Semi-newbie finds Icon button for "Toggle View" to be unclear

Started by l_d_allan, November 25, 2008, 09:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

Summary:
This 2.0b4 semi-newbie has repeated mistaken the icon button for "Toggle View" to be "Change Color".

Setup:

Further comments:

• I understand that this is PEBKAC on my part.
    * I am an occasional user of 2.0b4, which doesn't excuse that I have made this mistake several times.
  • I further understand that icon selection is very difficult, if not impossible, to get exactly right so there is no room for error.
  • Although I completely agree that the software is behaving correctly, my suggestion is that:
    * if there is a "use case" that is inviting end-user errors, then consider changing.
  • In the interests of not just being a critic, I would suggest an alternate button such as what the TextPad 4.73 editor uses (attached).
    * It isn't all that great, but at least it is an alternative.
    * Hmmmm ... the next version of our freeware has an icon that may be something to consider:
    * Also attached
    * The "take-away" is that icon suggests a "toggle".
  • BTW, "Toggle View" is a great feature ... WYSIWYG. I'm impressed you (or the underlying wiki) was able to implement this.
    * I had thought about submitting this capability as a suggestion, but thought it would be too hard.
    * Sorry, I digress.
2.0 semi-newbie. Rusty at bbCode tagging. Win7-64+Sp1 and IE9. Sysop of under-construction www.canprint.org
No mods installed. Huge fan of SMF, especially terrific support.

l_d_allan

Another factor is that the "Toggle View" button in 2.0b4 has the precisely same appearance as another button that is used in 1.1.7:
"Font Face"
(see attachments)

This junior author/admin of about 350 1.1.7 posts for berbible.org/forums gets confused because the 2.0b4 button with the exact same appearance has a significantly different function.

I'm not so sure anymore that this is PEBKAC on my part. This 2.0b4 semi-newbie is close to feeling nervy enough to suggest reclassifying this as a bug.  ::)

I realize that a total of less than 500 posts hardly qualifies me for this level of audaciousness. Realistically, a sum of ~350 + ~100 total posts qualify me to be no more than a "brash junior headline skimmer with 'tude".  <g>

"Consider the source" that I really don't know what I am talking about.
"Methinks thou (Lynn) dost protest too much."
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

2.0 semi-newbie. Rusty at bbCode tagging. Win7-64+Sp1 and IE9. Sysop of under-construction www.canprint.org
No mods installed. Huge fan of SMF, especially terrific support.

Rumbaar

I have to agree it's use as the same 'Font Face' icon doesn't suit it's nature.

Hopefully you're suggestion will be seen by developers and implemented.  Something totally different to suit it's nature.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: