News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Initial membergroup setting upon joining

Started by thekid65, December 05, 2008, 02:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekid65

We've got a little problem when a new member joins the forum. When a member joins, he/she should be automatically placed into our "regular members" group. Instead, the new member isnt placed in any group, and doesnt have access to some of the forum features (kind of like a guest). So, we have to manually go in and place the new member in the "regular members" group.

I have a feeling theres a setting I'm missing somewhere, any guidance would be appreciated. Version is SMF2b4

thekid65

Thanks for that ^^^ but it doesnt look like it's compatible with SMF2b4 ?

Oldiesmann

"regular members" isn't a real group - it's just a "virtual" group containing every member who isn't in another non-post-based group.

By default they should be placed in the "Newbie" post group. Did you rename or remove the name for that group?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

thekid65

I didnt do the initial set-up of the forum, my co-admin did, who is not available at the moment. I'm pretty sure that all that was done was just a renaming of the post-based groups to fit our forum style.

So, whats happening, is that when a new member joins, in their acct settings, the primary membership group field remains blank, as opposed to being placed into our "regular group" ie, those members who are not admins/mods/or members of a private group. Hope this makes sense? I could provide a cap of our settings if this would be helpful.

Oldiesmann

It should remain blank. They should only be in the "Newbie" post group by default (or whatever it was renamed to).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

thekid65

The problem is, if it remains blank, then certain forum features arent accessible. So, perhaps if I set the "newbie" permissions the same as our "regular members" group it might solve the issue?

Edit: Scratch that...the post based members (ie, "newbie") arent assigned permissions. It's only the specific member groups that I can assign permissions to.

Oldiesmann

Have you given the "Newbie" and "Regular Members" groups access to various things?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

thekid65

Allrighty, here's a cap of our settings.. hopefully that may help you understand how the forum was set up. What we want, is when a member joins, for him/her to be automatically placed into the "CRF regs" group. Which is just the general group for all of our members. This group allows members to access forum features like chess, etc, etc.. that guests dont have access to.

I appreciate your assistance.

Oldiesmann

You can accomplish the same thing by setting permissions for the "Regular Members" group - anyone who isn't in another non-post-based group will be in this group.

However, if you do want to add them to the other group instead, you can do this:

Sources/Subs-Members.php

Find
Code (Line 648) Select
'openid_uri' => (!empty($regOptions['openid']) ? $regOptions['openid'] : ''),

Add after that
'memberGroup' => x,

Change "x" to the ID of the CRF regs group.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ke4obt

OK, tried the edit and got this error:
"Database Error: Unknown column 'memberGroup' in 'field list'

INSERT INTO smf_ezmembers(`member_name`, `email_address`, `passwd`, `password_salt`, `posts`, `date_registered`, `member_ip`, `member_ip2`, `validation_code`, `real_name`, `personal_text`, `pm_email_notify`, `id_theme`, `id_post_group`, `lngfile`, `buddy_list`, `pm_ignore_list`, `message_labels`, `website_title`, `website_url`, `location`, `icq`, `aim`, `yim`, `msn`, `time_format`, `signature`, `avatar`, `usertitle`, `secret_question`, `secret_answer`, `additional_groups`, `ignore_boards`, `smiley_set`, `openid_uri`, `memberGroup`, `is_activated`, `hide_email`)
VALUES"

I'm guessing that a column needs to be added into my database. Where should I put the field, what type of field should it be? I'm learning slowly and a lot of this programming gets me confused easily. :)
I'd really like to have my new registrations go automatically into the "New User" group, but as it is right now, they don't get registered at all. :(

Thanks in advance,
Flip

ps - if needed, I can put my Subs-Members.php file into a post to be looked at by someone who knows what they're doing. :)
Thanks Much

Flip - KE4OBT
     The Blind Ham
Helping other blind hams
get on the air!

Yes I am really a BLIND user!

So, if a mod doesn't install properly, and I can't get help from your part of the forum,
I will come begging for YOUR help since you wrote it and know how it works
um, uh, well,
At least I would really, really hope you do!
HEE-HEE-HEE

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: