News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

RC Before xmas ?

Started by riker, November 27, 2008, 07:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riker

Have they given any indications that we could have a stable release before xmas ?

X3mE

Beta 4 has been stable for me so far :P

Anyway, I think there aren't any deadlines.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

riker

Quote from: X3mE on November 27, 2008, 08:47:20 AM
Beta 4 has been stable for me so far :P

Anyway, I think there aren't any deadlines.
RC isn't a deadline and people have been having problems with the default theme so it's not stable.  You can of course use the theme from beta3 but I don't wish to risk the mods not working.  Anyway thanks for nothing ;)

Bigguy

There is never a time line or release date. This is to ensure that the best possible product gets released with the least amount of bugs possible.

riker

Quote from: Bigguy on November 27, 2008, 11:43:22 AM
There is never a time line or release date. This is to ensure that the best possible product gets released with the least amount of bugs possible.

I'll remind you of the screwed up default templete

Bigguy

All the bugs will be solved before a final version gets released.

riker

Bugs were created in Beta4 and they must have been known about because they're visable all over the place (the theme).  Everyone who uses the beta and the default theme has been left in the lurch by SMF!

Bigguy

Hence the name beta. Beta software is going to have bugs in it. And when trying to squash those bugs that do exsist others do get created. As the process goes on less and less bugs are there. We all know this though so I fail to see where anyone has been left in the lurch by SMF.

aldo

Well SMF doesn't give time lines as stated, they don't want to say, Oh it will be out December 1st (which it won't, just saying) and it comes, and its not out, a lot of people will be mad >:(

Though it would be a nice Christmas present to have RC out :) but just watch closely.

Marcus Forsberg

Quote from: riker on November 28, 2008, 05:38:34 AM
Bugs were created in Beta4 and they must have been known about because they're visible all over the place (the theme).  Everyone who uses the beta and the default theme has been left in the lurch by SMF!

SMF 2.0 Beta 4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta#Computers-related
"Beta version, a development stage of software wherein the software application is released to an enthusiastic public for large-scale testing and bug discovery"

A beta is a beta. A beta will contain bugs.
Coding the SMF releases is not easy and not a fast job. I mean, imagine how long time some mods takes to create, and the software it self is A LOT bigger than a mod.
Sometimes things happen which make the time to the release increase.
Be happy whit SMF 1.1.x until 2.0 RC1 is released, or live whit the beta - "the  development stage of a software wherein the software application is released to an enthusiastic public for large-scale testing and bug discovery"

Advertisement: