News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@rjen

Quote from: makuta_ii on May 13, 2020, 06:28:38 AM
2. The button collapse of the panels (looks like plus or minus) causes an error in Chrome:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null
    at togglepanel (index.php? action = forum: 100)
    at HTMLAnchorElement.onclick (index.php? action = forum: 233)

The same error occurs on the forum tinyportal.net/index.php?action=forum
Is there anything to do with this?

Looking for this, where exactly do you get this error? Probably by inspecting the webpage, put I cannot find it...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

makuta_ii

Quote from: @rjen on May 15, 2020, 02:02:42 PM
Looking for this, where exactly do you get this error? Probably by inspecting the webpage, put I cannot find it...
See screen)

Maxxim

I tried googling, but the query is a bit difficult to formulate, and the search results I got were from many years ago, so I have to ask.

Is there (still) no way to run TinyPortal outside of the forum directory?
Similar to those who asked before me, my forum is at hxxp:mysite.com/forum/ [nonactive] , and I'd very much like the portal home page to show at hxxp:mysite.com [nonactive]

Is there an elegant solution for that or have I no other choice but to move the forum to the root directory of my website and run repair_settings.php ?

lurkalot

Quote from: Maxxim on May 23, 2020, 09:50:59 AM
I tried googling, but the query is a bit difficult to formulate, and the search results I got were from many years ago, so I have to ask.

Is there (still) no way to run TinyPortal outside of the forum directory?
Similar to those who asked before me, my forum is at mysite.com/forum/ , and I'd very much like the portal home page to show at mysite.com

Is there an elegant solution for that or have I no other choice but to move the forum to the root directory of my website and run repair_settings.php ?

You can run the TP index page as Standalone.  Tino wrote some info in our resource boards on how to do so.  https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=36058.0

I haven't used it myself, so if you need ay assistance with it please drop in over at tinyportal.net and ask.   ;)

Maxxim

Thank you very much @lurkalot, that solution worked!
It produced a PHP warning, however.
Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, no array or string given in <full path to www root>\index.php on line 15
As you suggested, I'll register and ask for assistance at hxxp:tinyportal.net [nonactive].

cornflakes

Hi!  I'm new to SMF forums and just getting my feet wet with this stuff.
I love the options that TinyPortal offers and it's exactly what I was looking for.

I have one question about my index board layout.  I have it so that there is a small
preview of the topic along with a photo.   The problem is the text doesn't wrap around
the photo (like you see in newspapers to save space and minimize all the empty
space).  The text just starts underneath the photo but when I look at my home page
it looks like a waste of space as there are huge blank areas next to the photo.

Is there a way to wrap the text so that I can fill in the empty spaces?  Here is
a sample screenshot of what I mean and how it looks right now without text wrap:

lurkalot

Quote from: cornflakes on May 26, 2020, 10:27:01 PM
Hi!  I'm new to SMF forums and just getting my feet wet with this stuff.
I love the options that TinyPortal offers and it's exactly what I was looking for.

I have one question about my index board layout.  I have it so that there is a small
preview of the topic along with a photo.   The problem is the text doesn't wrap around
the photo (like you see in newspapers to save space and minimize all the empty
space).  The text just starts underneath the photo but when I look at my home page
it looks like a waste of space as there are huge blank areas next to the photo.

Is there a way to wrap the text so that I can fill in the empty spaces?  Here is
a sample screenshot of what I mean and how it looks right now without text wrap:

Glad you like TP, thanks for giving it a go.  ;)

I'm assuming your image in the post is displaying in the same way, and that's why it's mimicking the output on the front page preview. If you were to float that image to the left in the actual topic then I'm pretty sure it would do the same in the preview.   I just tried this to check, albeit in SMF 2.1 which has the float left and right bbc built into the editor. Screenshots below.

I think there's a float image mod somewhere for SMF 2.0 somewhere on the mods site. This one perhaps, https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2305

cornflakes

Glad you like TP, thanks for giving it a go.  ;)

I'm assuming your image in the post is displaying in the same way, and that's why it's mimicking the output on the front page preview. If you were to float that image to the left in the actual topic then I'm pretty sure it would do the same in the preview.   I just tried this to check, albeit in SMF 2.1 which has the float left and right bbc built into the editor. Screenshots below.

I think there's a float image mod somewhere for SMF 2.0 somewhere on the mods site. This one perhaps, https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2305

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see if I can get it to work.  Btw, I just joined a couple days ago and was SMF 2.1 available?  If that's a newer and better version of my current version SMF 2.0.17 then how can I upgrade to SMF 2.1?  Should I have just downloaded that from the beginning (unless it was just updated a day ago?). 

UPDATE: thanks, I got the text wrapping to work with that mod package

lurkalot

Quote from: cornflakes on May 27, 2020, 08:30:06 AM

UPDATE: thanks, I got the text wrapping to work with that mod package

Glad that worked out ok. ;)

Quote from: cornflakes on May 27, 2020, 08:30:06 AM

Btw, I just joined a couple days ago and was SMF 2.1 available?  If that's a newer and better version of my current version SMF 2.0.17 then how can I upgrade to SMF 2.1?  Should I have just downloaded that from the beginning (unless it was just updated a day ago?). 

Regarding SMF 2.1 it's currently in RC status, and not actually recommended for use on production sites atm.  Nothing wrong with trying it out on a test site though.  ;)

makuta_ii

Hi.
Now:
hxxp:mysite.com/index.php [nonactive] - open a portal.
hxxp:mysite.com/index.php?action=forum [nonactive] open a forum.

Is it possible to configure tiniporal so that the link
hxxp:mysite.com/index.php [nonactive] open the forum,
and (as example):
hxxp:mysite.com/index.php?action=portal [nonactive] or hxxp:mysite.com/portal [nonactive] - open portal page?

If enable the option "Go directly to forum index" in frontpage settings, is it possible  somehow open the frontpage?

Thank.

@rjen

No clue what you are asking.   :-\

Is the current forum and portal accessible?
Can you plase ehare a link? Maybe that way I understand what you want to achieve...

MF30

TinyPortal works with PHP 7.3?

lurkalot

Quote from: MF30 on May 28, 2020, 02:23:29 PM
TinyPortal works with PHP 7.3?

Yes PHP 7.3 and should be compatible up to PHP 7.4

cornflakes

Does anyone know what mod or theme this is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2cECgExSc&lc=UgyRHi4UMtkzaAPz3hl4AaABAg.997Eqpz5ooB99LOmF3pwPy [nofollow]

I thought it might be a TinyPortal but I don't think it's exactly the same?

Arantor

Looks like it's custom work by the creator, but he does a lot of custom dev so not surprising.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: cornflakes on June 01, 2020, 10:09:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2cECgExSc&lc=UgyRHi4UMtkzaAPz3hl4AaABAg.997Eqpz5ooB99LOmF3pwPy

The video links to their website: https://www.bordeglobal.com/design-smf.php
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

jbridges87

Is it possible to use Tiny Portal as your ad interface?

I was playing around with Tiny Portal, and got the idea that maybe there's a way to stick the provided code that advertisers give you, right into TinyPortal Panel Blocks?
There is the option for javascript afterall.

Has anyone used Tiny Portal in this way, and been happy with the result?
Come by and check out my sports forum, here.
Running SMF v2.0.17

cornflakes

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 01, 2020, 10:29:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2cECgExSc&lc=UgyRHi4UMtkzaAPz3hl4AaABAg.997Eqpz5ooB99LOmF3pwPy [nofollow]

The video links to their website: https://www.bordeglobal.com/design-smf.php [nofollow]

Yes, I checked their website and all their templates but none of them were the template in the video that I like.
I like the options of having all those previews and boxes to show different articles, recent posts, a preview of the discussions
and photos ....looks really engaging!

lurkalot

Quote from: jbridges87 on June 02, 2020, 12:30:44 AM
Is it possible to use Tiny Portal as your ad interface?

I was playing around with Tiny Portal, and got the idea that maybe there's a way to stick the provided code that advertisers give you, right into TinyPortal Panel Blocks?
There is the option for javascript afterall.

Has anyone used Tiny Portal in this way, and been happy with the result?

I run all my adsense code in TP blocks for example, and yes it works ok.    ;) 

Just turn off all the visual stuff from the blocks so nothing shows.

Use
Do not use title/frame styles
Do not allow block to collapse

Make sure it's viewable to Guests.
Make sure you have it displayed on all desired pages.

@rjen

Quote from: cornflakes on June 02, 2020, 01:45:44 AM
Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 01, 2020, 10:29:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2cECgExSc&lc=UgyRHi4UMtkzaAPz3hl4AaABAg.997Eqpz5ooB99LOmF3pwPy

The video links to their website: https://www.bordeglobal.com/design-smf.php

Yes, I checked their website and all their templates but none of them were the template in the video that I like.
I like the options of having all those previews and boxes to show different articles, recent posts, a preview of the discussions
and photos ....looks really engaging!

You are right: that is not the same as TinyPortal.

TinyPortal is a Mod that adds blocks and pages to your existing theme. It is not a theme as such!
The video is showing a custom Theme, which is built in such a way that it also has some blocks and area's that are responsive, but it is not a portal Mod as such.

Now, If you can code a bit and manage css you may be able to built something that resembles the video in a TinyPortal site, but that's not out of the box: you will have to put effort into that...

Advertisement: