, i'm glad to hear that it was solved!

Many thanks for your work!

babjusi

fdLP.

Hello , i do use TP at 1.1.9 , but my custom membergroups cant see the portal. Normal members can. why that happens?

Gaming-Devs.com | New Programming Forum

fdLP.

Bump .. also from the time i added it , I cant quote anything.

Gaming-Devs.com | New Programming Forum

bloc

Do you have a link? Normally SMF would operate as usual after TP is installed, but every block and article category needs to have permissions set for the membergroups that should view it. Like boards really.

Why you can't quote i can't say, do you use a custom theme?

Advertisement: