News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@rjen

It's a css change: you have to delete the browser cache first...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

jbridges87

Alright, I just tested with a second article, and it's working good now.

Thanks folks!
Come by and check out my sports forum, here.
Running SMF v2.0.17

jbridges87

Okay, so something just came up. and I'm not sure if it's related or not.

After making the change, the URL links are showing up ok, but using the horizontal rule, the spacing randomly just creates major gaps in between sentences/paragraphs.
I also just received a Google warning notification stating a forum board is not mobile friendly. The board doesn't even have any content, and none of the other boards popped up on the list, so I don't know what's up with that?

I attached a picture of the notification. Any ideas?
Running SMF v2.0.17

Antechinus

At a guess I'd say it's related to your meta tags. That Google screenshot looks like it's not working. I know some meta tags don't work if you stick to much stuff in front of them, but don't know offhand if the viewport tag is one of them. You have two instances of it, anyway, and you should only have one.

Suggestion for first trial: put all your meta tags at the start of the head section rather than strewn throughout it. This should mean they all work, and will also mean you can easily spot when you've doubled up on one by mistake.

PS: And JFCOAB, how many stylesheets and scripts does it take to run one web page? There are millions of them.

@rjen

Quote from: jbridges87 on June 27, 2020, 11:36:17 PM

After making the change, the URL links are showing up ok, but using the horizontal rule, the spacing randomly just creates major gaps in between sentences/paragraphs.

Pretty sure this is unrelated, but just to be sure: link to the article where it happens?

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on June 28, 2020, 02:38:13 AM
Quote from: jbridges87 on June 27, 2020, 11:36:17 PM

Pretty sure this is unrelated, but just to be sure: link to the article where it happens?

I agree.  It appears to fail the mobile friendly test on any page, including forum index.  https://crown-sports.com/index.php?action=forum

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

Also, content being blocked because of mixed content.   "Blocked loading mixed active content "http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/opensans/v6/cJZKeOuBrn4kERxqtaUH3T8E0i7KZn-EPnyo3HZu7kw.woff"

Due I think to the the insecure call in bootstrap.css

lurkalot

The TinyPortal Team is pleased to announce the release of TinyPortal 1.6.7

Note: You must uninstall any previous version of TinyPortal before you can install TP 1.6.7 for SMF2.0.x or SMF2.1. Make a backup of all your SMF and TP files before you uninstall.

Changelog;
This release includes the following fixes:

Relevant to 2.0 and 2.1:
- fixed javascript errors: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null
- fixed who's online showing "Viewing TPmod" for shoutbox pages
- fixes for TPstandalone
- fix for frontpage showing forum posts with attachements multiple times
- fixed select options in admin not showing options in some themes

Relevant to 2.1 only:
- fixed issue with non-admins not getting access to manage articles even when permission exists

Download: direct from the SMF Mods site, https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=97
Download: from the official support site, https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item156

Users running any TinyPortal version prior to 1.6.6 should update to at least 1.6.6 or higher for security reasons.

jbridges87

@Antechinus - I wasn't sure if positioning of the meta tags mattered or not, so I didn't want to go ahead moving anything. I viewed the page source of the board, and did notice the duplicate entry of the viewport meta, but when looking in the index.template file, there was only 1 instance showing. Not sure where the 2nd one is coming from.

@rjen - I actually went in and cleaned up all the spaces already. I'll see if it happens again on the next article I write.

@lurkalot - The screenshot in the mobile friendly test seems to have a view issue, where the content isn't filling the size of the screen. Maybe that has something to do with what Antechinus mentioned regarding the double entry of the meta=viewport. I will look around and see if I can find out where the 2nd entry may be coming from.
Running SMF v2.0.17

jbridges87

I'm going to make a separate thread for the issue, so as not to throw this discussion off course.
Running SMF v2.0.17

jbridges87

Viewing other articles on the web, I see that authors are able to place ads within the content of the post.
Is TP able to achieve this?

Also, are TP articles indexed?
I setup a query title for a few articles, and they don't appear on google. I then tried searching them on the Search Console and receive an error stating:
"Something went wrong. If the issue persists, try again in a few hours"

I'm just wondering if this is a Google problem or TP just doesn't index articles.
Running SMF v2.0.17

lurkalot

Quote from: jbridges87 on July 03, 2020, 08:04:06 PM
Viewing other articles on the web, I see that authors are able to place ads within the content of the post.
Is TP able to achieve this?

Not sure what you mean, Articles in TP are pages.  These pages you can add what you like in them, bbc, html/javascript, or php.  If you mean will TinyPortal place content within or between forum posts, then no it won't.

Quote from: jbridges87 on July 03, 2020, 08:04:06 PM

Also, are TP articles indexed?
I setup a query title for a few articles, and they don't appear on google. I then tried searching them on the Search Console and receive an error stating:
"Something went wrong. If the issue persists, try again in a few hours"

I'm just wondering if this is a Google problem or TP just doesn't index articles.

Google will index TP articles just fine.   You do need to have the linktree active on the articles or you'll probably get a breadcrumbs warning from Google.  Apart from that, yes Google will pick them up.

jbridges87

Is the linktree active by default?
I don't recall seeing that setting anywhere.

Lets say I write an html article in TP, and want to place ads within the article.
Can this be done?
Running SMF v2.0.17

lurkalot

jbridges87,

Ads: yes you can, it's just like placing them anywhere else.

Linktree: If you edit an article, you'll see one of the settings when you scroll down to viewing options, "Display linktree"

jbridges87

Right now I just have an adcode within a TP block, so unless you can place blocks inside individual articles, within the content, then I'm not sure how to achieve this.

I see the linktree is turned on by default. So that shouldn't be an issue.
Running SMF v2.0.17

lurkalot

Quote from: jbridges87 on July 04, 2020, 02:01:57 PM
Right now I just have an adcode within a TP block, so unless you can place blocks inside individual articles, within the content, then I'm not sure how to achieve this.

I see the linktree is turned on by default. So that shouldn't be an issue.

If it's a html type article just add the same code where you want within the content of the article, same as you would in a block.

jbridges87

Quote from: Antechinus on February 14, 2020, 05:54:21 PM
This isn't a TP support question as such, but is something I'm idly curious about. How difficult would it be to expand block placement options, to allow blocks between posts and categories?

The reason I'm curious is that TP is already close to being a comprehensive ad management system (if used for that purpose) so it occurred to me to wonder if it could be extended with the extra placement options. Has anyone ever considered this?

Was this ever looked into, and/or is it possible?
I'm incredibly interested in this feature.
Running SMF v2.0.17

jbridges87

Running SMF v2.0.17

@rjen

Quote from: jbridges87 on July 06, 2020, 11:52:56 AM
This isn't a TP support question as such, but is something I'm idly curious about. How difficult would it be to expand block placement options, to allow blocks between posts and categories?

The reason I'm curious is that TP is already close to being a comprehensive ad management system (if used for that purpose) so it occurred to me to wonder if it could be extended with the extra placement options. Has anyone ever considered this?

Since there are no other responses I guess mine will have to do...

was it ever looked into?  > not that I am aware
is it possible? > with coding everything is possible, but there are no plans to do that in TinyPortal

jbridges87

What would it take to put this together?
I would be willing to put together a fundraiser for the feature. Although, I'm not sure how much time/effort the mod would require.

Are there any members that could handle this task, and would be willing to take it on?
Running SMF v2.0.17

lurkalot

Quote from: jbridges87 on July 06, 2020, 11:52:56 AM

It has been mentioned some time ago, though I can't find the post, at the moment, and it was never followed up.   

Your best bet when requesting features for TP is to post your ideas over at the TinyPortal support site, in the Tinyportal Feature Requests board.  As already mentioned there's not any plans on the table to add this feature atm, but never say never.

Advertisement: