News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Question About Links and Post Numbers

Started by dewdrinker19, November 28, 2008, 02:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewdrinker19

I'm just wondering if there is a way to post a link from an external source to a thread in my SMF forum and have it do a live update of how many replies are in the thread.

Example:

Thread Name (0)

or

Thread Name (3)

etc...

aldo

What exactly do you mean by external source? Do you still mean on your site? If so, you could look into SMF's SSI (youtsite.com/ssi_examples.php) and you can do something like that on your site

dewdrinker19

I'm sorry, I'm very new with SMF.

What I have is a Joomla installation that is completely separate from SMF.  I hope to bridge the users in the future but right now they aren't.

I want to write an article in Joomla and on the bottom have a link "Comments (0)" that links to a duplicate post of that article in my forums (where the "0" is how many replies the thread has).

I'm pretty noobish when it comes to SMF and this kind of thing, is there a page anywhere that talks about how to use the SSI?  Thanks for your help!

Rumbaar

No there isn't a feature of setting that I know of.  It would need to be a [Mod] request or custom code.  Once the data is in the table it's static, so a call to a function that generated the required information would be required.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: