News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minormike

Quote from: @rjen on October 17, 2020, 09:39:58 AM
Trying to understand what exactly lead to the error.

You created and article and set an area to display it?

How exactly did you do that:

1. As an admin or as a user with extra permissions?

2. You mention that you tries adding an article in the portal top panel

QuoteMy complete forum is borked after checking an option to display articles in the portal top block

So I assume you created the article itself just fine, but the error started when you included the article in a block? Is that a correct assessment? Articles themselves do not contain a setting where to display them....

3. Then how did you go about that: I assume you created a new block of type Article: Single or Articles in a category?

Please help narrow it down, because I cannot reproduce it...

I was on this page, forum.xxxx.xxx/index.php?action=tpadmin;sa=blocks [nofollow] , and having some trouble getting an article I'd created to show up on the forum. It was in Top Panel Blocks. For some reason the type 'Article: Single' hadn't shown my article, so on the blocks page I changed the type to 'Articles in a category' and then hit the Save icon on that line. That's when the error occurred

@rjen

Quote from: minormike on October 17, 2020, 02:16:00 PM
I was on this page, forum.xxxx.xxx/index.php?action=tpadmin;sa=blocks , and having some trouble getting an article I'd created to show up on the forum. It was in Top Panel Blocks. For some reason the type 'Article: Single' hadn't shown my article, so on the blocks page I changed the type to 'Articles in a category' and then hit the Save icon on that line. That's when the error occurred

Thanks, I managed to reproduce it with the info Lurkalot provided...
It is a bug, a rare one, and you need to do something specific to trigger it..

The error: Database error, given array of integer values is empty. (cat)
Is given if a block of type 19 - Articles in a category has an empty value in the field tp_blocks-body.

Changing a block in the block overview can do this, but it happens in rare situations where the block does not yet have a value in the body field. In the reported example it has happened because a new article block has been created without choosing the article itself: I guess you did not press 'save' on the block a second time when you created the new block, thinking the default article showing was selected.

Result: no valid selection in the article block. The article block is fine with no ID in the block field, it just shows an empty block.

But then changing to Articles in a Category does not fill the block field. The articles in a category block does NOT like the empty field.

So how to fix:

go to tp_blocks table in the database and find any block of type 19 where the body field is empty. Then either
1. set off to 1, or
2. edit that line and put a 1 in the body...

We are looking into a fix...that prevents it...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

minormike

Hey, I'm happy I managed to remember enough of what I'd done wrong, so that you guys were able to reproduce it and hopefully eradicate it in a future release! Thanks to Lurkalot and yourself for the info to fix

tinoest

Quote from: MoreBloodWine on October 17, 2020, 01:44:51 PM
Not that I need to post this, but I may be ok just doing 2.0.17 and waiting for 2.1 to become final before worrying about bringing TP completely current.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=575261.msg4071313#msg4071313

This will be my only remarks here regarding non TP stuff. But will post back in a while if I need more help regarding TP to which I haven't touched yet, but will after this.

But for now, at least until 2.1 is final which should be soon if we're on RC3.

It looks like I can still use TP 1.0.7 on SMF 2.0.17... for a short while anyway.

But at least on 2.0.17 it might still be prudent to try 1.6.8 and do 2.0 when SMF 2.1 is final.

Sure other than the version of TinyPortal you are running has known security flaws which have been patched in later releases.

Mark S

Is it safe to install Tiny Portal while still having Simple Portal installed?

I want to replace SP, but I'd like to keep it for now so I can reproduce the blocks and content in TP easier before removing SP.

Bigguy

They might both install fine but I would think it's better not to do this. If I remember I did it once, it worked but there were some underlying issues. This was awhile ago though so things may have changed.

Mark S

Thanks. "Underlying issues" is what I'm afraid of lol!

Think I'll take a whole lot of screenshots of my SP block details, delete it, and manually rebuild them in TP.

lurkalot

Quote from: Mark S on October 20, 2020, 01:05:46 PM
Thanks. "Underlying issues" is what I'm afraid of lol!

Think I'll take a whole lot of screenshots of my SP block details, delete it, and manually rebuild them in TP.

Mark, if you want access to a test site running TP so you can test your blocks, or get them ready to copy and past across, then drop me a PM, and I'll sort it for you.  ;)

Mark S

Being able to put the blocks and content somewhere else would save me a ton of time totally recreating them by hand in TP from SP screenshots!

lurkalot

Quote from: Mark S on October 20, 2020, 07:45:18 PM
Being able to put the blocks and content somewhere else would save me a ton of time totally recreating them by hand in TP from SP screenshots!

Mark  S, I have sent you a PM regarding this. ;)

PoML

Hi!

Just upgraded my forum to SMF 2.1 RC3 and TP 2.0.0.
Everything seems fine except that the articles when viewed on a smartphone suddenly are wider than the screen and cut.
The same thing happens in Chrome when I view the page using the developer tools to set size of screen to any smartphone size.
Previously, this looked perfect.

Is there a setting somewhere that is wrong, or is this a part of testing versions ending in double zeros?

See screenshot attached.

@rjen

Did you clear the browser cache?

Please try that first. If it does not help please share a link to the forum..

PoML

Quote from: @rjen on October 26, 2020, 04:48:31 PM
Did you clear the browser cache?

Please try that first. If it does not help please share a link to the forum..

I tested some more...
It seems that only logged-in users get too wide articles - articles available to guests seems to behave better...
Forum address is : https://smbergen.org/medlemmer/forum

PS: tested it also with the "Potato" theme, and that had similar results.

@rjen

I just registered and visit your forum from my iPhone : articles fit on screen

@rjen

First of all, there's something funny with the Copyright showing in all your frontpage topics. I am pretty sure that has something to do with the Norwegian language pack, because when I switch to English it's OK

Secondly I notice a scroll bar appearing in your forum-policy

I think the cause is the use of the <pre > tags in your articles.

QuoteText in a <pre > element is displayed in a fixed-width font, and the text preserves both spaces and line breaks. The text will be displayed exactly as written in the HTML source code.

That will probably cause the issue...

Now, to find exactly why that did work before I will need to see the full / exact body text of an article that has this.
Given the content of your forum I have deleted my account again, and I am not interested to access your site.

Not sure how to analyze this further...

PoML

Quote from: @rjen on October 27, 2020, 02:55:22 AM
First of all, there's something funny with the Copyright showing in all your frontpage topics. I am pretty sure that has something to do with the Norwegian language pack, because when I switch to English it's OK

Secondly I notice a scroll bar appearing in your forum-policy

I think the cause is the use of the <pre > tags in your articles.
[...]Not sure how to analyze this further...

Thanks - that was very helpful.
I believe I can investigate from here.

PoML

Quick update:

There were two different issues in play here - both may be helpful for others to know about:

1) A user have used MS Word to write posts in, and then copy-pasted the text into SMF.  Result: lots of codes that the forum do not like together with the CSS that TinyPortal uses.

2) The Copyright language string $forum_copyright has a different format in RC3. That change was not captured in any of my language files, resulting in an overflow.  Copy of the $forum_copyright from the main index file into all supported languages did the trick.

@rjen

Thanks PoML,

As for copying and pasting from Word: that is something that indeed can cause issues: pretty hard to prevent. I am curious why that did not give the same issues in previous versions though...

As for the copyright: we 'append' the TP copyright to the SMF string. If that (SMF) string has changed that needs our attention too, thanks for reporting it.

Then a request: I see that you have created your own translation to Norwegian for the TinyPortal language files. Would you be willing to share those with other users via the TinyPortal support site?

PoML

Quote from: @rjen on October 29, 2020, 02:48:31 AM
Then a request: I see that you have created your own translation to Norwegian for the TinyPortal language files. Would you be willing to share those with other users via the TinyPortal support site?

Sure - there are some duplicates in there, as you have done a thorough clean-up since the last version.
I have extended the language strings that I found without removing much, so it is not a translation that I am 100% sure will not have some glitches.

I have uploaded the files here :  https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=31219.msg300449#msg300449
(don't be scared by the subject - it seems that the thread on norwegian has been subject to several conversions of character set on your site between ISO8859 and UTF8 over the years since people requested norwegian the first time  :-D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

@PoML - Just wanted to mention, publishing what looks like an email address on a publicly viewable board might not be the best of ideas. If you want, we can edit it out - just report the post and ask for it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: