News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Feature comparison

Started by wakewatcher, November 29, 2008, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I've been a happy smf user now for just about 4 days. (Initially installed 1.1.7)  I needed the Custom Profile Mod but for whatever yet undetermined reason it doesn't work for me.  I saw someplace that Version 2 has this built in.  I've also saw that beta 4 seems to be stable.  I'm basically happy with 1.1.7 features but was curious as to what the difference is between that and 1.1.7.  My searches haven't run across a functionality matrix yet.  Is there one?  Also it will be very important for me to have the SSI.php functionality.  Is that the same in both releases?  Thx for your help.
smf 2.0.18

aldo

A big change in SMF 2.0 is the fact that it now supports not only MySQL as a database backend, but also SQLite and PostgreSQL. SMF 2.0 also has a Moderation CP now as well.

It has some more things here and there too, and maybe another big one I am missing...

And yes, SMF 2.0 has SSI.php, I use it all the time, and I have not encountered anything less, only more :)

Oh yeah, and as you say you use SSI.php, if you are using db_query() function, you won't have that anymore because SMF 2.0 has more then 1 database type to be able to be used, so its set up differently. I have used it a bit, and I have a small tutorial explaining what I know, and it should give you a bit of an idea on how it works... But of course you can still use mysql_query without a problem (I do sometimes on my site where I use SSI, but I am working on using the new database functionality cause its cool)

snifftheglove

Feature comparision would be great.

Been a user for over 2 years now and love it especially with the TinyPortal addon.

I would like to upgrade soon buit would like to know what the beniefits are. I have always used the same default theme as I don't really like tamping with mods manually to get them to work with a certain theme. Does version 2 now allows all themes to be updated when mods and upgrade are run?

H

Sorry for the late response
No feature comparison exists because 2.0 is in beta, so we want to make it clear that for now 1.1.x is the recommended release. When we release 2.0 as stable 1.1.x will be a legacy release, so there won't really be much choice.

SSI in 2.0 actually adds some new features :)

I would like to upgrade soon buit would like to know what the beniefits are. I have always used the same default theme as I don't really like tamping with mods manually to get them to work with a certain theme. Does version 2 now allows all themes to be updated when mods and upgrade are run?

Mods will need to be reinstalled after the upgrade (as this is a major change rather than 1.1.6 > 1.1.7) however not all have been updated for 2.0 yet.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: