News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

TinyPortal

Started by lurkalot, February 12, 2005, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@rjen

The post you are responding to deals with adding menu options using another mod from TP. The fact that you are linking to an article page does not make it a TP discussion.

You can add top level menu buttons using the TP menu manager... (just a thought)
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Kindred

Quote from: Dr Web on November 30, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
Quote from: @rjen on November 30, 2021, 12:06:10 PMThis has nothing to do with TinyPortal, perhaps post in correct mod support thread?

Are you sure? Read it again, and the post I am responding to. Maybe you find something to do with TP.

Seriously dude, lose the attitude.

Your issue is that you are missingthe IMAGE/iconfor the articles menu item,  therefore your browser displays the alt text.
 Not a tinyportal issue.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shadav

Quote from: @rjen on November 30, 2021, 01:10:47 PMThe post you are responding to deals with adding menu options using another mod from TP. The fact that you are linking to an article page does not make it a TP discussion.

You can add top level menu buttons using the TP menu manager... (just a thought)
sorry that is partly my fault for talking about how I, myself, set up items from tp into my menu

I didn't know you could do that through tp, I'll have to play some more with that one
lol tp still confuses me a bit

Quote from: Dr Web on November 30, 2021, 11:47:38 AMI followed your instructions, but for some reason I have a button with the word Articles duplicated. Please see the menun_button attachment.

The category on TP is Articles, and the menu button label on the Custom Buttons Mod is also Articles.

Then I tried to install the Menu Order Mod, and after uploading the zip file to the Packages folder, I don't have the Install link in the Packages Manager. Please see the no_install_link attachment.

Any idea why these things are happening?

Thanks a lot. 

as Kindred pointed out you are missing the icon so it's throwing out the image alt tag instead of the image, that would be due to some other mod probably that you installed and you'd need to ask in their support thread how to fix that

as well as to ask in the menu order mods support thread of why it broke package manager

Quote from: Dr Web on November 30, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
Quote from: @rjen on November 30, 2021, 12:06:10 PMThis has nothing to do with TinyPortal, perhaps post in correct mod support thread?

Are you sure? Read it again, and the post I am responding to. Maybe you find something to do with TP.

sorry but yes they are correct, I posted about 2 different mods that have nothing to do with tp support, they were suggestions on how I set up my menu to add tp items to it
that said if the mods gave you issues you should post those issues into those mods support threads as they are not part of the tp mod, I only gave suggestions on how I went about setting up my menu to use tp items using other mods
apparently you can do this through tp without those mods, which I did not know, I'm still kind of figuring out tp and all that it can do myself

@rjen

Dave J

I have just found this portal and I think it's great, so many back of house settings that makes it for me. Thank you
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

User Andrey

Hello!

Could you please explain how to show user submitted articles in some block automatically w/o the need to manually assign them to some category by admin? I need to allow users to post an article and immediately see it in some block.

I have selected 'Article submissions and edits without approval' in Permissions, but new articles are still invisible and collected in Uncategorized category.

Thanks.

Mike66

Been experimenting with TinyPortal tonight.

Great mod thanks!  :)

Cheers
Mike

Mike66

Can TinyPortal do pages?
It would be great if the Front Page could simply be a page, linked to from the menu.

@rjen

What exactly do you mean by that ?

The Frontpage in TP is a page , and it gets its own menu option by default ...

Dave J

I think what Mike is asking for is like one of the other portals has the option to be set as a standalone page. Once it's all set up you link to it by clicking on the 'Home' button that the portal installed, this can obviously be called something else via template changes.

It means that anyone who visits the site will go direct to the forum and not the portal page but can click on the button to go there.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Mike66

Yes, that's it Dave.

I have my TinyPortal Frontpage set up to display 'Forum-topics and articles - sorted on date', and I have enabled 'Allow full display of forum-topics on the frontpage', with 'Display forum-topics on frontpage from' - set to one of my boards.

This produces a really nice timeline style Frontpage of recent topics from that board  8)

I would like anyone that visits the site to go direct to the forum and not the Frontpage/Portal, but for them to be able to access the Frontpage/Portal via a button in the main menu. ( I already have the button in place )

Currently, we have the option to set TinyPortal to 'Go directly to forum index', but when we select that option we lose the Frontpage/Portal.

Cheers
Mike

@rjen

I see what you mean. Not sure if that is intentional tbh...

Mike66

Quote from: @rjen on December 18, 2021, 03:59:12 PMI see what you mean. Not sure if that is intentional tbh...

Do you think a standalone Frontpage/portal would be possible?

Or, failing that, does anybody know how to set up a block that displays the same as I currently have set up on the Frontpage?

I could then consider displaying that block below the forum.

Thanks
Mike

Mike66

Don't worry if it's a hassle - it's fine the way I have it set up  8)

Cheers
Mike

Dave J

Mike,

What you could do is request all members log in the the site with https://www.mysite.com/index.php?action=forumBy using the '/index.php?action=forum' members will always go to the forum first then they can click on the link to the portal after.

Maybe send a newsletter out to them all asking them to delete their current bookmark and once they're back on the site in the forum save the new bookmark.

Alternatively if they know what they're doing they can just edit their current bookmark and add 'action=forum' to the end of it.

Mike66

Thanks Dave

The members are finding their way round it fine, so that's not a problem.

I would simply prefer index.php to go straight to the forum and still be able to have the Frontpage/Portal as a standalone page.

Cheers
Mike

tinoest

There is a file included with the main source of TinyPortal to allow this, https://github.com/Tinyportal/TinyPortal/blob/master/TPStandalone.php

Does that not do what you are looking for?

You can name the file whatever you would like.

Mike66

Quote from: tinoest on December 19, 2021, 02:53:52 PMThere is a file included with the main source of TinyPortal to allow this, https://github.com/Tinyportal/TinyPortal/blob/master/TPStandalone.php

Does that not do what you are looking for?

You can name the file whatever you would like.

That's awesome thanks  8)

Is it just a case of naming the file and uploading it as is? Or does it require editing first? ..... Sorry, PHP is very much my weakness!

Cheers
Mike

tinoest

Should just be upload and go if it still works. You'll have to add a custom menu to point to it.

Mike66

Quote from: tinoest on December 19, 2021, 06:25:52 PMShould just be upload and go if it still works. You'll have to add a custom menu to point to it.

Thanks for that. I tried it, but got an HTTP ERROR 500.

Not to worry, I'm happy enough with my current set up.

Cheers
Mike

Advertisement: