News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to upload large attachments?

Started by awe32, November 26, 2008, 01:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awe32

I'm using linux hosting and I want to enable large files (100m) to use in the post attachment.
It seems i have a problem with my database or hosting, the "maxfilesize" in the smf setting is ok.
How can i do that?
Thanks

insanehsp

You have to change the php.ini for this - That means you have to use a a server with root access but for such big uploads, it´s always better to use CGI.
Werde zum Hörspielsprecher: Hoerspielprojekt.de
ODER
Besuche das Hörspiel-Forum: Hoertalk.de

pooya

How do we use cgi ? i too have a limit of 2mb from host.

insanehsp

You have to contact your host or you have to look in the details from your host, if he support this. Most provider have decreased cgi-options to protect for overloading.
ODER

awe32

could some please find us a solution? maybe an uploading applet or something.
thanks

insanehsp

There is no solution, if you can´t access the php.ini

So you have to go other ways: Upload files on a host like Rapidshare.com or make FTP-Accounts for your Boarduser.....
ODER

N3RVE

Quote from: insanehsp on November 26, 2008, 03:26:06 AM
So you have to go other ways: Upload files on a host like Rapidshare.com or make FTP-Accounts for your Boardusers.....

Correct, alternatively, you can pay for a dedicated plan and conviniently change php.ini settings as required since you'd be in control of a Virtual private server.

You can also be on a shared server plan and have the ability to create your own php.ini file to override whatever's in the system file. You will need to talk with your host to find out the details on how to do this. For example, on some systems, you have to put in a line (suPHP_ConfigPath) in .htaccess to tell PHP where to find php.ini.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Advertisement: